October Test Takers Prep starts HERE

LawSuccess

Re: October Test Takers Prep starts HERE

Postby LawSuccess » Thu Jun 03, 2010 4:50 pm

So, I'm going to be a no show on Monday. I'm going to try for October because I know I can do better. This time, I've developed an aggressive study schedule/plan, and I have some people in my life who will help me stay accountable.

Biggest Strength: LR

Biggest Weakness: LG

Target: 170+
Last edited by LawSuccess on Mon Mar 26, 2012 2:00 pm, edited 2 times in total.

CurlyKat

Postby CurlyKat » Sat Jun 05, 2010 10:27 am

Hi everyone, I am also taking the October test. I just started studying last week with the LGB. I am hoping to finish the book by next weekend or mid-week after that. Then I want to move on to the LR bible. I think I've seen some people saying they finished the two books in a week or two and I am just amazed- is that normal? Are you guys that fast? I must be slow or something, but there's no way I could finish even just the one bible in one week!
Anyways, I finished my UG two years ago, in psychology. I studied in the UK, so I don't know what my GPA is, I graduated with First though, so not bad. Masters with distinction, just finished.
I haven't taken a diagnostic yet, I have only done about three PTs, untimed.
Weakness- timing. It takes me well over 35 mins to finish any of the sections.
Target- 172+ (dreaming)
I am also trying to incorporate the three previously mentioned study plans.. but not word from word.
So, nice to meet you and good luck!

jrodz80

Postby jrodz80 » Sat Jun 05, 2010 11:10 am

I'm planning on taking the LSAT in October and I'm gunning for a 165. I hope to get into UF and FSU.

northwood

Postby northwood » Sat Jun 05, 2010 4:00 pm

okay... i have a theoretical question for anyone and everyone. Would you rather get into a top 50 school paying full sticker or witha partial scholarship, or go to a tiertop 100/ tier 2 on a full sholarship? I know any bonuses are contigent on lsat scores, but I'm just wondering what people's thought processes are. Personally I'm gunning for a full ride to any school ( as long as its not tier 4), but do the top 50 make the job search easier/ more lucrative ( sp)? theres still a lot of time before anyone can think of the job hunt, but law school is expensive and the big paying jobs aren't that numerous.

For me.. as long as the school is recognizable and has a good rapport in the law community i'd go( and if they offer to help with the expenses). Especially if they help with clerking and summer internship finding so the networking process can begin soon. I allready have a good amount of student loans to pay ( thank you master degree in Special Education), so limiting the total amount of students loans is an important factor for me..

luxxe

Postby luxxe » Sat Jun 05, 2010 8:12 pm

northwood wrote:okay... i have a theoretical question for anyone and everyone. Would you rather get into a top 50 school paying full sticker or witha partial scholarship, or go to a tiertop 100/ tier 2 on a full sholarship? I know any bonuses are contigent on lsat scores, but I'm just wondering what people's thought processes are. Personally I'm gunning for a full ride to any school ( as long as its not tier 4), but do the top 50 make the job search easier/ more lucrative ( sp)? theres still a lot of time before anyone can think of the job hunt, but law school is expensive and the big paying jobs aren't that numerous.

For me.. as long as the school is recognizable and has a good rapport in the law community i'd go( and if they offer to help with the expenses). Especially if they help with clerking and summer internship finding so the networking process can begin soon. I allready have a good amount of student loans to pay ( thank you master degree in Special Education), so limiting the total amount of students loans is an important factor for me..

Higher ranked schools are going to allow you the opportunity to get much better, much higher paying jobs that lower ranked schools cannot. If you have no interest in biglaw and are content with working in the area that your school is in, going to a lower ranked school, especially for free, could make sense. Based on what I've read/been told, I wouldn't go to anything below T14 would some money & probably wouldn't attend anything below tier 1 - but that is because I do want biglaw & I'm very likely not going to get that out of a tier 2 school.

TMT90

Postby TMT90 » Sat Jun 05, 2010 9:53 pm

northwood wrote:okay... i have a theoretical question for anyone and everyone. Would you rather get into a top 50 school paying full sticker or witha partial scholarship, or go to a tiertop 100/ tier 2 on a full sholarship? I know any bonuses are contigent on lsat scores, but I'm just wondering what people's thought processes are. Personally I'm gunning for a full ride to any school ( as long as its not tier 4), but do the top 50 make the job search easier/ more lucrative ( sp)? theres still a lot of time before anyone can think of the job hunt, but law school is expensive and the big paying jobs aren't that numerous.

For me, neither. Top 20 (and that's pushing it) or bust. I have a high GPA and all I need is a high LSAT to go with it. If I don't get into a top 15-20, I will not go to law school. At least not yet... i'd probably pursue an MBA.

