NDPhil

Re: October Test Takers Prep starts HERE

Postby NDPhil » Tue May 25, 2010 8:42 am

Background:
A couple of graduate degrees in law-related fields
Out of undergrad for 7+ years
Three years full-time work experience in administrative position

Study Strategy:
Right now, I am working through Get Prepped!'s ACE the LSAT Logic Games (very helpful), Daniel Bonevac's Simple Logic and W.V.O. Quine's Elementary Logic (these are absolutely great for LR).

Soon, I will begin both Powerscore Bibles.

30 Practice Tests. I have taken 3: SuperPrep C - 163, PT 22 - 168, PT 28 - 170

Strength: Logical Reasoning
Weakness: Logic Games

Target: 178 on actual test

jaydizzle

Postby jaydizzle » Tue May 25, 2010 8:52 am

So, here is my story. I am going to be graduating in December from my UG (top 40ish private technical school- most are doing engineering, but I am doing business. Business seems to be up and coming here as it is getting recognized more and more and rising in the rankings). Currently, I am sitting at a 3.93. I got a 153 on December's test. I studied off and on last summer, but I only went through about 6 practice tests. I took the Blueprint online course which helped, but I didn't do all the homework assignments! I have Atlas materials now, and I like their game methods better. I like their material because it is almost like a tweaked Powerscore course. I never solidified my timing issues. On test date, I got through 2.5 games, 2.5 RC passages, and most of the LR questions. I filled in D for anything I didn't get to, so I guess that picked me up a couple of points. The worst thing is that LR is my worst. Despite not finishing and filling in D for unanswered questions, I almost finished LR. It was my worst part of the test! I had a 143 diagnostic, so I guess I made some progress. I am getting back to the test for the first time since December.

I really really really hope I can get a 165 or more in October so I never have to worry about taking this test again. I don't want to find myself graduating in December without a job and without law school in the near future. I need to work on accuracy and timing. I am a very slow test taker. I'm guessing that if I can pull a 3.93, and I have done well on state tests that I can do this. My SAT wasn't great, but I didn't put any effort into it and surprise surprise timing killed me. I really don't want to downgrade from my UG and attend a low level law school. UCONN is instate for me, and I think that would be a good place to go provided I get a 160+. I really need to get a 160 or better for a shot at UCONN most likely. My ultimate dream is the T14, but my history with timed testing isn't too great. For a T14, I would probably need a 168 minimum for something like G'town PT.

-Jake

hotdog123

Postby hotdog123 » Tue May 25, 2010 10:03 am

Background:
Out of undergrad for 5 years
Took LSAT last February and scored an "I know I can do better than that" 158
Accepted to my TTT state school but decided to reapply early next cycle after a full year of prep
I've been studying since the beginning of April; knocking out a chapter a day of the Power Score bibles; will take approximately 15-20 PTs before October

Biggest Strength: Reading Comp (typically finish all 4 passages with time to spare, miss about one question per passage)

Biggest Weakness: Logic Games (rare if I completely finish 3 games)

Target: 165+

Pastels

Postby Pastels » Tue May 25, 2010 10:06 am

Took 3 Sections of PT 29 yesterday. I will admit I have seen these sections about a year ago.

Best Section was LG and LR: -3 combined and finished both with ample time to spre

Worst Section: RC -5, missed all 5 in the first 12 questions.

With 4+ months I am making sure I ease myself into hardcore studying. No need to burn out early.

doublefocus4

Postby doublefocus4 » Tue May 25, 2010 10:22 am

I initially planned to take the LSAT last December and studied for a few weeks but ended up not taking it. Since joining this forum, I have realized what a great decision that was.
Total change of strategy this time. I have obtained all the PTs, Bibles, Master the LSAT & The 10s (Next, More, Actual). I plan to start studying intensively from July 1st through October. Will take at least 3 PTs a week.

Ultimate Goal:180

I have an LSAC GPA of 4.05 and I will hate myself forever if I score anything below 173.

