Which test: October or December?? Forum

Prepare for the LSAT or discuss it with others in this forum.
jfb

Bronze

Which test: October or December??

Post by jfb » Wed Jun 02, 2010 9:52 am

Planning on retaking, putting in applications this fall and want to have apps in as early as I can. Assuming I make it clear on my apps that I have a pending score, does it make much of a difference if I take the Oct. or Dec. test as long as the rest of my application is in early? Does the potential benifit from 2 more months of prep outweigh any disadvantage of a school receiving my score a little bit later in the cycle? Thanks.

mazzini

Bronze

Re: Which test: October or December??

Post by mazzini » Wed Jun 02, 2010 10:07 am

That all depends on what score range you are practicing at, whether your PT scores are irratic from one to the next, and whether you feel comfortable laying it on the line in October. Keep in mind also that the december curve is usually a bit more forgiving, this is not to say that it's an easier test; however, I personally benefitted from a rediculous curve last year when I was faced with the same decision that you currently are.

jfb

Bronze

Post by jfb » Wed Jun 02, 2010 10:18 am

mazzini wrote:That all depends on what score range you are practicing at, whether your PT scores are irratic from one to the next, and whether you feel comfortable laying it on the line in October. Keep in mind also that the december curve is usually a bit more forgiving, this is not to say that it's an easier test; however, I personally benefitted from a rediculous curve last year when I was faced with the same decision that you currently are.
Did you apply that same cycle? If so, was there any issues with not having your most recent score on file until Jaunary (or whenever schools received your score)??

mazzini

Bronze

Post by mazzini » Wed Jun 02, 2010 10:24 am

Yes but didn't even apply until late January/early Februrary... I was waitlisted at the majority of schools I applied to, I'd like to think it's because I was so foolish about the application process; however, I did get into some good schools and will be attending at T20. The best advice I can offer for someone who will be somewhat mid to late in the cycle is to apply to a lot of schools, as many as you can afford to. I don't think it will be too detrimental to you, especially because you will already be a strong consideration with that GPA.

jfb

Bronze

Post by jfb » Wed Jun 02, 2010 10:32 am

Thanks a lot, I appreciate the input

LSAT Blog

Silver

Post by LSAT Blog » Wed Jun 02, 2010 10:54 am

Law schools can't consider your application until they receive at least one LSAT score.

Suppose you submit your before taking in, let's say, December, and you've already taken it once before.

There is a risk that law schools would make a decision on your application without waiting for your December score - even if you tell them to wait. Offices can be busy and disorganized as a result.

-Steve

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Return to “LSAT Prep and Discussion Forum”