Logical Reasoning Studying

signature17
Posts: 4
Joined: Tue Nov 10, 2009 4:20 pm

Logical Reasoning Studying

Postby signature17 » Sun May 30, 2010 7:28 pm

I got the Powerscore Logical Reasoning Bible and I'm starting to go through it. It seems like there is a ton of information and exercises that take time to study but may not benefit my score all that much.

Anybody have a good method for increasing logical reasoning in the most efficient way?

User avatar
jeremydc
Posts: 267
Joined: Sun Feb 14, 2010 4:13 pm

Re: Logical Reasoning Studying

Postby jeremydc » Sun May 30, 2010 7:41 pm

Yah, I have been reading it and it is a lot to handle but after every section there is a review page that basically summarizes the entire chapter. You wont remember everything but main points should be retained such as how to find the premises and conclusions.

For me, I am halfway through the book and cant remember some of the info but when I look at PT questions, I recognize things from the book and it helps.

Read the book, do the exercises and comprehend why the answers are wrong/right then do PTs.

Nothing can prepare you more for the LSAT than doing as much PTs (untimed 1st, timed 2nd).

Anyways the experts should chime in with additional info.

We are in the same boat but I think that reading the bibles, doing the exercises then doing the Pts should yield high LSAT results but only if you are consistent.

User avatar
confusedlawyer
Posts: 136
Joined: Thu May 27, 2010 11:21 am

Re: Logical Reasoning Studying

Postby confusedlawyer » Sun May 30, 2010 8:38 pm

signature17 wrote:I got the Powerscore Logical Reasoning Bible and I'm starting to go through it. It seems like there is a ton of information and exercises that take time to study but may not benefit my score all that much.

Anybody have a good method for increasing logical reasoning in the most efficient way?


You JUST started? You should have a firm grasp of the concepts by now the test is only 8 days away

User avatar
WhatSarahSaid
Posts: 293
Joined: Tue Jun 02, 2009 2:01 pm

Re: Logical Reasoning Studying

Postby WhatSarahSaid » Sun May 30, 2010 9:48 pm

confusedlawyer wrote:
signature17 wrote:I got the Powerscore Logical Reasoning Bible and I'm starting to go through it. It seems like there is a ton of information and exercises that take time to study but may not benefit my score all that much.

Anybody have a good method for increasing logical reasoning in the most efficient way?


You JUST started? You should have a firm grasp of the concepts by now the test is only 8 days away


He could be prepping for October.

jjlaw
Posts: 299
Joined: Thu Dec 31, 2009 1:43 pm

Re: Logical Reasoning Studying

Postby jjlaw » Sun May 30, 2010 9:50 pm

I would read over the LRB and buy Kaplan Mastery on Amazon, which is organized by question type with explanations. The explanations helped me at first, but within time, I realized that they left a lot to be desired, especially for some of the harder questions. Still, it provides great practice and because of the way it's organized, you can attack one type of question and start to see the patterns in the stimuli and answer choices.

User avatar
Chimica
Posts: 85
Joined: Wed May 26, 2010 3:30 pm

Re: Logical Reasoning Studying

Postby Chimica » Mon May 31, 2010 12:14 am

Also (assuming you don't plan to do all 50+ tests in full) you can get a collection of of LR questions that were deemed the most difficult on tests 1-38. This is 400 questions and is quite useful for trying the most difficult of the LR.

Also, everyone says it is useful to keep track of every single question you got incorrect and review those to find your weaknesses.

User avatar
Blindsided
Posts: 8
Joined: Sat Jun 28, 2008 7:38 pm

Re: Logical Reasoning Studying

Postby Blindsided » Mon May 31, 2010 10:22 am

Before going through the LR bible I was scoring -12 to -15 on lr sections the first time I took them. After going through the LR bible I was scoring -12 to -15 on the lr sections the first time I took them. After doing about 3 or 4 timed lr sections, going through the entire section untimed afterward, then going through the same section timed again, my lr score jumped +10 (-2 to -5) for first attempts at the section.

I also took notes and wrote down notes on hard questions and wrote down why each answer was wrong or right

jjlaw
Posts: 299
Joined: Thu Dec 31, 2009 1:43 pm

Re: Logical Reasoning Studying

Postby jjlaw » Mon May 31, 2010 1:29 pm

Blindsided wrote:I also took notes and wrote down notes on hard questions and wrote down why each answer was wrong or right


+1
I don't do this for every question that I miss, but for the ones that really stumped me or I circled as unsure on a PT, I try to do this. It really helps to break down the stimulus, analyze why each answer choice is right or wrong. If you can get into the underlying structure of how LR works in general, you will be able to spot patterns and get through the section quicker and more accurately.




Return to “LSAT Prep and Discussion Forum”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Baidu [Spider] and 4 guests