Will be updating as I progress....

Pastels

Postby Pastels » Tue May 25, 2010 10:33 am

I hate you for that GPA. Mine is a weak 3.42 LSDAS

acadec

Postby acadec » Tue May 25, 2010 1:07 pm

180 on PrepTest 11 today. I'm ecstatic.

weejonbu

Postby weejonbu » Tue May 25, 2010 1:16 pm

acadec wrote:180 on PrepTest 11 today. I'm ecstatic.

Send me some of that mojo you got working

bretrobert1120

Postby bretrobert1120 » Tue May 25, 2010 1:27 pm

I'm totally here with all of y'all. I'm a graduate student at UT Austin, getting my M.A. in Cell and Molecular Biology. Studying for the October LSAT, started earlier this month. My PT's are all low 160's, I'm shooting for a 175!

Strength: Reading Comprehension (98% correct on every PT)
Weakness: Logic Games

Just bought "The Logic Games Bible", and I'm pretty sure I can drastically improve my score before October! Also taking a Kaplan LSAT course starting in July!

mcnabb5

Postby mcnabb5 » Tue May 25, 2010 3:18 pm

Oct. LSAT will be my first one, and I'm applying for Fall 2011. Unfortunately, I only recently decided that I wanted to apply to LS, and I didn't want to make the mistake of rushing into an LSAT unprepared in June and scoring poorly, as I had heard this was one of the more common mistakes that applicants make. If I don't do as well as I'd like on the Oct. LSAT, does it make sense to try again in Dec., or can you even improve your score that much in a month and a half?

doublefocus4

Postby doublefocus4 » Tue May 25, 2010 10:01 pm

mcnabb5 wrote:Oct. LSAT will be my first one, and I'm applying for Fall 2011. Unfortunately, I only recently decided that I wanted to apply to LS, and I didn't want to make the mistake of rushing into an LSAT unprepared in June and scoring poorly, as I had heard this was one of the more common mistakes that applicants make. If I don't do as well as I'd like on the Oct. LSAT, does it make sense to try again in Dec., or can you even improve your score that much in a month and a half?

You should be walking into that LSAT room in October planning to take it only once. Planning a retake before the test is always a bad start. Plus, even if you retake and do better in December, you old score could still negatively affect your admission chances. You have adequate time for thorough preparation between now and Oct. If you know your sure you wanna go to law school, then start getting all the resources you need now (Bibles, PTs, etc) and clear you schedule for the next few months. Plus, check out the threads in LSAT Prep section of this forum. The information there have been invaluable to me.

Splitter55

Postby Splitter55 » Tue May 25, 2010 10:09 pm

7+ years out of undergrad at a T-10. Sub-3.0 GPA, so hoping for a 175+ to make the splitter shot at UVA/NW.

Strength: RC
Weakness: LG. Usually able to get the answers close to 100%, but nowhere close to fast enough.

Strategy: Run through the Powerscore LG Bible, looking to review again shortly. Trying to run through Steve's 5-month LSAT study schedule (stumbled onto his blog by accident).

Best of luck to all.

acadec

Postby acadec » Tue May 25, 2010 10:35 pm

doublefocus4 wrote:
mcnabb5 wrote:Oct. LSAT will be my first one, and I'm applying for Fall 2011. Unfortunately, I only recently decided that I wanted to apply to LS, and I didn't want to make the mistake of rushing into an LSAT unprepared in June and scoring poorly, as I had heard this was one of the more common mistakes that applicants make. If I don't do as well as I'd like on the Oct. LSAT, does it make sense to try again in Dec., or can you even improve your score that much in a month and a half?

You should be walking into that LSAT room in October planning to take it only once. Planning a retake before the test is always a bad start. Plus, even if you retake and do better in December, you old score could still negatively affect your admission chances. You have adequate time for thorough preparation between now and Oct. If you know your sure you wanna go to law school, then start getting all the resources you need now (Bibles, PTs, etc) and clear you schedule for the next few months. Plus, check out the threads in LSAT Prep section of this forum. The information there have been invaluable to me.

