Any Advice?

habanero

Any Advice?

Postby habanero » Mon May 24, 2010 2:22 pm

Last year, I enrolled in a LSAT prep course, but due to personal reasons I stopped going early on. All the materials are virtually untouched and I can retake the course at half price, if I can afford to do so. I am now planning on taking the LSAT this September and would like some advice.

Would it be worth it to go at it on my own, using the materials I already have and see how I do in September? Or should I try to sell my powerscore materials(any estimates as to how much I could get for them) and save up some money, which may allow me to retake the course? For the record, self motivation is not something I’m known for.

Any downside to studying on your own and then switching over to a course?

Anyone used the powerscore materials to study on their own?

Thanks.

Ronaldo

Re: Any Advice?

Postby Ronaldo » Mon May 24, 2010 2:30 pm

I recommend taking a course first, get the basics down, and then study by your own doing problems and PT's.

habanero

Postby habanero » Mon May 24, 2010 2:33 pm

Thanks for your response. The issue here is I don't know if I can afford it, money is pretty tight right now. Any idea how much money I can get for my powerscore materials?

Ronaldo

Postby Ronaldo » Mon May 24, 2010 2:36 pm

I have tons of prep books I can give to you... The only problem is that they are used and most of the problems have marks on them

Ronaldo

Postby Ronaldo » Mon May 24, 2010 2:38 pm

sorry, misunderstood the response, I thought you needed prep books.
I don't know how much you could by selling the prep books.

lawschoolgiant

Postby lawschoolgiant » Mon May 24, 2010 2:40 pm

habanero wrote:Last year, I enrolled in a LSAT prep course, but due to personal reasons I stopped going early on. All the materials are virtually untouched and I can retake the course at half price, if I can afford to do so. I am now planning on taking the LSAT this September and would like some advice.

Would it be worth it to go at it on my own, using the materials I already have and see how I do in September? Or should I try to sell my powerscore materials(any estimates as to how much I could get for them) and save up some money, which may allow me to retake the course? For the record, self motivation is not something I’m known for.

hated the PS course, loved the materials.

habanero

Postby habanero » Mon May 24, 2010 2:42 pm

Ronaldo wrote:sorry, misunderstood the response, I thought you needed prep books.
I don't know how much you could by selling the prep books.

No, I do have the prep books, but thanks for the offer anyway.

habanero

Postby habanero » Mon May 24, 2010 2:43 pm

lawschoolgiant wrote:
habanero wrote:Last year, I enrolled in a LSAT prep course, but due to personal reasons I stopped going early on. All the materials are virtually untouched and I can retake the course at half price, if I can afford to do so. I am now planning on taking the LSAT this September and would like some advice.

At any point did you simply stop going? Are you a self-motivator?

Ronaldo

Postby Ronaldo » Mon May 24, 2010 2:49 pm

habanero wrote:
lawschoolgiant wrote:

At any point did you simply stop going? Are you a self-motivator?

Yes, there are times you do no want to go to class. However, I do believe that you should attend every class and pay attention closely. Treat it like any regular class and attend, pay attention, and do the HW.

After the course is over, do many PT's under timed conditions (IMO, this is the most important study tool)...

as for motivation, studying for the LSAT is a marathon and very daunting and exhausting... try to picture yourself going to your dream school, looking at the rewards LSAT prep can do for you. It is very important to stay motivated, but at the end, all the hard work pays off.

momo_08

Postby momo_08 » Mon May 24, 2010 2:54 pm

I wasn't very self-motivated either so when i took the test first time around I wasn't studying much because it was A. summer and gorgeous outside and B. all my friends weren't studying, they were on vacations!.
Second time around, i had two VERY motivated friends studying for it, so every night we went to the library together and kept each other going. Get a study group because that will help you keep on track!

I would also say that you first need to take a course to explain it to you and then study or do it both at the same time. I think it would be harder to figure out the LSAT without previous preparation from people who know it inside and out.

habanero

Postby habanero » Mon May 24, 2010 3:30 pm

Depending on how much I can get for my powerscore materials, I might just go for it on my own. If things aren't going well, I guess I could always retake or take the LSAT in December(hopefully I will have the money for it), taking the prep course that leads up to it. I'm just affraid this could be problematic, in that I may have to unlearn strategies and methods I taught myself.

I guess I just need to mentally prepare myself for several months of focused and intense studying. Thanks for the advice.

Ronaldo

Postby Ronaldo » Mon May 24, 2010 3:39 pm

Although the class is the best way to start, if you cannot afford it, you can still excel without it. Just be discipline in your study schedule and treat the LSAT as your number one priority. Studying meticulously for several months is worth it, it could mean the acceptance of your dream school and thousands of dollars in scholarship money.

Good Luck!

habanero

Postby habanero » Mon May 24, 2010 3:48 pm

Thanks Ronaldo.

Return to “LSAT Prep and Discussion Forum”