LSAT as a Freshman in College (due to prep time availability

UFmark
Posts: 44
Joined: Mon Apr 12, 2010 3:01 am

Re: LSAT as a Freshman in College (due to prep time availability

Postby UFmark » Thu May 27, 2010 4:43 pm

You should probably lose your virginity before you start worrying about the LSAT. Remember, if you don't use it, you lose it.

senslogine
Posts: 19
Joined: Wed May 05, 2010 9:58 am

Re: LSAT as a Freshman in College (due to prep time availability

Postby senslogine » Thu May 27, 2010 6:56 pm

Marionberry wrote:Seriouslym though, dude, I take it you're 18/19? I understand that you have a fire under your ass to do well in life and be successful, and that's great. That being said, you have a limited number of years left in your life where it's acceptable for you to act like an 18-21 year old. This is an ideal time to get a job waiting tables (or something similar), party, chase girls and expand your consciousness with any number of mind altering chemicals. You can do all these things and still achieve the same level of success you seek. This will actually be healthy and probably make you a more well rounded person that you would be otherwise.


I'm female, don't believe in drinking or drugs, hate parties (I've tried), already wait tables and prefer long-term serious relationships to flings. I'm an introvert. I value my body because it supports my brain, thanks.

senslogine
Posts: 19
Joined: Wed May 05, 2010 9:58 am

Re: LSAT as a Freshman in College (due to prep time availability

Postby senslogine » Thu May 27, 2010 6:57 pm

Paratiel wrote:
senslogine wrote:
Paratiel wrote:At the risk of branding myself as a gunner, I will tell you that I did something akin to this. I earned an Associate's degree while in high school and took the LSAT the Oct. that I started at the university. It worked out well (going to UVA in the fall), but I would caution you on a few things. First, my writing and reasoning skills developed a great deal during my first year at the university, and I could have used that greater understanding to boost my score a bit. Second, since I had two years of college already under my belt, I was not quite the typical "freshman." If your "high-level" classes are just AP, then wait. AP classes are bloated and don't really mirror college work that much, so do not assume intellectual readiness. However, if they are year or more of actual college courses, be it community college or university, you should be fine.

PM me if you want clarifications.


Thank you.

While I'm not as qualified as you, I have taken six actual university courses - Symbolic Logic, an intro philosophy course, 200 level English History, 300 level Tibetan history, Intro to Political Science and American Political Thought (200 level). I've taken six AP classes in addition, which I already know don't prepare you worth crap.



In that case, I would recommend waiting until you have at least taken a few high-level philosophy courses. I was a philosophy major as well and found the 300/400+ level courses in the department to be valuable for sharpening writing, argumentation and reasoning. You could still use this summer to prepare, if you like. However, if your diagnostic score is too low for your goals, take a few phil courses and maybe wait until your sophomore year or so. Judging by your current course load, you have probably only saved yourself a semester or two quarters (not counting AP, whose value will depend on your school), so you will easily be able to fit in an LSAT-prep summer during your three to four years of undergrad.



That makes sense, thanks.

senslogine
Posts: 19
Joined: Wed May 05, 2010 9:58 am

Re: LSAT as a Freshman in College (due to prep time availability

Postby senslogine » Thu May 27, 2010 7:01 pm

KibblesAndVick wrote:
Marionberry wrote:Seriouslym though, dude, I take it you're 18/19? I understand that you have a fire under your ass to do well in life and be successful, and that's great. That being said, you have a limited number of years left in your life where it's acceptable for you to act like an 18-21 year old. This is an ideal time to get a job waiting tables (or something similar), party, chase girls and expand your consciousness with any number of mind altering chemicals. You can do all these things and still achieve the same level of success you seek. This will actually be healthy and probably make you a more well rounded person that you would be otherwise.


Agreed. How much do you think Biglaw Partners would be willing to pay if they could relive one year between senior year of high school and the end of college? You don't get your youth back. Don't seriously injure yourself, don't get arrested, and don't get anyone pregnant. Other than that, just let the good times roll.


I realize I'm in the minority, but the 'wild youth' thing doesn't and has never appealed to me. I can have fun, and do regularly, but prefer it in the form of LAN parties and D&D, thanks.

