kaplan course for $11000?

hotchkiss1

Re: kaplan course for $11000?

Postby hotchkiss1 » Tue Dec 06, 2011 2:35 am

Kaplan should work out a better business plan and out compete every body everywhere about everything, all the standardized test, after school tutoring for k12, acting coach, science fair help.... competition aid.... so when they have dominated every education related field, it would give us some opportunities to take advantage of their stock offering. People would spend mad amount of money into it cuase what do you know, k12 fails.

And one they, the Kaplan ECO feels like the smartest guy in the room and makes the company like Eron, then the cycle begins again in a distant future

Jeffort

Postby Jeffort » Tue Dec 06, 2011 9:40 am

KDLMaj wrote:
indo wrote:
calicocat wrote:Knew someone who took this course. They were proud of their 158.

That person must be loaded and do not know how to study.
I am wondering what kind of lawyer he/she will be after paying $$$$ and only get 158 ?

My boyfriend got in the low 150s. He now makes $250,000 a year at a top law firm that most of the people on this forum won't ever have a prayer of getting an interview with. His best friend did even worse, and he now makes over $300,000 as a lawyer for a major tech company.

You do the math.

Epic Kaplan trolling. The claims are Image Image absurd in reality land. Since they made me lmao I'd give KDLMaj a 152 for creativity, effort, and humor value.

crv8623

Postby crv8623 » Wed Dec 07, 2011 10:36 am

Jeffort wrote:
KDLMaj wrote:
indo wrote:
calicocat wrote:Knew someone who took this course. They were proud of their 158.

That person must be loaded and do not know how to study.
I am wondering what kind of lawyer he/she will be after paying $$$$ and only get 158 ?

My boyfriend got in the low 150s. He now makes $250,000 a year at a top law firm that most of the people on this forum won't ever have a prayer of getting an interview with. His best friend did even worse, and he now makes over $300,000 as a lawyer for a major tech company.

You do the math.

Epic Kaplan trolling. The claims are Image Image absurd in reality land. Since they made me lmao I'd give KDLMaj a 152 for creativity, effort, and humor value.

AGREED

Yardbird

Postby Yardbird » Wed Dec 07, 2011 1:48 pm

the four person apartment suites which they speak of are in BU's high rise apartment buildings which run close to $14k during the academic year. That explains why it's well above the non housing option, but seriously...7k for 6 tests?

gaud

Postby gaud » Wed Dec 07, 2011 3:05 pm

$11,000 for ANY LSAT prep is completely outrageous in my mind

Mr.Binks

Postby Mr.Binks » Fri Dec 09, 2011 1:29 pm

gaud wrote:$11,000 for ANY LSAT prep is completely outrageous in my mind

Agreed. I find that courses seem almost pointless other than to "force" you to study (i.e., you're paying someone a lot of money to remind you to study). Sure, they can provide some insight that books don't offer, but not really any that's worth thousands more...

shock259

Postby shock259 » Fri Dec 09, 2011 4:30 pm

Anecdotal evidence is anecdotal.

Also, I like the necro bump. This thread is a year and a half old and a Kaplan guy had to come here and defend the program.

soitgoes9

Postby soitgoes9 » Fri Dec 09, 2011 6:51 pm

1. powerscore
2 testmasters
3 http://lsatblog.blogspot.com/ I'm sure he would do a 1 on 1 that would be better and cheaper.

LawGirlAtx

Postby LawGirlAtx » Wed Oct 15, 2014 1:11 pm

KDLMaj wrote:
Both of them went to the same no name law school in San Diego. And neither of them had connections to anything.

I know all the 20 year-olds on these forums like to pretend that they have much of an idea of how the real world works, but let me boil down a few things for you:

The LSAT has a far stronger correlation to the school you attend than it does your capacity to practice law because the LSAT is in a format the bears little or no resemblance to the actual practice of law. (Picture your average secretarial job combined with your average undergraduate research job, combine them, and you have your typical legal job)

The law school you go to matters the most for corporate law firm jobs and academia, but as you move outward to other positions its weight dramatically decreases.

The reason why the LSAT is strongly correlated with Bar passage rates is that both of them are intense, timed tests that require a lot of study skills. And if you do well on intense, timed tests and have great study skills then you'll do well on each of those.

