What order should RC passages be done in

iwanta170

What order should RC passages be done in

Postby iwanta170 » Tue May 25, 2010 2:32 pm

I took the December 2009 practice test today (if you haven't done this test yet, some spoilers are ahead) and got a 167.

What really stumped me was reading comprehension. I actually missed 9 in this section.

After the first 2 passages, I had gone 13/15 and was on pace (I had taken 8:45 on each of the first 2 passages). Then came the infamous sculpture passage that some people are calling one of the most difficult RC passages in LSAT history. I took way way too much on this passage and still, to my surprise, missed 5 of 7. The last passage was only 5 questions so I thought that even though I was running behind on time, I could get through this passage quickly. But after the sculpture (3rd) passage I only had 5 minutes left, which just wasn't enough time. So although I thought the 4th passage was an easy read, I missed 2 of 5 just because the 3rd passage had drained all of my time.

I'm not sure what to take from this. What do you all think is the best approach in terms of what order to do passages in? I know it's not an easy question to answer because the test-taker does not know which passage, if any, is going to be a "killer" passage

yeff

Re: What order should RC passages be done in

Postby yeff » Tue May 25, 2010 3:27 pm

Take from it that you can't take too long on any one passage or question. Each question is worth the same, easy or hard, so don't fall into the trap of taking forever on a really difficult one and not being able to pick up easy points.

I took Dec' 09 as my real LSAT and on both LR and RC circled a handful of tough questions that I wasn't so confident on, then returned to check at the end. But I had been practicing PTs to the point where I could regularly finish with a few minutes to spare per section, so YMMV.

alicrimson

Postby alicrimson » Tue May 25, 2010 3:31 pm

Before I start any RC passage I like to count the number of questions for each and attack the ones with the most questions first. All the passages are relatively the same length, so why not go for the one with the most points? Also, in an unforeseen time crunch, you are guessing on less questions. As for topic, if both are similar in respect to questions, I like to go for the humanities ones last, as I actually enjoy those or the diverse culture ones. Good luck!

stintez

Postby stintez » Tue May 25, 2010 3:37 pm

alicrimson wrote:Before I start any RC passage I like to count the number of questions for each and attack the ones with the most questions first. All the passages are relatively the same length, so why not go for the one with the most points? Also, in an unforeseen time crunch, you are guessing on less questions. As for topic, if both are similar in respect to questions, I like to go for the humanities ones last, as I actually enjoy those or the diverse culture ones. Good luck!

+100000 YOU ALWAYS DO THE ONE WITH 8 QUESTIONS FIRST

Return to “LSAT Prep and Discussion Forum”