User avatar
Dr. Strangelove
Posts: 557
Joined: Sun Mar 28, 2010 5:59 pm

Re: LSAT as a Freshman in College (due to prep time availability

Postby Dr. Strangelove » Thu May 27, 2010 9:38 pm

--ImageRemoved--

User avatar
Marionberry
Posts: 1302
Joined: Fri Apr 23, 2010 9:24 pm

Re: LSAT as a Freshman in College (due to prep time availability

Postby Marionberry » Thu May 27, 2010 9:41 pm

.
Last edited by Marionberry on Wed Apr 06, 2011 5:29 pm, edited 1 time in total.

User avatar
Dr. Strangelove
Posts: 557
Joined: Sun Mar 28, 2010 5:59 pm

Re: LSAT as a Freshman in College (due to prep time availability

Postby Dr. Strangelove » Thu May 27, 2010 9:43 pm

Marionberry wrote:
senslogine wrote: don't believe in drinking or drugs,


They're real. Trust me.


+1

User avatar
jmhendri
Posts: 589
Joined: Wed Nov 18, 2009 8:33 pm

Re: LSAT as a Freshman in College (due to prep time availability

Postby jmhendri » Thu May 27, 2010 9:44 pm

Marionberry wrote:
senslogine wrote: don't believe in drinking or drugs,


They're real. Trust me.

User avatar
Dr. Strangelove
Posts: 557
Joined: Sun Mar 28, 2010 5:59 pm

Re: LSAT as a Freshman in College (due to prep time availability

Postby Dr. Strangelove » Thu May 27, 2010 9:47 pm

senslogine wrote:
KibblesAndVick wrote:
Marionberry wrote:Seriouslym though, dude, I take it you're 18/19? I understand that you have a fire under your ass to do well in life and be successful, and that's great. That being said, you have a limited number of years left in your life where it's acceptable for you to act like an 18-21 year old. This is an ideal time to get a job waiting tables (or something similar), party, chase girls and expand your consciousness with any number of mind altering chemicals. You can do all these things and still achieve the same level of success you seek. This will actually be healthy and probably make you a more well rounded person that you would be otherwise.


Agreed. How much do you think Biglaw Partners would be willing to pay if they could relive one year between senior year of high school and the end of college? You don't get your youth back. Don't seriously injure yourself, don't get arrested, and don't get anyone pregnant. Other than that, just let the good times roll.


I realize I'm in the minority, but the 'wild youth' thing doesn't and has never appealed to me. I can have fun, and do regularly, but prefer it in the form of LAN parties and D&D, thanks.


That's cool- do what you think is fun. I dated a girl like you once- I don't think I could handle your lifestyle.. haha!
If I was anything like you, my grades would probably have been a lot higher though... :roll:

User avatar
Marionberry
Posts: 1302
Joined: Fri Apr 23, 2010 9:24 pm

Re: LSAT as a Freshman in College (due to prep time availability

Postby Marionberry » Thu May 27, 2010 9:54 pm

.
Last edited by Marionberry on Wed Apr 06, 2011 5:29 pm, edited 1 time in total.

senslogine
Posts: 19
Joined: Wed May 05, 2010 9:58 am

Re: LSAT as a Freshman in College (due to prep time availability

Postby senslogine » Thu May 27, 2010 10:10 pm

Marionberry wrote:I'll gladly take my 3.0GPA any day over a 3.9 and a serious deficiency of life experience.

Also, with regard to the "I value my body because it supports my brain" idea...I think you grossly underestimate just how resilient the human body is, especially at your age. Conventional wisdom would tell you that I should be a vegetable as a result of ages 18-22, or at the very least cognitively impaired, but that couldn't be farther from the truth.


I don't think being drunk and throwing up and/or not being in control of myself is a worthwhile life experience.

xyzzzzzzzz
Posts: 463
Joined: Wed Jan 06, 2010 6:28 pm

Re: LSAT as a Freshman in College (due to prep time availability

Postby xyzzzzzzzz » Thu May 27, 2010 10:11 pm

.
Last edited by xyzzzzzzzz on Thu Jul 08, 2010 11:31 pm, edited 1 time in total.

User avatar
Marionberry
Posts: 1302
Joined: Fri Apr 23, 2010 9:24 pm

Re: LSAT as a Freshman in College (due to prep time availability

Postby Marionberry » Thu May 27, 2010 10:24 pm

.
Last edited by Marionberry on Wed Apr 06, 2011 5:28 pm, edited 1 time in total.

xyzzzzzzzz
Posts: 463
Joined: Wed Jan 06, 2010 6:28 pm

Re: LSAT as a Freshman in College (due to prep time availability

Postby xyzzzzzzzz » Thu May 27, 2010 10:30 pm

.
Last edited by xyzzzzzzzz on Thu Jul 08, 2010 11:31 pm, edited 1 time in total.

