Reading Section!

mitz1489

Reading Section!

Postby mitz1489 » Sat May 29, 2010 6:06 pm

Ok, So I know this is probably everyone's easiest section, but for some reason my scores on the reading comprehension section keep fluctuating anywhere from missing 5 to missing 10! Any last minute tips?! :(

Taffybear2

Re: Reading Section!

Postby Taffybear2 » Sat May 29, 2010 6:25 pm

I just started using a highlighter and I went from missing 12-7 to only 3 on my last exam, also timing my sections a little more closely helped.

confusedlawyer

Postby confusedlawyer » Sat May 29, 2010 7:14 pm

This is my worst section to, consistently miss anywhere from 7 to 5. My tip would be eliminate the answer choices you know are wrong and pick 2 that are left, and chack those 2 in the passage, you have to be careful with time though

uchicago

Postby uchicago » Sun May 30, 2010 1:21 am

confusedlawyer wrote:This is my worst section to, consistently miss anywhere from 7 to 5. My tip would be eliminate the answer choices you know are wrong and pick 2 that are left, and chack those 2 in the passage, you have to be careful with time though

Thats what i do in evey section, especially LR.... :wink:

shock259

Postby shock259 » Sun May 30, 2010 11:51 am

Reading comprehension is about really getting into what you are reading. FOCUS on it. THINK about it while reading. GET EXCITED about it. This can vary in difficulty depending on the nature of the passage.

Personally, I think highlighting and underlining/circling/noting slows me down. I don't do any of it. I just read closely and quickly, then consult the passage again if I need to. I can usually remember the details quite vividly for a few minutes. I take about 2 minutes to read the passage, then the remaining portion on the questions.

Practice with different styles until you find one that works best for you.

alicrimson

Postby alicrimson » Sun May 30, 2010 12:00 pm

RC is hands down my best and most consistent section and what I typically do is spend a good four minutes or so reading and diagramming the passage and then I go answer questions. I know people typically also say only spend 8:45/section but I tend to spend longer on passages with 8 questions because I know I'll "makeup" the time in the comparative passage or one of the passages with five questions. I can't stress, read for comprehension enough. These passages are short enough that anything the author says is going to be important and used for something and nothing is worse than spending a minute and a half flying through a passage only to realize that you have no idea what you just read and you have to go reread 2 more times or attempt to answer questions while reading. Good luck!

EnayWrote

Postby EnayWrote » Sun May 30, 2010 7:29 pm

shock259 wrote:Reading comprehension is about really getting into what you are reading. FOCUS on it. THINK about it while reading. GET EXCITED about it. This can vary in difficulty depending on the nature of the passage.

Personally, I think highlighting and underlining/circling/noting slows me down. I don't do any of it. I just read closely and quickly, then consult the passage again if I need to. I can usually remember the details quite vividly for a few minutes. I take about 2 minutes to read the passage, then the remaining portion on the questions.

That's exactly how I work. Any markings totally make me move at a snails pace. I like to create the entire passage in my head similar to a movie and I remember all of the little parts through visualization.

BrightLine

Postby BrightLine » Sun May 30, 2010 7:59 pm

This is my worst section as well. I am just as likely to miss 5 as I am to miss zero. It is very frustrating :x .

Return to “LSAT Prep and Discussion Forum”