James Bond

Postby James Bond » Mon Jun 07, 2010 8:35 pm

James Bond wrote:Haha tag depending on how I do in June

Looks like I jinxed myself. October here I come

missvik218

Postby missvik218 » Mon Jun 07, 2010 8:45 pm

viewtopic.php?f=6&t=119504

Seriously I have SO MUCH STUFF all freaking brand new and I have no use for it.

lostjake

Postby lostjake » Mon Jun 07, 2010 8:46 pm

I'm going to throw my hat in
5 years out of engineering UG
probably not going to law school
took lsat in feb scored 171
just want to see if I can do better, need to improve on RC
goal: 173-175

luckyyykat

Postby luckyyykat » Mon Jun 07, 2010 11:30 pm

Just bombed the June LSAT; makes me want to try harder. lets do this october test!!

James Bond

Postby James Bond » Mon Jun 07, 2010 11:32 pm

luckyyykat wrote:Just bombed the June LSAT; makes me want to try harder. lets do this october test!!

AAAAAAAAAmen

nsideirish

Postby nsideirish » Mon Jun 07, 2010 11:37 pm

Another June guy here. I was pretty sure I was going to be taking it again in October regardless, but there is now not a doubt in my mind after guessing through one of the LGs.

Woooo...OCTOBERRRRR

motiontodismiss

Postby motiontodismiss » Tue Jun 08, 2010 12:36 am

A december taker but I'll bite.

Background:
Graduated undergrad this spring
Been "studying" on and off for the past semester (meaning taking a couple practice tests lol)
Never took the LSAT before
Crap GPA (3.5ish?) and mediocre to subpar softs hoping for a splitter T10 miracle

Game plan:
Take an online course, August to December
Read the Powerscore bibles cover to cover, June-July
Do all 59-60 PrepTests (half with Simugator), hopefully twice, from now to Test day.
Starting: today

Timed PT in March: 155 (PrepTest 36)
Untimed PT today: (on and off for about 3 hours, in two different locations) 165 (PrepTest 7)

Dream: 180
Goal: 175+
Realistic: 172+

Just kill me. Now.

rBoogie81

Postby rBoogie81 » Tue Jun 08, 2010 4:50 am

How's it going everyone?

luckyyykat wrote:Just bombed the June LSAT; makes me want to try harder. lets do this october test!!

Same here and a woo hoo! to October...

Background:
I'm a senior UG 1 major with two minors. I will be applying for my degree in Spring '11.

Studying approach:
Self Study (I'm also thinking about a course, depending on whether or not I can make improvements on my own)
- LSAC Superprep
- Own all 3 PS Bibles
- Own the Next 10
- Now that I found TLS, I'm going to incorporate Pithypike's approach.
- Purchasing the Kaplan Mastery really soon and all the other prep tests the LSAC prints.

My biggest mistake was thinking I could cram all the above material in 2 weeks. I've been repeating myself (and kicking myself in the a$$) over and over again about this.

victorlong

Postby victorlong » Tue Jun 08, 2010 5:50 am

finished two bachelor degrees in China and now studying political science in CUNY

tried this June yesterday and probably could get around 160

May try it again for a higher number if the score confirms my guess

Target: 170

Strength: LG (almost never worse than -2)
Weakness: RC (around 8 to 10 every time)
Improving: LR (from -12 per section to -6)

Godlike

Postby Godlike » Tue Jun 08, 2010 6:13 am

Graduating Bachelors in 2011 May

Shooting for 180, so far averaging 177

Biggest STR: LR: -0 90%

Biggest WK: LG: Major time issues on harder LG sections, I "plug and chug" mostly :(

Just took June LSAT and am canceling, pretty sure I would be -0 on the whole thing but I read the rule on the las LG problem wrong, didnt realize it, and ran out of time so my test is -0.-0.-6.-0 :(

James Bond

Postby James Bond » Tue Jun 08, 2010 10:36 am

Godlike wrote:Just took June LSAT and am canceling, pretty sure I would be -0 on the whole thing but I read the rule on the las LG problem wrong, didnt realize it, and ran out of time so my test is -0.-0.-6.-0 :(

Would kill for that split

Unshake

Postby Unshake » Tue Jun 08, 2010 6:23 pm

I'll join in to revive the thread.

I'm in undergraduate majoring in Genetics/Cell Biology with the option to pick up a double major in Neuroscience for a couple courses, unimpressive GPA (~3.5-3.6). I've taken two 4-section timed diagnostic tests and got 165 and 164 with my biggest strength being LG and biggest weakness being RC. Although, two tests isn't really that indicative of what I need to work on because I was sort of getting a few questions wrong across the board, no perfect sections.

