In total panic! LSAT in June and I'm not ready! please help!

kristinadyl1

In total panic! LSAT in June and I'm not ready! please help!

Postby kristinadyl1 » Tue May 25, 2010 2:38 pm

ok. I have very little time to study. I have two kids and I am 6 months pregnant. I work part time and go to school full time. Not to mention I am in the middle of a divorce. I am stretched pretty thin. I have studied the LSAT test as much as I can possibly get to it but it obviously isn't enough. I took my first actual practice test last week and got a 161 but I did not time myself. I took another one today and did time the sections and got a very pathetic 142. Keep in mind I have a two year old here with me so it's hard to focus. I am scheduled to take the LSAT June 7. I am taking the week before the test off of work to have time to study but I still have homework and kids! I cannot afford any classes. I have noticed I am good at the logical games just WAY slower at them. My worst by far is the reading comprehension. I am not a dumb person but this test is rediculous!! I excede at school and everything I put my mind to, why do I feel so stupid and worthless when it comes to this test? Can I improve to a 170 in 13 days? I need some serious advice. I am applying to law schools this Fall. Should I wait for the October test? Keep in mind my baby is due Sept 7. I really need some advice PLEASE!! I know I can do good, I don't want to ruin my chances. Please no comments on my personal life, I only wanted to show how busy I am. I'm pretty fragile right now. :cry:

Dustin.

Re: In total panic! LSAT in June and I'm not ready! please help!

Postby Dustin. » Tue May 25, 2010 2:46 pm

It is unreasonable to expect that large of an increase in such a short amount of time.

Maybe you should take the LSAT when you have less on your plate.

stowhat

Postby stowhat » Tue May 25, 2010 2:52 pm

How do you plan to study?

I was able to improve my score 10 points in two weeks after completing the LR and LG Bibles, but I was able to study 4+ hours a day during that time.

A 28 point score increase is pretty large for two weeks. Maybe you should consider taking the LSAT when you have more time to study.

Marionberry

Postby Marionberry » Tue May 25, 2010 2:54 pm

Dustin. wrote:It is unreasonable to expect that large of an increase in such a short amount of time.

Maybe you should take the LSAT when you have less on your plate.

Unfortunately, this is pretty much dead on. Its admirable that you're able to handle everything you got going on in the first place (I certainly couldn't), and certainly moreso that you're trying to go to ls on top of that. However, going from a 142 to a 170 is a very ambitious goal to begin with, and all but impossible in 13 days. Do the schools you're looking at offer part time programs? These usually have lower cutoffs for applicants, and its possible that in a couple of weeks you could at least become familiar enough with the test to figure out a strategy for pacing, and bring your score up some. But really, it might be best to put off this change in your life until things have settled down, if at all possible.

ocean

Postby ocean » Tue May 25, 2010 3:09 pm

hey, kristina. Your situation is really tough, even comparing to mine. I am in the middle of painful divorce as well, ending a 11 years relationship. I am defending in August for my PhD degree. All the lab work, writing dissertaion, stress over the divorce and the LSAT are all taking huge tolls on me. I am only able to sleep 5 hours every night and wake up frequently. I lost 14 pounds in the last month and half.

You goal is close to impossible. It took me 3 months to improve from 153 cold diagonostic to now averaging at 172, and I still worry about not maintaining this level on the real thing. English is my second language, I am chinese, so it might take you a shorter preparation to close the gap, but not in 12 days.

