Trouble with logic games even after LGB?

enigma09

Trouble with logic games even after LGB?

Postby enigma09 » Mon May 24, 2010 8:22 pm

I read the PowerScore LGB recently and I felt, after finishing it, that my performance in logic games was helped greatly by it. I could do almost all of the book's games in the 8 minutes and 45 seconds that is allotted to each game. Yet, for some reason, on my last 2 practice tests, I've had trouble finishing the games section and ended up missing 5 questions each time. I don't feel that any of the individual games were extremely difficult, and I feel that I could have done any of them individually in 8:45. I'm not sure what it is about combining 4 games, then, that throws me off my timing. Has anyone else had this problem?

jdstl

Re: Trouble with logic games even after LGB?

Postby jdstl » Mon May 24, 2010 8:30 pm

I'm still having trouble with LG as well, even after going through the LGB fairly carefully. But I'm seeing improvement with LOTS of practice. The more LG sections you do, the more you internalize the things you learn from the Bible. The Bible teaches you how to solve LG's, practice helps you solve them more quickly.

PLATONiC

Postby PLATONiC » Mon May 24, 2010 8:34 pm

This happens to a lot of people. You just need to practice, and you'll be fine.

enigma09

Postby enigma09 » Mon May 24, 2010 11:52 pm

PLATONiC wrote:This happens to a lot of people. You just need to practice, and you'll be fine.

Well, that's definitely reassuring. But is there a reason for this? I felt like I went through the book pretty thoroughly.

hellojd

Postby hellojd » Tue May 25, 2010 12:03 am

enigma09 wrote:
PLATONiC wrote:This happens to a lot of people. You just need to practice, and you'll be fine.

Well, that's definitely reassuring. But is there a reason for this? I felt like I went through the book pretty thoroughly.

It's just the way it is. What you need to do is go here viewtopic.php?f=6&t=50657, make 2-3 photocopies of each game, and drill by section. If you want some extra resources, I found the Powerscore Ultimate setup guide and LG workbook to be reasonably useful (I too felt like I needed additional practice. I now am always -0/-1 on LG sections).

BigA

Postby BigA » Tue May 25, 2010 12:34 am

Dude, if just going through the book thoroughly made you perfect, we'd all have 180s. Sounds like you're in great shape. By the time you do every PT you may be perfect.

enigma09

Postby enigma09 » Tue May 25, 2010 12:44 am

Thanks for the advice so far. I definitely get the idea of doing as many logic games as possible, I just hate that I'll be taking future practice tests and some of them will include games that I've already done. I've got this unshakeable idea in my head that, because all of the games will be new on my real LSAT, I'm not being fair to myself in preparation. I guess I'm just being paranoid.

revolution724

Postby revolution724 » Tue May 25, 2010 12:46 am

Yes, this was the section on which I had the most trouble, and fortunately, it's the easiest to improve with practice.

They sell books just full of logic games. They might not be actual LSAT sections, but they still help. Get a few, work through them, it'll probably click eventually.

hellojd

Postby hellojd » Wed May 26, 2010 6:18 pm

enigma09 wrote:Thanks for the advice so far. I definitely get the idea of doing as many logic games as possible, I just hate that I'll be taking future practice tests and some of them will include games that I've already done. I've got this unshakeable idea in my head that, because all of the games will be new on my real LSAT, I'm not being fair to myself in preparation. I guess I'm just being paranoid.

I'm sort of the same way... but, unless you literally plan on doing every single PT out there (which some people do), at least use this technique with the first 2 next 10 books. That still leaves you with about 30 fresh PTs, which should be more than enough.

shock259

Postby shock259 » Wed May 26, 2010 6:36 pm

It'll click eventually. It takes a long time, but it's well worth it when it does. I finally got my first perfect LG section on my last PT. Too bad I bombed the final LR. I swear, as soon as you master one section, another falls into disrepair.

BigA

Postby BigA » Wed May 26, 2010 6:49 pm

shock259 wrote:It'll click eventually. It takes a long time, but it's well worth it when it does. I finally got my first perfect LG section on my last PT. Too bad I bombed the final LR. I swear, as soon as you master one section, another falls into disrepair.

LOL.. I hear that.

theavrock

Postby theavrock » Wed May 26, 2010 7:02 pm

I was in the same position. The LG Bible gives you a great foundation but it is not the be all end all that will get you to -0 on LG.

It wasn't until I did tons of games (6-7 per day) and doing each game multiple times until I started to internalize things. After doing them so often you just start to see the patterns and the right answers start to jump off the page.

Like someone else said do the Pithypike guide at the top of the LSAT prep board to a T and you will improve.

Sandro

Postby Sandro » Wed May 26, 2010 10:58 pm

still at around -9 or so depending on difficulty of the section. I have the setups down pretty well but I am not seeing these patterns yet and feeling lost on some games. I think a lot of it is mental - give me an extra minute or two and I can get the whole thing right.

PLATONiC

Postby PLATONiC » Wed May 26, 2010 11:32 pm

Here's what you do:

Follow what Mr. Pithypike says on his guide about making 2-3 photo copies of all the LGs. Don't tackle any of the LGs from Preptests that you haven't finished. You don't want to taint your future PTs and thereby skewing your score; solving all of the LG sections discussed in LGB already does this to a small degree.

Even if you already know the "answer" to a particular LG question because you've already solved it twice, it is imperative that you grow "accustomed" to forming the specific type of inference that was initially needed in order for one to arrive at that answer. Repeating games is an excellent way for you to gain familiary with the common forms of inferences that LG questions evoke. Although there are 'unusual' inferences here and there on the later PTs, these are really uncommon and can be tackled on a case-by-case basis.

So, to put it in a nutshell, what you pretty much gain from repeating previously solved LGs is 1.) Developing a sense of familiarity with forming inferences, and 2.) Developing a sense of famliarity with Diagramming LG problems. Don't you think building upon these two factors will inevitably enhance your speed AND accuracy? It took me 15 minutes to finish a game when I first started out; this is AFTER finishing LG. Even after fifteen minutes, I still missed certain questions. Now it takes me six minutes on some of those games, and maximum of nine minutes on the most difficult games, with nearly 100% accuracy.

If you have any questions, PM me, and I'll be more than happy to help you.

Disclaimer: I still haven't taken the LSAT yet, but will be in a few weeks.

Return to “LSAT Prep and Discussion Forum”