+1. testing is all about confidence and focus. like beer pong.

...except you shouldn't spend four hours a day this summer preparing for beer pong.

usna02

Postby usna02 » Tue May 25, 2010 11:17 pm

Background: USNA '02 (Chemistry)

Test Background: I was going to originally take the June 2010, but opted for October 2010 (didn't feel I was going to do my best in June)

Biggest Strength: Reading Comprehension

Biggest Weakness: Logic Games

Target: 170 or higher

Starting to study on: I plan to start cracking the books this week

Prep Books to be used: Powerscore Bibles--Logic Games and Logic Games; LSAC Official Super Prep; All old Official LSAT Prep Tests

DC_Sportsfan21

Postby DC_Sportsfan21 » Wed May 26, 2010 12:53 am

Background:
Just finished my first year of undergrad however im going to graduate a year early so I guess im a junior

Took my first ever practice lsat the other day, didn't do too hot 156 (cold 0 prep)

Plan on studying a good amount this summer, since im younger Im going to take the test when I am consistently scoring in the 170's, hopefully it will be by October but Febuary is a possibility hell maybe next June

Biggest Strength: Not sure have yet to really dig into the Lsat
Biggest Weakness: same as above

Target: 175+

luxxe

Postby luxxe » Wed May 26, 2010 1:47 am

background:
rising junior! i'll be studying abroad in the spring though, so october really is the best time for me to take the test. i have a 4.0 from a ttt state school right now & should be able to maintain that until i apply, so i am hoping to break 172/173 & get into HYSCCN. i'm also not doing anything this summer aside from studying + volunteering ~20 hours a week so i really don't have any excuse to not study enough to get the score i want.

i took a timed diagnostic & made a 157, but a huge portion of that was from logic games, which i have already DRASTICALLY improved on. i'll be using all the bibles + some logic books per the advice of the lsatblog which seem to be helping with both LR & RC. i'm also doing a slightly modified version of pithypike's plan - dividing up the sections/game types up to preptest 40. i'll be taking preptests 41-60 & superprep a, b, & c as full, timed tests.

Biggest Strength: LR
Biggest Weakness: LG

rheannabanana

Postby rheannabanana » Wed May 26, 2010 3:57 am

I've been lurking but I am about to really dig into my LSAT studying and application prep, so I figured I'd join in!

I'm scheduled to finish UG this winter (although I might drag it out until next spring) and hope to start law school Fall 2011. My current GPA is 3.98, although I did take a few community college classes over ten years ago and don't know what impact those will have until I get my transcripts. I took a long break between HS and UG and lived life so now it is nose to the grindstone for me!

I recently signed up for my first official LSAT practice test in June so we'll see how that goes.

From the few practice questions I've attempted so far, I can tell right off that the logic section is my biggest weakness - I am far too slow to finish the sections in the allotted time, so that will be my focus this summer.

Target score: 175+
I will probably be really cranky if I end up with a score below 170, but it is too early to tell how realistic that is for me.

shanamedika

Postby shanamedika » Wed May 26, 2010 3:18 pm

I'm here and SCARED!!!
I completed UG almost 10 years ago, graduated in 2001.
I have a Masters Degree in Public Health and graduated in 2004.
I have been working in Public Health since 2004 and was laid off from a position as a contractor at the Centers for Disease Control at the end of 2008. Since then I've been utilizing my degree and teaching online.
I plan on taking the October LSAT.
I have only taken practice tests and am shooting for T20 schools. My GPA from undergrad was 2.79 and Grad 3.65

WEAKNESS: LOGIC GAMES!!!
Target Score: 175/180

Studying now using Princeton Review Book and LG Bible as well as thinking about a Kaplan Course online (I teach for Kaplan so banking on a discount).

