PT 57 Questions

Knock

PT 57 Questions

Postby Knock » Tue Jun 01, 2010 11:51 pm

So I don't have the explanations for this PT, so I have a few questions I hope someone can help me with:

Section 2 (LR #1) Question 12. I was between D and E but I chose E, but it ended up being D. Can someone explain why E is wrong, why D is right, and how I could've chosen between them during the test.

Section 3 (LR#2) Question 7; I was between C and D, chose D but C was correct. Same deal.

Thanks guys.

Edit: Fixed typo
Last edited by Knock on Wed Jun 02, 2010 12:10 am, edited 1 time in total.

zworykin

Re: PT 57 Questions

Postby zworykin » Wed Jun 02, 2010 12:09 am

2.12:
All crim.orgs aim to make profits and this technical revolution will generate profit; therefore, crim.orgs will undoubtedly try to become involved in this revolution

D) Pretty straight-forward. Any org that aims to make a profit will try to become involved in a profitable technical revolution. This allows the conclusion to be properly drawn.
E) There's no evidence that the activities mentioned in the stimulus are legal. Out of scope, yes?

3.7 (assuming the "section 3" was correct and the "lr#1" was a mistake):

You had this down to C and D so I'll ignore the rest.

We're looking for "what does a humanist mistakenly believe about a scientist?"

C) Lines 44-47 state that science does not depend exclusively on measurable data, and the humanities can profit from attempts at controlled evaluation. This is in the context of pointing out misunderstandings the two sides have of each other.
D) Lines 19-24 say that "people who believe this" (that is, humanists), assert that the human mind has an irreducible spiritual element and for that reason can never be explained by scientists. It's the humanists who recognize the spiritual element, and claim that the scientists never will. A humanist would never believe what answer D states; they would in fact believe the opposite.

Really, I think the elimination of D is much stronger than the explicit support for C.

Knock

Postby Knock » Wed Jun 02, 2010 12:11 am

zworykin wrote:2.12:
All crim.orgs aim to make profits and this technical revolution will generate profit; therefore, crim.orgs will undoubtedly try to become involved in this revolution

D) Pretty straight-forward. Any org that aims to make a profit will try to become involved in a profitable technical revolution. This allows the conclusion to be properly drawn.
E) There's no evidence that the activities mentioned in the stimulus are legal. Out of scope, yes?

3.7 (assuming the "section 3" was correct and the "lr#1" was a mistake):

You had this down to C and D so I'll ignore the rest.

We're looking for "what does a humanist mistakenly believe about a scientist?"

C) Lines 44-47 state that science does not depend exclusively on measurable data, and the humanities can profit from attempts at controlled evaluation. This is in the context of pointing out misunderstandings the two sides have of each other.
D) Lines 19-24 say that "people who believe this" (that is, humanists), assert that the human mind has an irreducible spiritual element and for that reason can never be explained by scientists. It's the humanists who recognize the spiritual element, and claim that the scientists never will. A humanist would never believe what answer D states; they would in fact believe the opposite.

Really, I think the elimination of D is much stronger than the explicit support for C.

I think you picked section 4 there. The question i'm looking for involves plankton and viruses.

Thanks a lot

zworykin

Postby zworykin » Wed Jun 02, 2010 12:19 am

Apparently my test 57 is not arranged the same as yours. It was provided by a friend; no idea where he got it from. It looks like a photocopy of something from a test prep company or something though, not a standard pt. So, yeah. Plankton question, here goes:

Virus removed from water, plankton population decreased rather than increasing dramatically as the researchers expected.

How can we explain why "less viruses" leads to "less plankton" ?

C) Plankton eat the stuff that's killed by viruses ==> no viruses means less dead stuff for plankton to eat, which leads to many sad, hungry plankton starving to death.
D) Absence of viruses can facilitate the flourishing of bacteria that sometimes damage other organisms. This isn't terrible, but the bacteria wouldn't necessarily harm the plankton. So this may or may not actually help explain the results.

Knock

Postby Knock » Wed Jun 02, 2010 12:22 am

zworykin wrote:Apparently my test 57 is not arranged the same as yours. It was provided by a friend; no idea where he got it from. It looks like a photocopy of something from a test prep company or something though, not a standard pt. So, yeah. Plankton question, here goes:

Virus removed from water, plankton population decreased rather than increasing dramatically as the researchers expected.

How can we explain why "less viruses" leads to "less plankton" ?

C) Plankton eat the stuff that's killed by viruses ==> no viruses means less dead stuff for plankton to eat, which leads to many sad, hungry plankton starving to death.
D) Absence of viruses can facilitate the flourishing of bacteria that sometimes damage other organisms. This isn't terrible, but the bacteria wouldn't necessarily harm the plankton. So this may or may not actually help explain the results.

Hmm...both of these show one of my biggest weaknesses, trying to over think and over reason sometimes when I shouldn't. I spent a while thinking about whether this seawater sample would include any organisms. I figured it wouldn't so the viruses wouldn't have anything to kill, so C couldn't be the reason. Obviously not lol.

I guess it came down to there (assuming there theres stuff for the virus to kill, which was not an assumption I made), was that C was ~"must be true" while D was ~"could be true". If there are no viruses and no food then there must be less plankton; but if potentially harmful bacteria are eliminated, then it could be true. So the ~"must be true" is the credited response.

Thanks a lot zworykin. How are you coming along on your prep and whats you're game plan for this last week? I saw you were hitting some fantastic scores on some other thread.

Gemini

Postby Gemini » Sat Oct 02, 2010 1:23 pm

Hi I had a problem with number 12 of LR1 as well (the criminologist argument). D was sooooo tempting but I ended up not choosing it because I felt it was too broad. ANY organization? If it said any CRIMINAL organization, I wouldve chosen it. I am really worried about this because this isn't the first time I didn't chose an answer I felt was too broad that ended up being right. I chose B by the way, for those interested. Thanks!

sayruss11

Postby sayruss11 » Sun Oct 03, 2010 11:30 am

Return to “LSAT Prep and Discussion Forum”