POLL: Difference in test day score from timed PTs

Difference in test day score from average timed pre-test day PTs

+6 or more
6%
+4 to 5
6%
+1 to 3
16%
+0 (Same Test Day Score as Average PT's)
16%
-1 to 3
13%
-4 to 6
35%
-7 to 9
6%
-10 to 15
No votes

Total votes: 31

angiej

POLL: Difference in test day score from timed PTs

Postby angiej » Thu May 27, 2010 6:55 pm

For those of you who have already taken the lsat, what was the difference in scaled score points (not raw) between your test day score and your average practice test scores? Use your average practice test scores a week or so before test day to compare to your "real" test day score.
Last edited by angiej on Thu May 27, 2010 7:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.

SAE

Re: POLL: Difference in test day score from timed PTs

Postby SAE » Thu May 27, 2010 6:57 pm

where's the +10 to 15 option?

angiej

Postby angiej » Thu May 27, 2010 6:59 pm

SAE wrote:where's the +10 to 15 option?

Is that even possible? I'd like to shake that person's hand!

SAE

Postby SAE » Thu May 27, 2010 7:02 pm

angiej wrote:

I was practicing in the 120's and managed to pull off a 140 on the real thing.

angiej

Postby angiej » Thu May 27, 2010 7:03 pm

SAE wrote:
angiej wrote:

I was practicing in the 120's and managed to pull off a 140 on the real thing.

Wow - but why would you even take the lsat if you were pting in the 120's?

Mickey Quicknumbers

Postby Mickey Quicknumbers » Thu May 27, 2010 7:04 pm

practice 170 --> 162 first time
practice 173 --> 168 second time

:(

angiej

Postby angiej » Thu May 27, 2010 7:05 pm

delBarco wrote:practice 170 --> 162 first time

So both times, after you took it did you feel like you may have scored lower? I'm pting at 158 consistently and I really need to at least hit 160. So I'm thinking about canceling, but I've always heard that on test day its most hard to gauge how it went because your so rattled from the stress, etc.

Mickey Quicknumbers

Postby Mickey Quicknumbers » Thu May 27, 2010 7:16 pm

angiej wrote:

So both times, after you took it did you feel like you may have scored lower? I'm pting at 158 consistently and I really need to at least hit 160. So I'm thinking about canceling, but I've always heard that on test day its most hard to gauge how it went because your so rattled from the stress, etc.

First time I missed all 6 questions on the Dinosaur logic games section. Which was traditionally my strongest area + nerves accounted for the 8 point drop. The second time I got a perfect score on logic games, but got a -8 on logical reasoning (combined) which was straight up the worst I had done since the I got comfortable with them. Such is life.

angiej

Postby angiej » Thu May 27, 2010 7:34 pm

delBarco wrote:
angiej wrote:

First time I missed all 6 questions on the Dinosaur logic games section. Which was traditionally my strongest area + nerves accounted for the 8 point drop. The second time I got a perfect score on logic games, but got a -8 on logical reasoning (combined) which was straight up the worst I had done since the I got comfortable with them. Such is life.

But walking out of the test center, did you realize you did not do as well as you had during practice?

honestabe84

Postby honestabe84 » Thu May 27, 2010 7:39 pm

angiej

Postby angiej » Thu May 27, 2010 7:51 pm

honestabe84 wrote:http://www.top-law-schools.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=6&t=101217

You ruin my fun. :x

Mickey Quicknumbers

Postby Mickey Quicknumbers » Thu May 27, 2010 7:52 pm

angiej wrote:
But walking out of the test center, did you realize you did not do as well as you had during practice?

I think you can usually tell how well you did, only you'll probably be more pessimistic. I could tell mine were going to be around the range that they were when I took it. Game day nerves make it difficult but with enough practice tests I was pretty able to get a feel that they were significantly below average performances.

cflames7

Postby cflames7 » Thu May 27, 2010 7:53 pm

LSAT 1: PT 168-174 | Actual 166
LSAT 2: PT 170-175 | Actual 162 (I was devastated)
LSAT 3: PT 173-178 | Actual 173

Always below or at the lower end of my practice test bands.

honestabe84

Postby honestabe84 » Thu May 27, 2010 7:54 pm

delBarco wrote:
angiej wrote:

I think you can usually tell how well you did, only you'll probably be more pessimistic. I could tell mine were going to be around the range that they were when I took it. Game day nerves make it difficult but with enough practice tests I was pretty able to get a feel that they were significantly below average performances.