User avatar
prezidentv8
Posts: 2821
Joined: Mon Dec 29, 2008 5:33 am

Re: LSAT as a Freshman in College (due to prep time availability

Postby prezidentv8 » Thu May 27, 2010 10:31 pm

senslogine wrote:
I realize I'm in the minority, but the 'wild youth' thing doesn't and has never appealed to me. I can have fun, and do regularly, but prefer it in the form of LAN parties and D&D, thanks.


I like to think of myself as having a bit of an old soul. In other words, not a wild youth type either. But I'll tell you, I miss working out a lot like I used to, I miss rowing, I miss regularly playing video games, I barely play golf anymore, and, oddly enough, I miss working crappy service jobs. It's not that I don't have fun - I do - but life is different now.

I'm not saying this is you. And it's not impossible to do fun things while in law school. But saying you should enjoy your youth does not necessarily mean that you need to be sloshed every night. It means to go try stuff you're interested in, to work real jobs (waiter, construction, retail, whatever), to meet new people (including people you won't like), to take classes for random reasons, and to, you know, have some fun.

I think the main point is that you need to slow down and enjoy life a bit. People, especially professional student types, can get so career-focused that they forget about what is actually important. And the LSAT and GRE aren't going anywhere. So chill out, enjoy the things you like to do, pick up a prep book if you want - but make sure you enjoy your life.

09042014
Posts: 18282
Joined: Wed Oct 14, 2009 10:47 pm

Re: LSAT as a Freshman in College (due to prep time availability

Postby 09042014 » Fri May 28, 2010 11:57 am

Marionberry wrote:I'll gladly take my 3.0GPA any day over a 3.9 and a serious deficiency of life experience.

Also, with regard to the "I value my body because it supports my brain" idea...I think you grossly underestimate just how resilient the human body is, especially at your age. Conventional wisdom would tell you that I should be a vegetable as a result of ages 18-22, or at the very least cognitively impaired, but that couldn't be farther from the truth.


The truth is, even in extremely challenging coursework like engineering or physics, you can still have a great time, and get good grades.

User avatar
hellojd
Posts: 411
Joined: Wed Jan 13, 2010 1:29 pm

Re: LSAT as a Freshman in College (due to prep time availability

Postby hellojd » Fri May 28, 2010 12:18 pm

Hmm... IMHO OP, and not to sound preachish here, but you need to go to college with a MUCH more open mentality. Not saying that you need to drink or party or whatever (though I'll be damned if those didn't constitute some of the best nights in college), but as an 18 yr old you need to acknowledge that you haven't developed personally enough to condemn that kind of stuff. In fact, I never drank any alcohol until college (or smoke or anything else), but I feel like if you are an open-minded individual you'll at least give it a try. I went out a lot during college, and let me tell you - you will NEVER regret the things you did during college. You will regret the things you never did.

Anyways, to get back on topic, don't do your LSAT now. Focus on getting a 4.0, and like others mentioned, you get smarter during college - no way I could be getting the score I'm shooting for as a freshman. With a high GPA, that will take a lot of the pressure off your future LSAT score.

User avatar
Dinho
Posts: 75
Joined: Sat Mar 28, 2009 10:59 pm

Re: LSAT as a Freshman in College (due to prep time availability

Postby Dinho » Fri May 28, 2010 12:36 pm

Marionberry wrote:I'll gladly take my 3.0GPA any day over a 3.9 and a serious deficiency of life experience.

Also, with regard to the "I value my body because it supports my brain" idea...I think you grossly underestimate just how resilient the human body is, especially at your age. Conventional wisdom would tell you that I should be a vegetable as a result of ages 18-22, or at the very least cognitively impaired, but that couldn't be farther from the truth.


Marionberry:

Seriously stop projecting. So you and this poster have different interests and ideas of what is fun/how to enjoy life. Let it go.

OP:

I'm fall into the category that thinks that a few years of college work is only going to increase your reading and reasoning skills. Wait a few years, there really is no rush. Plus you don't want your score to expire if you decide in the future that you want take a couple years off between college and law school.

