Re-take Advice

granger

Re-take Advice

Postby granger » Tue May 25, 2010 7:38 pm

Ugh. OK, maybe I just need someone to knock some sense into me.

Basically, I sat for December and Feb and got 168, 171.

Studied with Kaplan (yikes), took I'm guessing in the range of 9-12 PTs, including diagnostic + three with Kaplan.

So, with 168, 171/3.63, I'm considering a retake. 171 is definitely on the low end of my last five PTs, and I think I slacked in the PT department anyway. I see browsing the forums that a lot of you guys take 20+ PTs and continually recommend PTs as a great way to improve. I know that as I went on, I improved a lot in RC, which was my weakest section. I also know that I had no trouble with LG on my PTs, but left 3 unanswered on both December and February.

Part of me is convinced that if only I sat myself down and took 30 PTs, I'd be able to improve 4+ points. The other part says I've sat for the LSAT twice, gotten a score I'm happy with, and shouldn't sit around thinking what if...?

Hopefully I've given enough of an areal shot for you guys to give me some solid feedback. For what it's worth, my softs are garbage, and I live 45 mins from NYC, where my girlfriend goes to school, so I'd like to have a chance at Columbia or NYU.

Thanks for any help.

ENGINEERD

Re: Re-take Advice

Postby ENGINEERD » Tue May 25, 2010 7:52 pm

I say retake it october (I am assuming you haven't applied yet). You don't want to always wonder "what if". In addition it sounds like with more prep you can increase by a few points which will give you a shot at NYU and maybe Columbia. As long as your PT scores are >> 171 I don't think you have too much to lose.

bk1

Re: Re-take Advice

Postby bk1 » Tue May 25, 2010 8:17 pm

I would say study for the October test no matter what. If you are PT'ing well and feel like you can make a significant jump then take the test. If your studies aren't going well and your PT's aren't really getting consistently better than 171 then don't take it.

It would suck to spend all that time studying and not take it, but at least it gives you the best of both options and you gave yourself the chance to do better on the LSAT.

Return to “LSAT Prep and Discussion Forum”