My suggestion would be take a step back, register for october and cancel the coming one. Start with LSAC superprep and work your way through all the preptests. You'll be in a much better position. I hope you get out of this situation soon. Churchill said: if you are going through hell, keep going. Don't panic, people think irrationally when they are in distress and panic. Taking the test in June is not the rational thing to do IMO.

samolly

Postby samolly » Tue May 25, 2010 3:14 pm

I am a mom of 2 under 5, and work full time, so I think I may have a grasp of your schedule :) I am also taking the June LSAT. I have been studying since April, in the evenings after the kids go to bed, before work, and during my lunch hour. It might be better if you shoot for the Oct test. You will absorb a lot more studying an hour every day than cramming in two weeks. I assume with your due date, you will have the fall semester off, so you should have some great study time in late Aug - through when the baby is born. Then you can just relax with the baby knowing you are fully prepared for the test with no need for last minute cramming that will take you away from the baby. Good luck!

kristinadyl1

Postby kristinadyl1 » Tue May 25, 2010 3:15 pm

Thanks! I pretty much know I need much more time than 13 days. I am sure I could bring it up enough to get into some of the public law schools. My "reaching school" is Michigan and this is why I want such a high score. Another school is Ohio State. It isn't a top ten but that is ok. Michigan is just closer for me and my GPA is 3.75 right now, I can possibly get a 3.85 at graduation. It sucks this test is so hard and can make your GPA seem so inferior. Is it best to settle for a lower score an go to a public school possibly part time, or should I take the test in October and hope for a MUCH better score and try for a top ten school?

stintez

Postby stintez » Tue May 25, 2010 3:19 pm

kristinadyl1 wrote:Thanks! I pretty much know I need much more time than 13 days. I am sure I could bring it up enough to get into some of the public law schools. My "reaching school" is Michigan and this is why I want such a high score. Another school is Ohio State. It isn't a top ten but that is ok. Michigan is just closer for me and my GPA is 3.75 right now, I can possibly get a 3.85 at graduation. It sucks this test is so hard and can make your GPA seem so inferior. Is it best to settle for a lower score an go to a public school possibly part time, or should I take the test in October and hope for a MUCH better score and try for a top ten school?

If you can get a 157 or so I bet you could get money to a few school right near you. Also you could take the test on June 7th just for practice and then cancel your score. Good luck either way stick in there.

Janus

Postby Janus » Tue May 25, 2010 3:22 pm

kristinadyl1 wrote:Thanks! I pretty much know I need much more time than 13 days. I am sure I could bring it up enough to get into some of the public law schools. My "reaching school" is Michigan and this is why I want such a high score. Another school is Ohio State. It isn't a top ten but that is ok. Michigan is just closer for me and my GPA is 3.75 right now, I can possibly get a 3.85 at graduation. It sucks this test is so hard and can make your GPA seem so inferior. Is it best to settle for a lower score an go to a public school possibly part time, or should I take the test in October and hope for a MUCH better score and try for a top ten school?

Most law schools don't offer part-time programs. You will need to find a list of schools that offer a part-time program first, and then look at their LSAT/GPA percentiles. I think you may be able to hit 150s by June. In the end, I agree with the posters above that you should wait until October. If you're still struggling in October, you can take it in December. February is also an option, but then you are getting late in the cycle, which depending on the school could hurt your cycle.

NU_Jet55

Postby NU_Jet55 » Tue May 25, 2010 3:24 pm

I don't think you quite understand how schools are ranked. Just because a school is "public" doesn't make it any better/worse than a school that may be classified as "private."

HTH

kristinadyl1

Postby kristinadyl1 » Tue May 25, 2010 3:29 pm

I know there are many good unranked schools out there. I didn't mean to make them sound like they are not just as capable as the rest. Thanks for your time everyone! I called Ohio State and it is perfectly fine for me to take the October test and still get in the following Fall. I think that is best.

GermX

Postby GermX » Tue May 25, 2010 3:37 pm

Just cancel it, or go there and take it then cancel your score the next day, just to practice. Also, study the entire summer and do it in September. In my humble opinion though, you shouldn't be going to law school with that many kids and an impending pregnancy.

chitown825

Postby chitown825 » Tue May 25, 2010 3:40 pm

kristinadyl1 wrote:I am not a dumb person but this test is rediculous!! I excede at school and everything I put my mind to, why do I feel so stupid and worthless when it comes to this test?

Nobody has called flame yet? The post count is only 6, too.

