not ready for June test, what can I do to be ready for Oct? Forum

Prepare for the LSAT or discuss it with others in this forum.
kristinadyl1

New

not ready for June test, what can I do to be ready for Oct?

Post by kristinadyl1 » Thu May 27, 2010 8:39 pm

I have decided I am not ready for the June 2010 test and have scheduled myself for the October LSAT. Meanwhile, I am taking 18 credit hours in college because I have to in order to get my scholorship. I have a baby due the begining of September (you may have read my other post). Dropping everything to study for this test is not an option for me. When I take the practice tests untimed I do well or at least good enough, 161-165. When I time the test I get more like a 142.....horrible! I do well with the logic reasoning, bad on the rest. I honestly think I may need classes but they are so expensive and I can't make payments or get any help. I would love to study on my own but that has gotten me nowhere so far. I seem to have everything against me. I have a 3.5 GPA as of right now and it is going up. I just need the best advice that is possible for me to follow. Was anyone in a situation like me who did well? What resources can help me in my situation? What did you do to get a good score. I don't expect a 180 because I just don't think it is possible for me. Maybe I can shoot for a 165. Any advice on a study plan would be appreciated. What classes are the best (even though I will probably never afford them)?

Dripworx

Bronze

Re: not ready for June test, what can I do to be ready for Oct?

Post by Dripworx » Thu May 27, 2010 8:53 pm

take a look at pithypikes outline, its a great help. whether you need to do a 15 point jump or a 30 point jump (like i do)... the key is drill drill drill drill... oh and dont forget to DRILL lol

Best of luck bud! :)

Gold

Post by 005618502 » Thu May 27, 2010 8:55 pm

Well of course you do better untimed..... you should be able to score perfect if you have as much time as you want. I took a smaller test prep company near my school that was much cheaper then Kaplan or PS. Maybe look around for something smaller and cheaper then the big testing companies. Other then that study the powerscore books and put in at least a couple hours each day. And ALWAYS take TIMED practice tests. Otherwise the score does not count. Now you can definitly get some books from LSAT and do sections at your own pace just for practice. But when putting in the time for a practice test make sure to time it.

Also it sounds like you may have to much going on right now.... especially with a child on the way....... have you though about graduating and maybe taking a year off between law school. The you could have a much greater amount to time to focus on studying.

Dr. Strangelove

Silver

Post by Dr. Strangelove » Thu May 27, 2010 9:11 pm

Review as much as you can.
Always try to figure out what you can do to get a better LSAT score.
You also have to approach this test with confidence.
You have to tell yourself that you can figure these questions out. It will give you more motivation to improve yourself.
Best of luck! You should be a-OK in October, 8)

bp colin

Bronze

Post by bp colin » Fri May 28, 2010 12:32 pm

If you are looking for a cheaper class, you might want to consider an online option. Ours at Blueprint is more affordable than almost any in-class option. While it still is a good chunk of change, over the course of the curriculum you do every released LSAT problem, so you don't have to buy anything else. So if you're thinking about a course you might want to start thinking about online options. Also, you have the added benefit of being able to do the lessons whenever you want. If you've got any questions about ours, PM me.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

jdhopeful11

Bronze

Post by jdhopeful11 » Fri May 28, 2010 7:45 pm

STOP TAKING THE TESTS UNTIMED! - You are reinforcing the same bad habits over and over again. Keep taking PTs but make sure they are all timed, and work on your weaknesses.

JasonR

Bronze

Post by JasonR » Sat May 29, 2010 2:57 pm

andyman wrote:STOP TAKING THE TESTS UNTIMED! - You are reinforcing the same bad habits over and over again. Keep taking PTs but make sure they are all timed, and work on your weaknesses.
This is bad advice. Taking PTs timed but with underdeveloped technique is just wasting PTs. Before doing any more PTs, you should review every prior test you've taken and spend time understanding why every correct answer is correct and why every wrong answer is wrong. Don't move on from a problem you previously missed until you can clearly articulate a solid reason for selecting and eliminating answer choices.

JasonR

Bronze

Post by JasonR » Sat May 29, 2010 3:28 pm

kristinadyl1 wrote:I have decided I am not ready for the June 2010 test and have scheduled myself for the October LSAT. Meanwhile, I am taking 18 credit hours in college because I have to in order to get my scholorship. I have a baby due the begining of September (you may have read my other post). Dropping everything to study for this test is not an option for me. When I take the practice tests untimed I do well or at least good enough, 161-165. When I time the test I get more like a 142.....horrible! I do well with the logic reasoning, bad on the rest. I honestly think I may need classes but they are so expensive and I can't make payments or get any help. I would love to study on my own but that has gotten me nowhere so far. I seem to have everything against me. I have a 3.5 GPA as of right now and it is going up. I just need the best advice that is possible for me to follow. Was anyone in a situation like me who did well? What resources can help me in my situation? What did you do to get a good score. I don't expect a 180 because I just don't think it is possible for me. Maybe I can shoot for a 165. Any advice on a study plan would be appreciated. What classes are the best (even though I will probably never afford them)?
Honestly, I think you are setting yourself up for failure and emotional trauma. 18 hours of class? Pregnant? Already have kids? And trying to prepare effectively for the LSAT? This is a prescription for a nervous breakdown. Also, are you aware of the effects of prolonged high stress on your unborn child? They aren't good.

I know you're 30, but waiting another year to apply isn't going to hurt you. Maybe you can study at a more reasonable pace over that time. Even just a 5-point gain over what you would get in October could mean a big difference in your school choices, scholarship money, and the value of your degree after graduation.

kristinadyl1

New

Post by kristinadyl1 » Sat May 29, 2010 7:24 pm

I think you are right. I am under more stress about money and my crappy job though than school. That's why I want to hurry. I am going to wait a year though and see what other options I have, maybe law school doesn't pay off as far as what people are telling me. I just want a decent career, I'm not that picky. lol

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

confusedlawyer

Bronze

Post by confusedlawyer » Sat May 29, 2010 7:47 pm

Dripworx wrote:take a look at pithypikes outline, its a great help. whether you need to do a 15 point jump or a 30 point jump (like i do)... the key is drill drill drill drill... oh and dont forget to DRILL lol

What do you mean by drill drill drill drill DRILL? I assume its take a practice test, take a practice test, take a practice test, take a practice test, and DRILL the girlfriend

HiLine

Bronze

Post by HiLine » Sun May 30, 2010 1:06 am

2 things for you to do:

1. Increase accuracy, which should be prioritized
2. Increase speed, to be done AFTER you reach or exceed your desired performance on each untimed section

Dripworx

Bronze

Post by Dripworx » Sun May 30, 2010 10:59 pm

confusedlawyer wrote:
Dripworx wrote:take a look at pithypikes outline, its a great help. whether you need to do a 15 point jump or a 30 point jump (like i do)... the key is drill drill drill drill... oh and dont forget to DRILL lol

What do you mean by drill drill drill drill DRILL? I assume its take a practice test, take a practice test, take a practice test, take a practice test, and DRILL the girlfriend
LOL someone got it!

What I meant was essentially repetition is key in almost any kind of increase for this test from what i've seen and heard. and of course drilling your girlfriend is suggested strongly

kristinadyl1

New

Post by kristinadyl1 » Mon May 31, 2010 5:31 pm

ummm... well I am a girl and not a lesbian so drilling my girlfriend is not an option lol!!! I will try my luck at practicing the test though! =)

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

Return to “LSAT Prep and Discussion Forum”