a

mz253

a

Postby mz253 » Mon May 31, 2010 4:45 pm

deleted
Last edited by mz253 on Mon May 31, 2010 10:08 pm, edited 1 time in total.

WWAD

Re: consequence of working on other sections?

Postby WWAD » Mon May 31, 2010 4:47 pm

I would not do it. I think there are lots of times you could get by with it and may even just get a warning, but read the LSAC site to see what they say. I would also guess, based on you asking this question, you will make a good lawyer.
Last edited by WWAD on Mon May 31, 2010 4:48 pm, edited 1 time in total.

lsat_doobie

Postby lsat_doobie » Mon May 31, 2010 4:47 pm

Proctors probably didn't see her because of the test centre.. if you do get caught I'm pretty sure they red flag your test and notify LSAC that you did that. It isn't like getting caught with a bottle of water during a section or anything..

bk1

Postby bk1 » Mon May 31, 2010 4:48 pm

Risk versus reward seems low here.

If you get caught I believe that it gets noted in your LSAC file and that will be sent to all schools you apply to.

Bildungsroman

Postby Bildungsroman » Mon May 31, 2010 4:49 pm

mz253 wrote:well, i consistently have 5-10 minutes left for my game section. i wonder what's the consequence of getting caught if i work on other sections? my friend told me that she took LSAT twice and she worked on different sections in both times and didn't get caught. i wonder if she's just lucky or most proctors don't care?

If you get caught, you get kicked out and law schools will be told that you were kicked out for breaking the rules.

Your friend sounds like an idiot. If you think about cheating on the LSAT, you're an idiot and a dirtbag.

honestabe84

Postby honestabe84 » Mon May 31, 2010 4:50 pm

lsat_doobie wrote:Proctors probably didn't see her because of the test centre.. if you do get caught I'm pretty sure they red flag your test and notify LSAC that you did that. It isn't like getting caught with a bottle of water during a section or anything..

+1 Doing something like that and getting caught is probably equivalent to getting caught for plagiarism in college, as far as adcomms are concerned.

d34d9823

Postby d34d9823 » Mon May 31, 2010 4:51 pm

Ignoring the ethical basis, I think the cost-benefit analysis is heavily predicated on where you're sitting in the room. If you're in a place where the proctors can't easily see your test, you're probably OK. If you have an aisle directly behind you or something similar where they could sneak up on you: *danger Will Robinson*.

mz253

Postby mz253 » Mon May 31, 2010 4:54 pm

why i would be a good lawyer?

well, i know it's an unethical question. i'm just so frustrated that my english reading sucks... i have only been with english for like 7-8 years while most test takers have been with english since you guys were born... but anyway, i guess i should go by the rule..

WWAD wrote:I would not do it. I think there are lots of times you could get by with it and may even just get a warning, but read the LSAC site to see what they say. I would also guess, based on you asking this question, you will make a good lawyer.

JasonR

Postby JasonR » Mon May 31, 2010 4:58 pm

If you get caught, you're fucked. They won't just give you a warning. You will get kicked out of the exam, the infraction will be permanently noted in your LSAC file, and you can kiss the possibility of admission to any decent law school goodbye forever. Just a small price to pay.

bartleby

Postby bartleby » Mon May 31, 2010 4:59 pm

Ignoring the ethical basis, I still wouldn't do it. You are already going to be wired taking the biggest exam of your life. To worry about getting caught or if you are in a section thinking maybe I can come back to this section, maybe I can't... seems like a lot to juggle in addition to being sharp.

If I finish games early and double check everything and still have 5 minutes left, I would look over my other sections' scantron maybe. In December, I didn't bubble an answer I would've gotten correct well enough. I would definitely go back and bubble some bubbles that look weak (though this is "wrong" also). I would definitely not actually go back and do other sections.

d34d9823

Postby d34d9823 » Mon May 31, 2010 5:01 pm

JasonR wrote:If you get caught, you're fucked. They won't just give you a warning. You will get kicked out of the exam, the infraction will be permanently noted in your LSAC file, and you can kiss the possibility of admission to any decent law school goodbye forever. Just a small price to pay.

I think this is highly dependent on how "caught" you are, though. There's a big difference between another student claiming it and the proctor actually watching you do it for an extended period of time. I would think the consequences would vary with the degree of deniability that the proctor's report allowed for.