NU_Jet55

Postby NU_Jet55 » Tue May 25, 2010 3:40 pm

GermX wrote:In my humble opinion though, you shouldn't be going to law school with that many kids and an impending pregnancy.

lol I remember that thread...

chitown825

Postby chitown825 » Tue May 25, 2010 3:41 pm

kristinadyl1 wrote:I am not a dumb person but this test is rediculous!! I excede at school and everything I put my mind to, why do I feel so stupid and worthless when it comes to this test?

Nobody has called flame yet?

edit: formatting

stintez

Postby stintez » Tue May 25, 2010 3:44 pm

chitown825 wrote:

No because nobody is going to be a DBAG in this case.

NU_Jet55

Postby NU_Jet55 » Tue May 25, 2010 3:44 pm

kristinadyl1 wrote:I know there are many good unranked schools out there.

Every school is ranked or placed in the third or fourth tier. If you're referring to third and fourth tier schools as "good," I would humbly disagree.

yeff

Postby yeff » Tue May 25, 2010 3:47 pm

Don't take it in June. or if you do, do it for the practice, cancel, study more and take in october also.

Janus

Postby Janus » Tue May 25, 2010 3:49 pm

stintez wrote:
chitown825 wrote:

No because nobody is going to be a DBAG in this case.

I honestly don't think it's a flame. I also didn't want to be a DBAG.

testmaster85

Postby testmaster85 » Tue May 25, 2010 3:51 pm

There is something you can do. Cancel the LSAT, take it later.

testmaster85

Postby testmaster85 » Tue May 25, 2010 3:52 pm

NU_Jet55 wrote:

I don't think you quite understand how schools are ranked. Just because a school is "public" doesn't make it any better/worse than a school that may be classified as "private."

HTH

Not true.

berkeleykel06

Postby berkeleykel06 » Tue May 25, 2010 4:00 pm

NU_Jet55 wrote:

HTH

kristinadyl1 wrote:I know there are many good unranked schools out there. I didn't mean to make them sound like they are not just as capable as the rest. Thanks for your time everyone! I called Ohio State and it is perfectly fine for me to take the October test and still get in the following Fall. I think that is best.

RC fail.

NU_Jet55

Postby NU_Jet55 » Tue May 25, 2010 4:06 pm

testmaster85 wrote:
NU_Jet55 wrote:

HTH

Not true.

I think I found the flame.

kristinadyl1

Postby kristinadyl1 » Tue May 25, 2010 7:59 pm

I guess some people have a problem with my spelling. Maybe I thought this is a place to get help from others and not be picked apart because I really didn't feel it necessary to use spell check, I do that enough in school. It's a discussion board. I wasn't asking for approval, only for help. I also made this post after the paractice test when I was in tears and my brain was fried. So to the people who have the free time to check my spelling, thanks! I will try harder. To the person with the comment about how many kids I have, I'm pretty sure I asked to leave my personal life out of it. I did not ask your opinion about my life. It is because of my wonderful children that I want to do something with my life. Thanks to those who did not feel the need to be dbags. PS, I did not use a spell checker this time so some of you would have something to do. :roll:

NU_Jet55

Postby NU_Jet55 » Tue May 25, 2010 10:02 pm

kristinadyl1 wrote:I guess some people have a problem with my spelling. Maybe I thought this is a place to get help from others and not be picked apart because I really didn't feel it necessary to use spell check, I do that enough in school. It's a discussion board. I wasn't asking for approval, only for help. I also made this post after the paractice test when I was in tears and my brain was fried. So to the people who have the free time to check my spelling, thanks! I will try harder. To the person with the comment about how many kids I have, I'm pretty sure I asked to leave my personal life out of it. I did not ask your opinion about my life. It is because of my wonderful children that I want to do something with my life. Thanks to those who did not feel the need to be dbags. PS, I did not use a spell checker this time so some of you would have something to do. :roll:

um. what?

Return to “LSAT Prep and Discussion Forum”