PT 23 Section 2 Q 12

sshaqsb

PT 23 Section 2 Q 12

Postby sshaqsb » Wed Jun 02, 2010 1:05 pm

Hey,

I'm sure many people in the forum found this to be a relatively easy question but I'm having trouble understanding the reasoning for the correct answer choice for question 12 in section 2 of PT 23. I chose D which is very similar to the correct answer choice (B.) I'm having trouble distinguishing the difference between the two because I feel they are so similar. Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks in advance!

nycparalegal

Re: PT 23 Section 2 Q 12

Postby nycparalegal » Wed Jun 02, 2010 2:33 pm

There is a lot of formal logic in this stimulus. It is also a fact set. There is no argument.

The vast majority of countries that have a single political party have corrupt national government.

So, most countries with a single political party have a corrupt national government.

Some countries with a plurality of parties (more than one) have corrupt national governments.

I think this one is fairly obvious.

What all countries with corrupt national governments have in common is the weakness of local governments.

With this statement you know have the following:

1. Most countries with a single political party and a corrupt national government have a weak local government

2. Some countries with a plurality of parties (more than one) and a corrupt national government have a weak local government.

Now, B basically restates point 2.

D is saying that most countries with a weak local government have a single political party, but we don't know anything about most countries with weak local governments.

Does that make sense?

sshaqsb

Re: PT 23 Section 2 Q 12

Postby sshaqsb » Mon Jun 07, 2010 2:44 pm

I read up on Formal Logic and this makes much more sense now with your explanation. Thanks a ton!

Return to “LSAT Prep and Discussion Forum”