Am I on the right track?! (help needed)

Helphelphelp

Am I on the right track?! (help needed)

Postby Helphelphelp » Fri May 28, 2010 5:17 am

Hi everyone. This is my first time posting. I'm currently a 2nd year attending UC San Diego and thought that now was a good time to get a jump start on studying for the LSAT. After a lot of browsing and discussion I decided to sign up for the Testmasters course which starts July 13th. I end school on June 11th. Should I use the month before my class to self study by going through the bibles? Should I take some practice tests? What should I do for that month?

Also, is studying for a while before taking a class recommended or is my situation ok? Sorry for the panic, after talking to some friends I just feel somewhat uneasy about my situation. Any advice would be really appreciated thanks.

Big Tuna

Re: Am I on the right track?! (help needed)

Postby Big Tuna » Fri May 28, 2010 8:22 am

Last edited by Big Tuna on Wed Jul 28, 2010 8:52 am, edited 1 time in total.

Helphelphelp

Postby Helphelphelp » Fri May 28, 2010 2:08 pm

Any other opinions out there?

aas911

Postby aas911 » Fri May 28, 2010 2:51 pm

I'm just finishing up a Testmasters course and taking the test on the 7th. They recommend that you don't study at all before the course. Throughout the course you cover every question (in class/on HW) that has ever been used on the "modern" LSAT. I highly recommend that you complete ALL of the homework even though it can feel overwhelming at times. Good choice with Testmasters. I'm really enjoying the experience and I feel very prepared for my test in the coming weeks.

wbentley_law

Postby wbentley_law » Fri May 28, 2010 3:13 pm

Dear help,

You are only just about to be a junior in college, relax. You still have 2 long years away from graduating. I would wait at least 6 months prior to taking the LSAT before you jump into an LSAT prep course. As far as prep courses go, Testmasters is a great choice. I unfortunately took Kaplan, which about midway through realized was the laughing stock of the prep courses offered. Currently I am using all testmasters materials, lucky for me, my roommate took a testmasters course through one of their local programs.

In the mean time, or for the next year and a half I would constantly train your mind for the LSAT in more unconventional ways (ie not studying the actual test or methods of taking the test specifically). I would read the WSJ front to cover weekly, pick up a subscription to the Economist (read FTC). These short dense articles will help you improve your reading comprehension and speed, which is necessary on the LSAT.

When the time comes and the last semester of college has arrived, I would then sign up for a prep class (testmasters is a good choice).

I am scheduled to take the LSAT this coming June, below is/was my plan of attack...

-Registered for a local Kaplan LSAT pre course 4 months prior. (i signed up for the extreme, which met 3 nights a week)
-loosed up my schedule (this was necessary for me since standardized test have always been a weakness of mine, I was diagnosed with ADD and dyslexia in 6th grade)

-First PT scored a 142 (hahaha yes, I laughed too)
-Attended Kaplan 3 nights a week
-For the first few weeks or so I studied (~3hrs/day) all the methods Kaplan was teaching me, until they became second nature... I did this by taking certain sections individually (not entire PT's) or individual problems, going over the ones I got wrong and understanding why.

After a month my skills had dramatically increased (~5-7 per LR, ~2-4 on games, however, ~10-12 on RC)

For the next 2 month I began the vigorous part of the training... learning to run the distance. When one trains for a marathon (which the lsat is), one can not run a few miles a day and expect to run the 42.195 km come D day.

About 2 months ago, I began taking FULL PTs daily as well as reviewing the ones I got wrong that same day. I even developed my own techniques for RC. After a few weeks of doing this I became a pro. Currently I am score ~0-2 on LG, ~2-5 per LR, and ~4-6 on RC. I went through all the PTs Kaplan gave me, which are older ones (I highly recommend starting off using the earlier prep test, for they are easier, allowing you to perfect the tricks you have recently acquired)... as time went on and I became an expert at time/distance/technique, I began using testmasters more recent PTs. Currently I am scoring between 163-170, haha depending on the difficulty of the RC section.

If you want to start now by all means GO FOR IT. However, you dont need that much time, I went from a 142 to a 170 (Dec 09) in 4 months. I hope this helps, if you have any questions to PM me and I will be happy to answer!

Return to “LSAT Prep and Discussion Forum”