Cant wait to chat.

bug

Postby bug » Wed May 26, 2010 4:14 pm

Background:
Finished UG 05/10, but non-traditional student.
Took the LSAT in September and scored 151 after Princeton Review prep class (was scoring 155-158)
Applied 2010: 8 Wait Lists TT & TTT; 3 Denials TT; 1 offer at TTTT
Just purchased all PowerScore books and all official LSAT Prep Tests
Might retake Princeton Review prep class, but considering Kaplan and PowerScore

Biggest Weakness: Timing, finishing sections

Target: 180 (don’t laugh)

EnayWrote

Postby EnayWrote » Sun May 30, 2010 7:15 pm

Hello all :) Glad to find some like minded people here :D

Background: UG Completed May 2010 English/Spanish double major. Now working and volunteering and taking a break between undergrad and law school. I plan to start law school in Fall 2011.

Test Background: Free LSAC preptest on their website-scored a 154 :/ (timed myself accordingly). I had never ever seen any part of the LSAT before that test.
Biggest Strength:Reading Comprehension & Logic Games
Biggest Weakness: Logical Reasoning will be the death of me.....-12 and -14s .....sigh
Target: 172+ ....but we know I really want a 180! :lol:
Starting to study: Today
Prep Books to be used: Both Powerscore Bibles; All old Official LSAT Prep Tests. I may buy the LSAC Superprep or something else down the line..depends on how my scores are looking in August. All self study though.

Have a long way to go until the October LSAT. Hopefully I can go up by 20+ points from the preptest I took.

I wish all the best of luck!

Warren Harding

Postby Warren Harding » Sun May 30, 2010 7:26 pm

Entering my last year of UG this fall.

165 diagnostic

Biggest Strength: RC, LR

Biggest Weakness: LG

Target: 175+

I plan on going crazy with my studying from here on out.

TMT90

Postby TMT90 » Sun May 30, 2010 9:00 pm

Entering my junior year of UG this fall, planning on the October LSAT
I'm an Economics/Business major at UT-Austin
My cold diagnostic was 157 just a few days ago.
I ordered the LRB & LGB + Official PrepTest series today
Biggest Strength: RC (-3) then LR
Biggest Weakness: LG (-11)
So far today is my second consecutive day of morning-night LG practice. I am definitely noting some improvement, but I take forever and sometimes I end up guessing.
I have also signed up for the June 16th practice online LSAT proctored by Kaplan, so hopefully I see some notable improvement in that score.
Target: 167-169 will suffice, anything in the 170s+ will have me crying of joy mixed with maniacal laughter.

Campagnolo

Postby Campagnolo » Mon May 31, 2010 12:40 pm

Great, we have everyone's background. Now, let's get down to it!

I'm having trouble understanding grouping games. Do you guys use an Out Group as well as an In Group? That is, identify the variables that are selected and those that are not selected?

Thanks.

zephyr36

Postby zephyr36 » Mon May 31, 2010 3:20 pm

List your background and study techniques.
Background:
Finishing UG in the Fall
My GPA is good enough for T6, so I'm looking for a LSAT score that will hopefully match it.
Took a cold diag a few months ago and got a 155, so my work is cut out for me.

Biggest Weakness: Reading Comp

Target: 180 for now, but realistically I'm looking for 170-175

Who is with me??
I go to a school on the quarter system and we end on the 11th. I plan on starting immediately afterwards.

Strategy: Pithypike's method for now.

Canarsie

Postby Canarsie » Mon May 31, 2010 4:00 pm

Background:
Rising senior at a good private university. 3.38 GPA and I scored a 161 on the Kaplan practice test at my college.

Biggest Weakness: Don't remember... I lost the print-out from my practice :(

Target: 180 shoot for the stars! But 170+ and I'd be happy

Plan on starting to study now. Buying the LG and LR Bibles, and as many practice tests as I can. If I don't see more improvement I'll revamp it. Going to loosely follow the 4month schedule on the LSAT blog.

Return to “LSAT Prep and Discussion Forum”