NYC prep course suggestions? 161 diag after 10 hrs ind study

sgtgrumbles

NYC prep course suggestions? 161 diag after 10 hrs ind study

Postby sgtgrumbles » Tue May 25, 2010 4:03 pm

After doing some very light studying on my own (10 hours of studying a recycled 2007 Kaplan book and one at-home practice exam, on which I scored 162) I scored a 161 on a diagnostic I took at a Kaplan center. I'm taking the October LSAT and won't be able to hunker down until I get back from vacation on June 6th. I'm not great at self-motivating, so I think I need a prep course. I also work 40 hours a week and spend a decent amount of time with my girlfriend and friends, so I can't spend 40 hours a week studying or anything. I graduated from NYU with a 3.63 and am shooting for top 10 schools. My goal is 172+.

Any suggestions for prep courses?

I considered various Kaplan courses but I see they're getting a bad rap among TSLers. I was thinking about Kaplan Advance, since I scored high enough to place into it. One of my concerns with the course, though, is that I still haven't learned the fundamentals of the LSAT. I'm not one of those people who tackled all the Bibles on my own and THEN took a diagnostic; I took the diagnostic pretty cold. I worry that Kaplan Advance may dive right into the most difficult questions, when I still don't know the best ways to map all the logic games.

Power Score seems to be getting good reviews on TLS; anybody with similar circumstances have experience with PS?

Also, is there any comprehensive prep course review thread on TLS? I didn't see anything in the Stickies or FAQ.

Thanks in advance.

JWicker10

Re: NYC prep course suggestions? 161 diag after 10 hrs ind study

Postby JWicker10 » Tue May 25, 2010 7:15 pm

Take TestMasters.

bp colin

Postby bp colin » Tue May 25, 2010 9:32 pm

I teach for Blueprint in NYC, you might want to consider us. Our classes are really comprehensive (longer than all the others), so it is a ton of work. I'm actually doing a small LSAT seminar tomorrow if you're interested, where you can learn more about the classes, and if you come, you're eligible for a discount if you do decide to sign up at some point. Info about the seminar: --LinkRemoved--

PM me if you've got any questions about Blueprint.

UFmark

Postby UFmark » Wed May 26, 2010 3:35 pm

Get the bibles, work through them, take as many PT's as you can and thoroughly review your mistakes. There is absolutely no need for a prep course. With a 161 cold(same as me) you have the apparent innate abilities to score in the 170's. Once you have properly familiarized yourself with the LSAT and eliminated some of your basic flaws, a 172+ will be readily attainable.

sgtgrumbles

Postby sgtgrumbles » Thu May 27, 2010 1:10 pm

UFmark wrote:Get the bibles, work through them, take as many PT's as you can and thoroughly review your mistakes. There is absolutely no need for a prep course. With a 161 cold(same as me) you have the apparent innate abilities to score in the 170's. Once you have properly familiarized yourself with the LSAT and eliminated some of your basic flaws, a 172+ will be readily attainable.

Thanks for the advice. Do other users agree with this? As I mentioned, I'm not too great at self-motivating and I think enrolling in a course might help with this. Alternately, I could try the Pithypike self-study method, but I feel like having the concepts explained to me might be a great benefit. Is there anything I can do on my one week vacation to give me a sense of what will work best for me, like buying the LG Bible and working through it while I'm away? I'd like to decide in the next two weeks whether I want to enroll in a prep course or do self-study. I'm not sweating the ~$1,300 for a prep course if it's going to guarantee me my top schools or significant financial aid money, so I only want to forgo the course if users think it's absolutely unnecessary.

UFmark

Postby UFmark » Thu May 27, 2010 5:12 pm

sgtgrumbles wrote:
UFmark wrote:Get the bibles, work through them, take as many PT's as you can and thoroughly review your mistakes. There is absolutely no need for a prep course. With a 161 cold(same as me) you have the apparent innate abilities to score in the 170's. Once you have properly familiarized yourself with the LSAT and eliminated some of your basic flaws, a 172+ will be readily attainable.

Thanks for the advice. Do other users agree with this? As I mentioned, I'm not too great at self-motivating and I think enrolling in a course might help with this. Alternately, I could try the Pithypike self-study method, but I feel like having the concepts explained to me might be a great benefit. Is there anything I can do on my one week vacation to give me a sense of what will work best for me, like buying the LG Bible and working through it while I'm away? I'd like to decide in the next two weeks whether I want to enroll in a prep course or do self-study. I'm not sweating the ~$1,300 for a prep course if it's going to guarantee me my top schools or significant financial aid money, so I only want to forgo the course if users think it's absolutely unnecessary.

Id say 95% of users would agree with me, and of those 95%, the majority are 170+ scorers.

If you are looking for a guaranteed admittance to a top school, a prep course is NOT going to do this for you. Achieving a 172+ comes from dedication and hard work (when coming from a 161). If you are not motivated enough to study on your own and take the time to learn from your mistakes by drilling and practicing for countless hours, it is unlikely that you will make the improvement you desire.

Buy the LGB and work through it over your one week break. If after working through the LGB you do not feel significantly more confident with your abilities on logic games, then maybe a prep class is for you. However, I am confident that the former will result.

Return to “LSAT Prep and Discussion Forum”