User avatar
Dr. Strangelove
Posts: 557
Joined: Sun Mar 28, 2010 5:59 pm

Re: LSAT as a Freshman in College (due to prep time availability

Postby Dr. Strangelove » Fri May 28, 2010 1:21 pm

Much of it is a balance between playing hard and working hard.
Unfortunately, more than once.. I've been playing really hard and not working hard enough.
Some of my most fun and memorable semesters in college have been the ones where my grades were the worst. 8)

senslogine
Posts: 19
Joined: Wed May 05, 2010 9:58 am

Re: LSAT as a Freshman in College (due to prep time availability

Postby senslogine » Fri May 28, 2010 1:50 pm

hellojd wrote:Hmm... IMHO OP, and not to sound preachish here, but you need to go to college with a MUCH more open mentality. Not saying that you need to drink or party or whatever (though I'll be damned if those didn't constitute some of the best nights in college), but as an 18 yr old you need to acknowledge that you haven't developed personally enough to condemn that kind of stuff. In fact, I never drank any alcohol until college (or smoke or anything else), but I feel like if you are an open-minded individual you'll at least give it a try. I went out a lot during college, and let me tell you - you will NEVER regret the things you did during college. You will regret the things you never did.

Anyways, to get back on topic, don't do your LSAT now. Focus on getting a 4.0, and like others mentioned, you get smarter during college - no way I could be getting the score I'm shooting for as a freshman. With a high GPA, that will take a lot of the pressure off your future LSAT score.


Thank you for your advice, but I think it is absurd to be open-minded about things that have proven damaging effects on your body. Why try something that doing more of will only harm you? I think drinking is a personal choice- people who want to do it should be able to do it. However, I have had firm convictions about drinking and drugs my entire life. It's not a lack of knowledge of drinking- it's my own belief that drinking and drugs will NEVER be beneficial to me personally. The proven negatives for me far outweigh the potential 'enjoyment' of such substances. For others, I realize, it is different.
Last edited by senslogine on Fri May 28, 2010 1:54 pm, edited 1 time in total.

senslogine
Posts: 19
Joined: Wed May 05, 2010 9:58 am

Re: LSAT as a Freshman in College (due to prep time availability

Postby senslogine » Fri May 28, 2010 1:51 pm

Dinho wrote:
Marionberry wrote:I'll gladly take my 3.0GPA any day over a 3.9 and a serious deficiency of life experience.

Also, with regard to the "I value my body because it supports my brain" idea...I think you grossly underestimate just how resilient the human body is, especially at your age. Conventional wisdom would tell you that I should be a vegetable as a result of ages 18-22, or at the very least cognitively impaired, but that couldn't be farther from the truth.


Marionberry:

Seriously stop projecting. So you and this poster have different interests and ideas of what is fun/how to enjoy life. Let it go.

OP:

I'm fall into the category that thinks that a few years of college work is only going to increase your reading and reasoning skills. Wait a few years, there really is no rush. Plus you don't want your score to expire if you decide in the future that you want take a couple years off between college and law school.


Thank you for your advice.

User avatar
Dr. Strangelove
Posts: 557
Joined: Sun Mar 28, 2010 5:59 pm

Re: LSAT as a Freshman in College (due to prep time availability

Postby Dr. Strangelove » Fri May 28, 2010 1:53 pm

senslogine wrote:
hellojd wrote:Hmm... IMHO OP, and not to sound preachish here, but you need to go to college with a MUCH more open mentality. Not saying that you need to drink or party or whatever (though I'll be damned if those didn't constitute some of the best nights in college), but as an 18 yr old you need to acknowledge that you haven't developed personally enough to condemn that kind of stuff. In fact, I never drank any alcohol until college (or smoke or anything else), but I feel like if you are an open-minded individual you'll at least give it a try. I went out a lot during college, and let me tell you - you will NEVER regret the things you did during college. You will regret the things you never did.

Anyways, to get back on topic, don't do your LSAT now. Focus on getting a 4.0, and like others mentioned, you get smarter during college - no way I could be getting the score I'm shooting for as a freshman. With a high GPA, that will take a lot of the pressure off your future LSAT score.


Thank you for your advice, but I think it is absurd to be open-minded about things that have proven damaging effects on your body. Why try something that doing more of will only harm you?


If you only see harm in doing an activity, then don't do it.
I can answer your question saying that it will be ridiculous to do something that will only harm you.
However, I don't see getting drunk as only harming me- it has its benefits. It's fun.
I drink a lot but I also work out and try to eat healthy- so I'm still in pretty good health as a result.
That's why I enjoy the activity and that's why many many college students enjoy it too.

