PT 56, Sec. 2, #20 (LR) Forum

Prepare for the LSAT or discuss it with others in this forum.
splitterhopeful

New

PT 56, Sec. 2, #20 (LR)

Post by splitterhopeful » Mon May 31, 2010 5:59 am

I chose answer C) when it should have been E). The two look a little too similar to me and I had it down between them before finally picking the wrong one. Any insight into the vital difference that makes one right and one wrong? Would really appreciate it!

shock259

Gold

Re: PT 56, Sec. 2, #20 (LR)

Post by shock259 » Mon May 31, 2010 8:51 am

I JUST did this test! I actually initially bubbled C, but changed it to E after I read all of the answers.

C is too strongly worded for the stimulus. Psychotherapy should NEVER be provided when there is ANY chance that it might be of less than high quality.

The stimulus says that talk radio and providing psychotherapy are almost always incompatible, thus psychotherapy should never be provided on talk shows.

E still has the word never in it, but is less strongly worded. Psychotherapists should never ATTEMPT to provide psychological help in a manner that makes it UNLIKELY to be of high quality.

While we are on this test, can you help me with one?

PT 56, Sec 2, #16. A seems to almost be a direct paraphrase of the last sentence. I can see why D is correct, but I can't see why A is incorrect.

Thanks!

zworykin

Bronze

Post by zworykin » Mon May 31, 2010 12:12 pm

Yeah, that's how I made the choice between them as well. C is too strong--if therapists should NEVER work when there's a CHANCE of doing less than high quality work, then they could never work at all. Even when they're in their own office, there's always a CHANCE that they won't do good work, right?

As to Q16:

The conclusion is that the company was engaging in an unethical business practice. Answer A talks about the customers engaging in unethical personal behavior. That doesn't really justify the conclusion because encouraging people to behave in unethical personal behavior is not necessarily an unethical business practice in itself. Answer D, on the other hand, describes what the company is doing as unethical. That would seem to justify the argument quite neatly.

mz253

Bronze

Post by mz253 » Mon May 31, 2010 4:13 pm

hey, i have a completely different intepretation for this question.

well, i focus more on the conclusion. it says "psychotherapists should never provide psychotherapy on talk shows". so basically, the conclusion says psychotherapist should blah blah blah.

but C, it says "psychotherapy should not be provided...", it didn't say anything about what "psychotherapists" should or should not do.

but i wonder if that's valid?
shock259 wrote:I JUST did this test! I actually initially bubbled C, but changed it to E after I read all of the answers.

C is too strongly worded for the stimulus. Psychotherapy should NEVER be provided when there is ANY chance that it might be of less than high quality.

The stimulus says that talk radio and providing psychotherapy are almost always incompatible, thus psychotherapy should never be provided on talk shows.

E still has the word never in it, but is less strongly worded. Psychotherapists should never ATTEMPT to provide psychological help in a manner that makes it UNLIKELY to be of high quality.

While we are on this test, can you help me with one?

PT 56, Sec 2, #16. A seems to almost be a direct paraphrase of the last sentence. I can see why D is correct, but I can't see why A is incorrect.

Thanks!

Chimica

New

Post by Chimica » Mon May 31, 2010 4:30 pm

mz253 wrote:hey, i have a completely different intepretation for this question.

well, i focus more on the conclusion. it says "psychotherapists should never provide psychotherapy on talk shows". so basically, the conclusion says psychotherapist should blah blah blah.

but C, it says "psychotherapy should not be provided...", it didn't say anything about what "psychotherapists" should or should not do.

but i wonder if that's valid?

That is what I went with too (after choosing the wong answer officially). The squib specifies that psychotherapists should never provide psychotherapy on talk shows. It doesn't say anything about other people providing psychotherapy .

But that kinda involves an assumption that other people could provide psychotherapy.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

zworykin

Bronze

Post by zworykin » Mon May 31, 2010 8:29 pm

Yeah... it works alright on this question, but I'm not certain I'd feel comfortable making that leap in general.

BeachedBrit

Bronze

Post by BeachedBrit » Tue Oct 05, 2010 1:41 pm

I reached the latter conclusion after narrowing it down to those two choices, I don't see how its a problem as we should not bring in any non-obvious outside info to the problem and to me it isn't obvious that psychotherapy can only be provided by a psychotherapist/psychologist nor is that info in the stimulus thus we can safely assume that anyone can possibly provide it.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Return to “LSAT Prep and Discussion Forum”