Would you go this far for a 180? Forum

Prepare for the LSAT or discuss it with others in this forum.
Knock

Platinum

Would you go this far for a 180?

Post by Knock » Wed May 26, 2010 1:09 am

Pretty funny story, I got this from the LSAT blog.
The Law School Admission Council, the official administrator of the Law School Admission Test, or LSAT, became intimately aware of the threat in 1997, when a University of Southern California test taker ran out of the exam room with his test book. A proctor chased him, but couldn't stop him from hopping into a getaway car.

Hours later, the thief sent the LSAT answers to two test takers at the University of Hawaii at Manoa -- where the test was just commencing -- via electronic pager. The proctor became suspicious when she noticed the test takers frequently looking at their pagers. She let them finish their exams, then contacted the LSAC, which turned the case over to the Los Angeles Police Department.

All three students were prosecuted in California Superior Court on charges of conspiracy to commit robbery. They were sentenced to a year in jail each and forced to pay $97,000 in restitution to the LSAC.

The LSAC retains experts in electronic surveillance equipment from Securitas Security Services USA Inc. to provide staff to administer tests, carry out security investigations and alert testing companies of the latest cheating gadgetry and trends.

But, for now, it doesn't use electronic detection devices. Jim Vaseleck, executive assistant to the president of the LSAC, notes that astute proctors, not gadgets, foiled the USC plot.

"We instruct test takers and train proctors that folks are not allowed to bring electronic devices into testing centers," he says.

Plus, he believes that low-tech cheating schemes, which can be combated only with astute proctors, remain a bigger problem. He notes incidents where test takers carved exam answers into No. 2 pencils, selling them on the black market for close to $1,000, or lined up different-colored M&Ms on a desk to correspond to answers of multiple- choice questions. "Electronic devices present more of a nuisance than a security problem," Mr. Vaseleck says.

MrKappus

Gold

Re: Would you go this far for a 180?

Post by MrKappus » Wed May 26, 2010 1:23 am

I'm trying to figure out how somebody would explain the meticulously arranged four rows of ~25 M&Ms.

Knock

Platinum

Post by Knock » Wed May 26, 2010 1:25 am

MrKappus wrote:I'm trying to figure out how somebody would explain the meticulously arranged four rows of ~25 M&Ms.
Probably just did it on a question by question basis. IE: each color represents a different letter; one person moves that color m&m to a pre-determined location on the desk, and if his friend/co-conspirator was lucky enough to be in the proximity, he/she can just bubble or circle answers in their test booklet as they go along.

MrKappus

Gold

Post by MrKappus » Wed May 26, 2010 1:27 am

Hahaha that makes...a lot more sense. Clearly I'm not an outside-the-box thinker.

kalvano

Diamond

Post by kalvano » Wed May 26, 2010 1:27 am

Knockglock, I would do the girl in your avatar for a 180. It would be difficult, and a huge sacrifice, but I think I could muster the courage.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

DC_Sportsfan21

New

Post by DC_Sportsfan21 » Wed May 26, 2010 1:29 am

no, chance I would do something like that too risky

Knock

Platinum

Post by Knock » Wed May 26, 2010 1:30 am

kalvano wrote:Knockglock, I would do the girl in your avatar for a 180. It would be difficult, and a huge sacrifice, but I think I could muster the courage.
Pfft. Me first, get to the back of the line! :mrgreen:

Knock

Platinum

Post by Knock » Wed May 26, 2010 1:31 am

MrKappus wrote:Hahaha that makes...a lot more sense. Clearly I'm not an outside-the-box thinker.
It's okay. I came up with similar and other brilliant schemes in high school lol.

quickquestionthanks

Silver

Post by quickquestionthanks » Wed May 26, 2010 1:36 am

I'm just shocked they had such a shitty plan.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

A'nold

Gold

Post by A'nold » Wed May 26, 2010 1:52 am

The pager thing was dumb. Way too obvious.

jjlaw

Bronze

Post by jjlaw » Wed May 26, 2010 2:18 am

It would be cheaper just to study the old-fashioned way.

AngryAvocado

Silver

Post by AngryAvocado » Wed May 26, 2010 2:30 am

A'nold wrote:The pager thing was dumb. Way too obvious.
Ya, but it probably wasn't as obvious as it sounds. You could assign A-F to 1-5 then send ~11 or so answers at a time as your return number. Would only need to look 2-3 times a section, which could be pulled off. I love how they were in Hawaii, though...I hope they flew there just for that.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

Return to “LSAT Prep and Discussion Forum”