For those same reasons, the LSAT is strongly correlated with first year law school grades. Because it's a test designed to assess your aptitude for the *study* of law- not its practice, which is generally irrelevant in law school.

Having said that, the LSAT is incredibly important because it gets you into a school where you *might* actually be able to get a job these days in a corporate law firm of your choosing (presence of a soul not required), and, more importantly, because it can pay your way through.

But it doesn't tell you how great a lawyer you're going to be. It never has. It never will. That's not its job.

You are my hero. This site is useful as far as understanding the application process a little more, but most of these people have never worked in a law firm nor understand what 99% of legal positions entail. They'll be very shocked when they don't end up in big law earning $160+ and losing sleep over the stress of paying sticker for their T14 education. For those with the top numbers it's a no-brainer to attend a T14+ because they have financial incentive, for those who aren't one of those elite, it's an idiotic decision. Side note: it's awfully impressive how many people obtain a 170+ when statistically those people are like unicorns. I'm so sure all of these people are in the 97th percentile :roll:

GreenTee

Postby GreenTee » Wed Oct 15, 2014 1:57 pm

LawGirlAtx wrote:Side note: it's awfully impressive how many people obtain a 170+ when statistically those people are like unicorns. I'm so sure all of these people are in the 97th percentile :roll:

First of all, worst necro ever.

Second of all, the reason this site has a disproportionate number of 170+ scorers is that 97% of the test taking population is not willing to put in the staggering amount of work it takes to get there.

It's considered the norm on this site to drill intensely 4-6 hours per day for six months to a year before sitting for this test. And even then, plenty of people have to go through the whole process over again on a retake to hit 170+. I think it's perfectly reasonable to say that 97% of "Hey-maybe-I'll-take-the-LSAT-next-month" test takers do not do the kind of backbreaking work that we do here on TLS.

You're looking for the wrong kind of unicorn.

Also, this is the best post ITT:

willwash wrote:The problem isn't Kaplan. The problem is people. They (Kaplan) charge a fair market price for what they provide...it's just that what they provide is so unnecessary. It's like fat people who think they need a personal trainer to get in shape. No dumbass, here's some shoes, there's the road. Go run. You can buy all the LSATs from LSAC or Cambridge for a few hundred bucks and people on TLS are happy to explain why your wrong answers are wrong.

blue182king

Postby blue182king » Wed Oct 15, 2014 1:59 pm

Other prep courses offer these sorts of things.
TM has a one-on-one full course option for $8,000+
Individual tutors offer $5,000-10,000+ packages.
For an elite private university (offering valuable social and cultural capital), your uGPA can cost $200,000. Law school will be just as expensive. $8k for LSAT prep is a drop in the bucket when that three number score is substantively determinant of where one ends up studying law.

If someone can afford it, then it is not outrageous.

GreenTee

Postby GreenTee » Wed Oct 15, 2014 2:05 pm

blue182king wrote:If someone can afford it, then it is not outrageous.

Wrong. Even if you can afford it, it's outrageous. Paying $11k to sit though a prep course is not guaranteed to improve your score. The only thing that's guaranteed to improve your score is to (see above) lace up your shoes and put in the legwork.

nlee10

Postby nlee10 » Wed Oct 15, 2014 2:19 pm

GreenTee wrote:
blue182king wrote:If someone can afford it, then it is not outrageous.

Wrong. Even if you can afford it, it's outrageous. Paying $11k to sit though a prep course is not guaranteed to improve your score. The only thing that's guaranteed to improve your score is to (see above) lace up your shoes and put in the legwork.

It's mind boggling that some prep study packages can reach $11k....

I could afford such an option but I think it IS outrageous for that price. I'm paying $1200 for a live BP class in addition to a few hundred bucks on Trainer, Manhattan LR, LG Bible, Cambridge Packets. That should be the max budget of anyone studying for this test.
Last edited by nlee10 on Wed Oct 15, 2014 2:20 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Louis1127

Postby Louis1127 » Wed Oct 15, 2014 2:19 pm

KDLMaj wrote:
shock259 wrote:The scores that come out of the program aren't all 160s and 170s, but you have to remember that a large portion of the people who attend at all are people who started off in the 120s and 130s

I know this is super old but this is the greatest thing I've ever read on TLS.

Return to “LSAT Prep and Discussion Forum”