Goal: I'm not sure, but I'd be very happy with anything 170 or higher.
School Goal: Money somewhere in the Midwest (IA, MN, WI) or maybe T14 for sticker (I'll probably get dinged in most of T14).

Study Plans: I'll be doing independent study up until Mid/Late August consisting of bibles, lots of timed 5 or 6 section practice tests, and various other materials. On the last couple days to enroll in Powerscore's courses I'll take 1-2 of the newer LSATs and if I'm not testing close to where I want to be/improving at an acceptable rate I'll take a course.

Top14dreams

Postby Top14dreams » Wed Jun 09, 2010 6:03 am

I am joining.

Going to be a third time LSAT test taker :? ... Hopefully third time will be a charm

My current weaknesses are LR and RC.

Honestly speaking do you guys think it is possible to go from a 160 to 170? 170 is my target goal not sure anymore if it is a realistic one

brickman

Postby brickman » Wed Jun 09, 2010 8:05 am

Top14dreams wrote:I am joining.

Going to be a third time LSAT test taker :? ... Hopefully third time will be a charm

Honestly speaking do you guys think it is possible to go from a 160 to 170? 170 is my target goal not sure anymore if it is a realistic one

Are you willing to take 30+ PT and review them completely and honestly?

Top14dreams

Postby Top14dreams » Wed Jun 09, 2010 9:40 am

brickman wrote:

Yup I am :) ...I could use some tips on how to effectively review PT's for maxium improvement

brickman

Postby brickman » Wed Jun 09, 2010 2:10 pm

Top14dreams wrote:
brickman wrote:

Yup I am :) ...I could use some tips on how to effectively review PT's for maxium improvement

viewtopic.php?f=6&t=36512

viewtopic.php?f=6&t=83117

viewtopic.php?f=6&t=396

The general consensus from what I have read is that you need to take the prep tests (from old working towards the most recent) and train yourself with added endurance (inserting 2 extra sections to allow your mind to be focused through game days 5 sections) and review EVERY question, regardless of whether or not you got it correct. Break down each question and understand its base elements and areas where you are failing to make the jump between these elements.

Create a schedule that you can hold yourself accountable to and ask questions if they should arise. There is lots of people far smarter then us on here who are capable of providing very good advice.

Edit: I would also advise you to take the test first under timed conditions and then take a break and go back through it and try to get a 180. Then review the correct answer. This way you will get the most out of the the PT. Further, I wouldn't worry so much about the 6 sections at the beginning of studying, that is more an endurance aspect that can be developed later in your studying. First things first, make sure you are doing your 4 section test as best as possible under timed and then untimed conditions.

DavidYurman85

Postby DavidYurman85 » Wed Jun 09, 2010 2:21 pm

i'm sitting for the october test. my plan includes several personal variations of the ones posted on this site. if i'm not grasping the concepts by the end of summer then i'll get a tutor or enroll in a class (i really don't want to spend the money)

current prep includes: working my way through the lgb and dense reading; lr next; and then rc

aiming for a 180!

at what point does everyone plan on taking timed practice tests?

brickman

Postby brickman » Wed Jun 09, 2010 2:29 pm

DavidYurman85 wrote:at what point does everyone plan on taking timed practice tests?

Was curious about this as well. I'm trying to figure out what would be a good rate. I think we have 16 or so weeks left and I was considering doing pt 29-60 (maybe some of the older ones as well) and it is looking like 2 a week if I were to start now. Obviously I'm not ready to start, I've not gone through the LRB yet, but once that is over, which should take another 3 weeks or so, I'll probably start ratcheting up to 1 every other day or so and then full day of review every sunday on that weeks pt's

crysmissmichelle

Postby crysmissmichelle » Wed Jun 09, 2010 2:35 pm

List your background and study techniques.
Background: Out of UG 7 yrs ago. . .have MT from 4 years ago. . .teaching since then.
REALLY want to go to George Washington for specific program and location but cannot afford school if not on scholarship :(

Took the LSAT last September (on a whim) with only six weeks prep time. . .had never seen a logic game before, but made it my best section on the actual test. Got a 159 after being stomped by RC *sigh* (and having been kept up all night by my screaming 3 month old daughter who was apparently as affected by my nerves as I was. . .)

Biggest Strength/Weakness: All Fairly Equal

Target: 173+ for scholarship opportunities, but aiming as high as I can get. . .

Own all three Bibles and have read/worked them cover to cover. . .am right now doing part by part practice tests as it is difficult to get three hour blocks free to take the whole test at one time.

I have the summer off, so should be able to take two practice tests (realistic situations) and a few partials a week. . . .October here I come!

Return to “LSAT Prep and Discussion Forum”