What game is similar to PT 35 game 1? Forum

Prepare for the LSAT or discuss it with others in this forum.
theZeigs

Bronze

What game is similar to PT 35 game 1?

Post by theZeigs » Fri May 28, 2010 9:15 am

Hey all,

I just did PT 35 game 1 (experienced/inexperienced and radiobiologist/geologist astronauts grouping game) and I was wondering if there are any other games out there like this.

This game was interesting because I feel that if you set it up a certain way, it's a simple game, but if not, you might have major problems.

The setup I used was a grid where the x axis was the experienced/inexperienced and the y axis was the geologist/radiobiologist. Each variable (astronaut) occupied one quadrant of this grid. For the "astronauts selected for a space flight" I did the same thing, but this time each quadrant was divided in half, vertically, to note that 2 experienced astronauts and 2 inexperienced ones were needed for the flight.

Here is how I set it up:

My question is, are there any other games like this out there?
I think that this is an interesting game because of the multiple variables to keep track of; like I said, setting it up similar to how I did it makes the game easy, but if you were to do, e.g. subscripts, I think the game would be much more difficult.

TIA

tomwatts

Gold

Re: What game is similar to PT 35 game 1?

Post by tomwatts » Fri May 28, 2010 11:50 am

Nothing else is quite like this one, as far as I'm aware, no. In Princeton Review terminology, this is a 2D In/Out game, and that makes it like the jeweler's stones of PT 33 and that ilk, but that only has one additional consideration (ruby, etc), not two. Same could be said of the dinos of PT 57, except that has variable categories (you don't know which are which colors).

I draw them all the same way, but if you draw this the way you described, that won't work for any other game that I can think of.

theZeigs

Bronze

Post by theZeigs » Fri May 28, 2010 11:58 am

Thanks Tom,

I was hoping for someone like you, who basically knows all the tests, to respond.

I'm curious, how do you draw these games?

ZombiesAhead

New

Post by ZombiesAhead » Tue Jun 01, 2010 11:28 pm

This is called a profile charting game. Powerscore seems to think it deserves its own "game type" but I have never seen another like this.

tomwatts

Gold

Post by tomwatts » Wed Jun 02, 2010 2:04 am

theZeigs wrote:I'm curious, how do you draw these games?
Oops, didn't notice this until just now.

In column, Out column, slots for the number of things in each column (four slots in the In, four slots in the Out). Element above the slot, category below. That means that if I find that, for example, F is selected, I put F in an In slot and Eg directly underneath the slot. Same diagram (different number of slots) will work for jeweler's stones, dinos, etc.

I do list the elements (F, etc) in much the same way as you did, though.

That was a pretty brief description. Let me know if you want more detail.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Shrimps

Bronze

Post by Shrimps » Wed Jun 02, 2010 2:10 am

How do you even classify these games? They all look the same to me, the only things that throw me off are tons of hypotheticals. 35 LG1 seems very straightforward, I just did it out of curiousity and finished in a few minutes.

I had it "diagrammed" thusly:

4 out of:
ex: F* J K L
in: M* N P* T*
(* = g, otherwise r); 2 *, 2 ex
either P/L - must

Then I just made sure all of my answer choices had exactly two stars (actually, I had little umlaut-type thingies above the letters) and exactly two of FJKL.

Knock

Platinum

Post by Knock » Wed Jun 02, 2010 2:14 am

theZeigs wrote:Hey all,

I just did PT 35 game 1 (experienced/inexperienced and radiobiologist/geologist astronauts grouping game) and I was wondering if there are any other games out there like this.

This game was interesting because I feel that if you set it up a certain way, it's a simple game, but if not, you might have major problems.

The setup I used was a grid where the x axis was the experienced/inexperienced and the y axis was the geologist/radiobiologist. Each variable (astronaut) occupied one quadrant of this grid. For the "astronauts selected for a space flight" I did the same thing, but this time each quadrant was divided in half, vertically, to note that 2 experienced astronauts and 2 inexperienced ones were needed for the flight.

Here is how I set it up:

My question is, are there any other games like this out there?
I think that this is an interesting game because of the multiple variables to keep track of; like I said, setting it up similar to how I did it makes the game easy, but if you were to do, e.g. subscripts, I think the game would be much more difficult.

TIA
PT 11 Game 3 (Housing committee and chairperson) had some degree of similarity. Check it out, i'm not sure if it will meet your needs, but it's worth a look.

tomwatts

Gold

Post by tomwatts » Thu Jun 03, 2010 1:43 am

Knockglock wrote:PT 11 Game 3 (Housing committee and chairperson) had some degree of similarity. Check it out, i'm not sure if it will meet your needs, but it's worth a look.
I'm inclined to think that's more like jeweler's stones of PT 33 (only one set of categories to keep track of, in this case tenants and homeowners), even if it has the additional twist of the chairperson, than it is like this game, but that may be a consequence of fact that this one, too, I draw the same as the others.

theZeigs

Bronze

Post by theZeigs » Thu Jun 03, 2010 9:55 am

tomwatts wrote:
Oops, didn't notice this until just now.

In column, Out column, slots for the number of things in each column (four slots in the In, four slots in the Out). Element above the slot, category below. That means that if I find that, for example, F is selected, I put F in an In slot and Eg directly underneath the slot. Same diagram (different number of slots) will work for jeweler's stones, dinos, etc.

I do list the elements (F, etc) in much the same way as you did, though.

That was a pretty brief description. Let me know if you want more detail.
tomwatts wrote:
Knockglock wrote:PT 11 Game 3 (Housing committee and chairperson) had some degree of similarity. Check it out, i'm not sure if it will meet your needs, but it's worth a look.
I'm inclined to think that's more like jeweler's stones of PT 33 (only one set of categories to keep track of, in this case tenants and homeowners), even if it has the additional twist of the chairperson, than it is like this game, but that may be a consequence of fact that this one, too, I draw the same as the others.

Tom I can't quite figure out how your drawing works for both the game that is the topic of this thread, or for 11 game 3 or the Jewelers stones.

I'm thinking it might be a little bit late to change how I work logic games, i.e. 4 days before the exam ;) But out of curiosity...

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Return to “LSAT Prep and Discussion Forum”