WhoIsJohnGalt
Posts: 14
Joined: Sun Mar 15, 2009 4:01 pm

Re: LSAT as a Freshman in College (due to prep time availability

Postby WhoIsJohnGalt » Fri May 28, 2010 2:03 pm

senslogine wrote:
Dinho wrote:
Marionberry wrote:I'll gladly take my 3.0GPA any day over a 3.9 and a serious deficiency of life experience.

Also, with regard to the "I value my body because it supports my brain" idea...I think you grossly underestimate just how resilient the human body is, especially at your age. Conventional wisdom would tell you that I should be a vegetable as a result of ages 18-22, or at the very least cognitively impaired, but that couldn't be farther from the truth.


Marionberry:

Seriously stop projecting. So you and this poster have different interests and ideas of what is fun/how to enjoy life. Let it go.

OP:

I'm fall into the category that thinks that a few years of college work is only going to increase your reading and reasoning skills. Wait a few years, there really is no rush. Plus you don't want your score to expire if you decide in the future that you want take a couple years off between college and law school.


Thank you for your advice.


Kaplan offers free proctored exams. Just take one of those to get a feel for it and see where you stand.

User avatar
lebob
Posts: 79
Joined: Thu Jan 28, 2010 5:25 pm

Re: LSAT as a Freshman in College (due to prep time availability

Postby lebob » Fri May 28, 2010 2:30 pm

senslogine wrote:
hellojd wrote:Hmm... IMHO OP, and not to sound preachish here, but you need to go to college with a MUCH more open mentality. Not saying that you need to drink or party or whatever (though I'll be damned if those didn't constitute some of the best nights in college), but as an 18 yr old you need to acknowledge that you haven't developed personally enough to condemn that kind of stuff. In fact, I never drank any alcohol until college (or smoke or anything else), but I feel like if you are an open-minded individual you'll at least give it a try. I went out a lot during college, and let me tell you - you will NEVER regret the things you did during college. You will regret the things you never did.

Anyways, to get back on topic, don't do your LSAT now. Focus on getting a 4.0, and like others mentioned, you get smarter during college - no way I could be getting the score I'm shooting for as a freshman. With a high GPA, that will take a lot of the pressure off your future LSAT score.


Thank you for your advice, but I think it is absurd to be open-minded about things that have proven damaging effects on your body. Why try something that doing more of will only harm you? I think drinking is a personal choice- people who want to do it should be able to do it. However, I have had firm convictions about drinking and drugs my entire life. It's not a lack of knowledge of drinking- it's my own belief that drinking and drugs will NEVER be beneficial to me personally. The proven negatives for me far outweigh the potential 'enjoyment' of such substances. For others, I realize, it is different.




i agree with you senslogine, but we're in the extreme minority in college so expect to be bashed for it, especially on these boards, heh. i didnt drink in college, and got tired of parties very, very quickly.

to answer your question, i do feel like you should take your lsat after a few years of college. those few years don't appear to make that much of a difference, but they do. i think you'll be at a better position to approach the lsat after at least 2 years. also, the lsat is pretty stressful. maybe spend your first year figuring out what you want to major in, playing with roommates, exploring restaurants around your school, etc etc etc. the lsat will always be waiting for you, after you've gotten more settled down.

itseightfortyfive
Posts: 75
Joined: Tue May 25, 2010 1:20 am

Re: LSAT as a Freshman in College (due to prep time availability

Postby itseightfortyfive » Sat May 29, 2010 1:55 pm

senslogine wrote:
Desert Fox wrote:
senslogine wrote:
rayiner wrote:Take it now so you realize you can't get more than 153 and avoid getting a useless prelawish degree.


I'll be a double major in Philosophy and Religious Studies. Pre-Law is lame.


These are exactly the sort of degree's Ray was talking about. Not much demand for them.


Ah, my mistake. I have seen a lot of criticism of the actual 'Pre-Law' major, which I was putting down. I already know there is little demand for my degrees.



LOOK BUDDY, my original major was philosophy and then I switched to polisci. DONT DO IT!!! Because four years and $200,000 later when you find out you cant get a job even though you had a 3.9 you going to be pissed.




Return to “LSAT Prep and Discussion Forum”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: CHyde, jonny27, PrezRand, Yahoo [Bot] and 11 guests