Fallen Off of the LG Wagon

DaveBear07

Fallen Off of the LG Wagon

Postby DaveBear07 » Sat May 29, 2010 2:56 pm

Anyone else missing way too many on the newest PT's? ie. 55 (-2), 56 (-2), 57 (-6!!!!!!!)

Anyone have any advice on how to attack these new games? Or where to go for advice?

I'll definitely be drilling the new sections and visiting Steve's blog a lot this week I think. As well as reviewing my LGB. But this is really pissing me off bc for the longest time games were such a breeze for me.....

Any and all help is greatly appreciated... those dino's did in fact suck greatly.

jjlaw

Re: Fallen Off of the LG Wagon

Postby jjlaw » Sat May 29, 2010 4:05 pm

Definitely. I bombed the LG on PT58 yesterday, which really pissed me off. I just made four copies each of the LGs between PT50-58. I'm going to drill the sh*t out of them this week.

What is this new LG trend? I loved the LGs in the 40s.

DaveBear07

Postby DaveBear07 » Sat May 29, 2010 4:13 pm

jjlaw wrote:Definitely. I bombed the LG on PT58 yesterday, which really pissed me off. I just made four copies each of the LGs between PT50-58. I'm going to drill the sh*t out of them this week.

Agreed dude.

I like that idea of making multiple copies too.

jpSartre

Postby jpSartre » Sat May 29, 2010 5:56 pm

jjlaw wrote: I loved the LGs in the 40s.

No kidding. Although I was hitting 0-2 on 50-52, then took 3 weeks off for finals and came back -4 -6 -0 -3 -4. Not thrilled. They're definitely harder (I mean the 40s were easy) and I'm out of practice apparently...

Don't ask me why but I usually do the hardest game first. I've learned this is dumb as hell. Used to be my RC strategy too, but I'm going to just start doing them both in order.

hopscotch

Postby hopscotch » Sat May 29, 2010 10:57 pm

DaveBear07 wrote:
jjlaw wrote:Definitely. I bombed the LG on PT58 yesterday, which really pissed me off. I just made four copies each of the LGs between PT50-58. I'm going to drill the sh*t out of them this week.

Agreed dude.

I like that idea of making multiple copies too.

Cosign.

confusedlawyer

Postby confusedlawyer » Sat May 29, 2010 11:28 pm

There are a lot more in/out game matching hybrids. And even the ordering games have curve balls now they aren't straightforward. I have done up to 55, and haven't noticed to much of a difference in terms of score, even though difficulty was noticed. The hybrids really screw me up because I don't know exactly how to attack the game.

makingwaves

Postby makingwaves » Sun May 30, 2010 3:22 pm

confusedlawyer wrote:There are a lot more in/out game matching hybrids. And even the ordering games have curve balls now they aren't straightforward. I have done up to 55, and haven't noticed to much of a difference in terms of score, even though difficulty was noticed. The hybrids really screw me up because I don't know exactly how to attack the game.

I'm the same way, i've drilled alot of the games in the 50's and for me one of the biggest helps is to just trust my gut with the setup. When there's technically more and one way you could set the game up, I would get freaked out, set it up one way, get all my deductions done, then second guess myself and erase the whole thing and try to set it up the other way. If you don't have a gut instinct about which way is better, i'd say count how many rules have to do with each variable set and you can better assess the number of deductions you'll be able to make using one setup over the other.

knola002

Postby knola002 » Sun May 30, 2010 3:34 pm

I recommend drilling on the 30s. I know the 50s are tougher than the 40s, but nothing whipped my ass like the 30s.
Good luck :D

confusedlawyer

Postby confusedlawyer » Sun May 30, 2010 8:53 pm

knola002 wrote:I recommend drilling on the 30s. I know the 50s are tougher than the 40s, but nothing whipped my ass like the 30s.
Good luck :D

30's is tough, because the games are unpredictable and some don't follow a pattern (e.g. Zephyr Airline flights). The hybrid games is what makes 1 game so difficult not many can answer past the second question, simply due to the fact that is difficult to complete a diagram with so many stipulations (M can't go in slot 4 because this space has colour red and only G, F, E can be with red blah blah blah). My technique will be to leave it last and do as much as I can

granger

Postby granger » Sun May 30, 2010 9:00 pm

I had problems with the rule replacement question on the recent test and it slowed me down. Anyone else?

confusedlawyer

Postby confusedlawyer » Sun May 30, 2010 9:02 pm

granger wrote:I had problems with the rule replacement question on the recent test and it slowed me down. Anyone else?

Those are easy for me, but im not sure which PT you are referring to.

jjlaw

Postby jjlaw » Sun May 30, 2010 9:28 pm

confusedlawyer wrote:
granger wrote:I had problems with the rule replacement question on the recent test and it slowed me down. Anyone else?