JasonR

Postby JasonR » Mon May 31, 2010 5:06 pm

I guess. But out of dozens of stories of people getting caught for various infractions, I've never read of anyone being turned in by another test-taker. The vast majority of people aren't paying attention to what anyone else is doing. If you get in trouble, it's virtually certain that it's going to be for something the proctor saw himself. And if he/she caught you working on another section, you're fucked.

honestabe84

Postby honestabe84 » Mon May 31, 2010 5:17 pm

mz253 wrote:why i would be a good lawyer?

well, i know it's an unethical question. i'm just so frustrated that my english reading sucks... i have only been with english for like 7-8 years while most test takers have been with english since you guys were born... but anyway, i guess i should go by the rule..

That doesn't justify cheating on the LSAT.

Bildungsroman

Postby Bildungsroman » Mon May 31, 2010 5:27 pm

d34dluk3 wrote:
JasonR wrote:If you get caught, you're fucked. They won't just give you a warning. You will get kicked out of the exam, the infraction will be permanently noted in your LSAC file, and you can kiss the possibility of admission to any decent law school goodbye forever. Just a small price to pay.

I think this is highly dependent on how "caught" you are, though. There's a big difference between another student claiming it and the proctor actually watching you do it for an extended period of time. I would think the consequences would vary with the degree of deniability that the proctor's report allowed for.

This is NOT the credited response. If a proctor sees you with your test booklet open to a passage you're not allowed to be working on, it doesn't matter at all how long it was going on for or what you were actually doing, you are violating a major rule. LSAC won't listen to any bullshit excuses: if you get caught with your book open to the wrong section, every law school you apply to will know that you were cheating, and if you think law schools will give two shits worth of attention to any explanation you try and provide then you're clearly not intelligent enough for law school. If one test-taker just claims to have observed another test-taker cheating then I doubt anything would happen to you, but the second its observed by the proctor any defense goes right out the window.

let/them/eat/cake

Postby let/them/eat/cake » Mon May 31, 2010 5:35 pm

honestabe84 wrote:
mz253 wrote:why i would be a good lawyer?

That doesn't justify cheating on the LSAT.

love the subtle indication that he is indeed telling the truth though. or else an alt-persona creator w/ attention to detail.

pu_golf88

Postby pu_golf88 » Mon May 31, 2010 5:42 pm

I just love reading some people's justification for cheating.

beef wellington

Postby beef wellington » Mon May 31, 2010 5:49 pm

Fuck cheaters.

honestabe84

Postby honestabe84 » Mon May 31, 2010 5:51 pm

beef wellington wrote:Fuck cheaters.

But English is his second language.

sluguy14

Postby sluguy14 » Mon May 31, 2010 5:52 pm

There's no way this can fail horribly and completely crush any dream you had of ever going to law school! Ignore the haters, I say do it.

pinkzeppelin

Postby pinkzeppelin » Mon May 31, 2010 6:05 pm

This is extremely risky and extremely obvious. Don't do it unless you don't plan on going to law school and you're just taking the LSAT because it sounds like a grand old time.

Bankhead

Postby Bankhead » Mon May 31, 2010 6:44 pm

Your legal career will be over before it starts. Don't ever do this.

LSAT Blog

Postby LSAT Blog » Mon May 31, 2010 10:05 pm

Bankhead wrote:Your legal career will be over before it starts. Don't ever do this.

+1

http://www.lsac.org/Applying/misconduct ... rities.asp

dub

Re: a

Postby dub » Mon May 31, 2010 10:57 pm

does it hurt being stupid?

jdhopeful11

Postby jdhopeful11 » Tue Jun 01, 2010 12:28 am

Bildungsroman wrote:
d34dluk3 wrote:

This is NOT the credited response. If a proctor sees you with your test booklet open to a passage you're not allowed to be working on, it doesn't matter at all how long it was going on for or what you were actually doing, you are violating a major rule. LSAC won't listen to any bullshit excuses: if you get caught with your book open to the wrong section, every law school you apply to will know that you were cheating, and if you think law schools will give two shits worth of attention to any explanation you try and provide then you're clearly not intelligent enough for law school. If one test-taker just claims to have observed another test-taker cheating then I doubt anything would happen to you, but the second its observed by the proctor any defense goes right out the window.

Proctor's don't know what section you are supposed to be working in. The tests vary.

worldwithoutend

Postby worldwithoutend » Tue Jun 01, 2010 12:33 am

andyman wrote:Proctor's don't know what section you are supposed to be working in. The tests vary.

The sections are numbered.

Just don't cheat.

Return to “LSAT Prep and Discussion Forum”