PT58 Reading Comp Q23 and 26

harvardgurl4eva

PT58 Reading Comp Q23 and 26

Postby harvardgurl4eva » Tue Jun 01, 2010 3:11 pm

Not only do I not understand why the correct answers are right, I think the answers I chose were better...

WhatSarahSaid

Re: PT58 Reading Comp Q23 and 26

Postby WhatSarahSaid » Tue Jun 01, 2010 3:16 pm

23 is kind of an iffy one, but the passage states that people are overwhelmed by music that is complex and disorganized and look for coherence; at the same time, they want a little bit of complexity. A is out because it isn't complex or intricate. C is irrelevant. D is out, too (nothing is mentioned about fastness), and E is out. B is the closest answer, because "clear and easy to follow" fits what the passage said.

I'm not sure what you could have picked for 26. A is out because no biology is mentioned, C is out because no other art forms are mentioned, D is out because no cultural patterns are mentioned, and E is out because no composers are mentioned (or "meaning," for that matter). Both passages are all about psychology and listener responses.

harvardgurl4eva

Postby harvardgurl4eva » Wed Jun 02, 2010 6:56 pm

WhatSarahSaid wrote:23 is kind of an iffy one, but the passage states that people are overwhelmed by music that is complex and disorganized and look for coherence; at the same time, they want a little bit of complexity. A is out because it isn't complex or intricate. C is irrelevant. D is out, too (nothing is mentioned about fastness), and E is out. B is the closest answer, because "clear and easy to follow" fits what the passage said.

I'm not sure what you could have picked for 26. A is out because no biology is mentioned, C is out because no other art forms are mentioned, D is out because no cultural patterns are mentioned, and E is out because no composers are mentioned (or "meaning," for that matter). Both passages are all about psychology and listener responses.

23. The passage says that there must be a "measure of intricacy" and also talks about the relaxation provided by a safe continuous sound e.g. white noise.

26. Yeah I actually got this right and graded it incorrectly. Thanks anyway

jmc8y

Postby jmc8y » Wed Jun 02, 2010 7:36 pm

23 I actually took a risk on this one and chose B before reading the rest. I think the trick here is just focus on that paragraph because the rest kind of complicates this view, and passage B does so even more.

A. White noise is one tone, boring.
B. Has the coherence and meaning people want - correct
C. size is irrelevant here
D. Speed is irrelevant
E. taste is as well.

Return to “LSAT Prep and Discussion Forum”