That is definitely a new type of question, but once you understand what it's asking for, I think it's easy to pick out. When I first saw it, I definitely had to read the question stem a couple of times to understand it.

PT 57, LG1 and PT 58, LG4 both have these questions.

granger

Postby granger » Sun May 30, 2010 9:57 pm

First two times I encountered it was on the real thing. Came at the end of the last game both times, and stumped me to the point that I didn't finish. I otherwise had no problems with LG, so I was mainly posting as a heads up. Both times, I wasted time because I was certain that the full implication of the rule wasn't provided by any of the answers. Oh well!

jmc8y

Postby jmc8y » Sun May 30, 2010 11:53 pm

my favorites are the ones with somewhat time-consuming inferences but diagrammable inferences that make the rest of the questions easy.

my least favorites are one's with multiple patterns you have to keep in your head.

it seems like the recent ones (50s) have been better for me, for these reasons.

DaveBear07

Postby DaveBear07 » Mon May 31, 2010 4:35 pm

I feel like Rocky in Rocky III. Except I'm getting back to the basics of Logic Games and there is no Hulk Hogan or Mr. T. It's much more boring in that sense.

More constructively, at this point I am glad I made an investment months ago in the PowerScore LG Workbook to refresh my skills. Also, I just drilled section 52 and missed 1 after having missed 0 when taking it as a PT.... a sign that I still have work to do... AND I just went over the games section of 57, slowly and untimed, and it went well (still missed 1 tho). The dino's weren't bad once I realized what was actually going on.

Dr. Strangelove

Postby Dr. Strangelove » Mon May 31, 2010 4:40 pm

You should be aiming to make all the deductions you can before answering any of the questions (except for the basic ordering one..)
I've been hiding that's been helping the answers fall into place AND it saves time- because the first answer I try is the one I have an inkling could be the right one..

mz253

Postby mz253 » Mon May 31, 2010 4:42 pm

i hate LG with lengthy descriptions and element names. For example the dinosour game... they can just name those dinosours a, b, c, d, e, f, g instead of a bunch of non-sense names!

shoop

Postby shoop » Tue Jun 01, 2010 2:39 pm

mz253 wrote:i hate LG with lengthy descriptions and element names. For example the dinosour game... they can just name those dinosours a, b, c, d, e, f, g instead of a bunch of non-sense names!

They're not "nonsense," they're actual names of dinosaur species. Just use the first letter; it's not that hard. Surely you've noticed that LSAC is at least kind enough to choose letters/names such that a) the initials ABCDE (and names/words starting with these letters) are never used, and b) there are never games where the same letter could refer to different things (like having to put Jane, Kim, Leanna, Xerxes, Yin, and Zawanda into groups "Y" and "Z")?

jarofsoup

Postby jarofsoup » Tue Jun 01, 2010 2:47 pm

jjlaw wrote:
confusedlawyer wrote:

That is definitely a new type of question, but once you understand what it's asking for, I think it's easy to pick out. When I first saw it, I definitely had to read the question stem a couple of times to understand it.

PT 57, LG1 and PT 58, LG4 both have these questions.

The replacement rule question on 57 is super easy if you take a second look at it.

DaveBear07

Postby DaveBear07 » Tue Jun 01, 2010 5:46 pm

Update.

After taking two days to do some LG drilling and reviewing, I just went -0 on PT 58. That felt good. I think my -6 performance on 57 was a product of panic in the face of the dino hype and some legitimate diminishing of LG skill.

I'm not through drilling games though, that's for sure. Can't have 57 happen again!!

Remnantofisrael

Postby Remnantofisrael » Thu Jun 03, 2010 4:23 pm

I absolutely know what you are going through. I had so much trouble on the Dino game, I went on to the 4th game and something that SHOULD have been fairly easy was tough because Dino and 5 unanswered questions were in my head. I ended up leaving 6 questions unanswered, guessed right on one of them. 171 instead of my usual 176-179.

So I'll be doing lots of Logic games to supplement.

jjlaw

Postby jjlaw » Thu Jun 03, 2010 8:58 pm

DaveBear07 wrote:Update.

After taking two days to do some LG drilling and reviewing, I just went -0 on PT 58. That felt good. I think my -6 performance on 57 was a product of panic in the face of the dino hype and some legitimate diminishing of LG skill.

I'm not through drilling games though, that's for sure. Can't have 57 happen again!!

Congrats, DaveBear! I think LG drilling is certainly helpful. I've been browsing some of the Feb 2010 posts, and it seems like many people had a hard time with LG, so I think honing in on LG, esp the ones from PT 50s will likely pay off.

Does anyone know what game types appeared on the Feb 2010 test?

Return to “LSAT Prep and Discussion Forum”