PT 55, LR sect 3, #12, Diet Q

freddie

PT 55, LR sect 3, #12, Diet Q

Postby freddie » Fri May 28, 2010 2:44 pm

I am not in doubt that a) is the correct answer, but one word is not jiving for me. That water retention LARGELY compensates for any fat lost seems to weaken the answer. Does largely in this context mean 'mostly?' Am I correct in thinking that for this answer to be airtight instead of 'largely' we need 'entirely compensates?' Because if the water does not entirely compensate for the fat lost, then the high-carb diet would still be less effective...

Thanks!

confusedlawyer

Re: PT 55, LR sect 3, #12, Diet Q

Postby confusedlawyer » Fri May 28, 2010 2:54 pm

I would love to help you, and actualy remember the question you are talking about, but you gave the wrong info.

PT 55, LR sect 3, #12 is the question about Television and library circulation

freddie

Postby freddie » Fri May 28, 2010 2:58 pm

Sorry about that! The correct question number is LR sect 3, #22.

Thanks!

confusedlawyer

Postby confusedlawyer » Fri May 28, 2010 3:07 pm

While you are correct in that entirely would make A a much stronger answer, you have to remember that the question is asking which of the following, if true, MOST weakens the argument above.

The arguments conclusion states that a high P low C diet is the MOST effective way to lose BODY FAT. Answer A shows that in the comparison, both groups likely did not differ in body fat loss, they only differed in WEIGHT.

For example if my argument is I vomited today. I ate seafish. So I must have vomited because I ate seafish. Which one of the following if true most weakens the argument
A) Whenever shawn eats something that starts with S he vomits
B) Shawn ate seafish last month and vomited but ate it last week and didn't
C) When Shawn eats a food for the first time he vomits
D) Shawn drank 4 Liters of water prior to eating
E) Blah blah blah

D is the answer, although not the best option to weaken, it weakens the argument the most out of the choices given. Be careful and weary of this on the real test

freddie

Postby freddie » Fri May 28, 2010 3:22 pm

Thanks for your detailed reasoning. Focusing on finding the BEST answer will help me going forward.

Just for future reference: How should 'largely' be interpreted in the LSAT context? (mostly, more than somewhat?)

confusedlawyer

Postby confusedlawyer » Fri May 28, 2010 3:35 pm

largely is equivalent to mostly, so yes it is more than some. Largely is also close to "most but not all"

Return to “LSAT Prep and Discussion Forum”