You'll also get to agonize over whether or not you misbubbled. :)

angiej

Postby angiej » Thu May 27, 2010 8:00 pm

honestabe84 wrote:
delBarco wrote:
angiej wrote:

Great - can't wait! :roll:

A few months back blackberry had a screw up in their email service and no one was receiving emails to their bberries - if that happens on June 28th I'm suing! (that is if i can get into law school!)

jlnoa0915

Postby jlnoa0915 » Thu May 27, 2010 8:01 pm

I was averaging around a 170 on my PTs and got a 163 on test day; could have gone smoother :roll: but happy with my current situation.

Dr. Strangelove

Postby Dr. Strangelove » Thu May 27, 2010 8:15 pm

This is something that my mom has been warning me about. My older sister was averaging around 172-174 towards the week before the LSAT and she got a 170 on the actual thing, while a 170 is certainly an awesome score..I think she was expecting to do better.
What I've been doing to (hopefully) counter that is to take a PT but with no breaks! Just take the whole thing in one sitting..

honestabe84

Postby honestabe84 » Thu May 27, 2010 8:17 pm

Dr. Strangelove wrote:This is something that my mom has been warning me about.
What I've been doing to (hopefully) counter that is to take a PT but with no breaks! Just take the whole thing in one sitting..

For me it's all about getting into the "groove." If I'm in it, I can concentrate and nothing can stop me. The answer jump right off the test book.

Other times, I don't know. It's hard to explain, but I just can't get in the rhythm.

Mickey Quicknumbers

Postby Mickey Quicknumbers » Thu May 27, 2010 8:18 pm

Dr. Strangelove wrote:This is something that my mom has been warning me about. My older sister was averaging around 172-174 towards the week before the LSAT and she got a 170 on the actual thing, while a 170 is certainly an awesome score..I think she was expecting to do better.

the general rule of thumb is 3 points I think so your sister did about as expected. I took all my tests in one sitting and it didn't really help me at all :(

honestabe84

Postby honestabe84 » Thu May 27, 2010 8:20 pm

delBarco wrote:
Dr. Strangelove wrote:This is something that my mom has been warning me about. My older sister was averaging around 172-174 towards the week before the LSAT and she got a 170 on the actual thing, while a 170 is certainly an awesome score..I think she was expecting to do better.

the general rule of thumb is 3 points I think so your sister did about as expected. I took all my tests in one sitting and it didn't really help me at all :(

I would be completely fine with dropping only three points.

5ky

Postby 5ky » Thu May 27, 2010 8:21 pm

Last edited by 5ky on Wed Jun 29, 2011 9:50 pm, edited 1 time in total.

gdh

Postby gdh » Thu May 27, 2010 8:21 pm

angiej wrote:
honestabe84 wrote:
delBarco wrote:
angiej wrote:

Great - can't wait! :roll:

A few months back blackberry had a screw up in their email service and no one was receiving emails to their bberries - if that happens on June 28th I'm suing! (that is if i can get into law school!)

They send an email when the scores are up rather than making you log in constantly? If there is not a blackberry malfunction this time I hope I'm not in a meeting when the notice comes through... guaranteed loss of focus.

angiej

Postby angiej » Thu May 27, 2010 8:24 pm

I've also noticed during PT's that its all about my positive or negative mindset. If my first section goes rough, I keep chanting in my head "you suck." And guess what? I suck throughout the whole thing. On the other hand, if the first section goes well, I don't really encourage myself at all but just keep attacking each question with full confidence. So I'm confident, plus I'm not wasting valuable brain talk on non-lsat question related jargon.

hmmmm, I just realized I sound totaly schitzo.

angiej

Postby angiej » Thu May 27, 2010 8:30 pm

Actually, come to think of it - this lsat studying is making me totally nuts. I was day dreaming the other day about how I should pretend I'm deaf and borrow my friend's hearing aids in hopes they may clog up my ears just enough to help silence any distractions. Weird, huh?

Return to “LSAT Prep and Discussion Forum”