October Test Takers Prep starts HERE

Non-Chalant1

Re: October Test Takers Prep starts HERE

Postby Non-Chalant1 » Fri Jun 25, 2010 8:40 pm

LSAT Blog wrote:
Non-Chalant1 wrote:Here's my question to you guys because it appears no one wants to answer me. I still want to get my applications out early and so it looks like I'll be applying before my LSAT score even comes in. How does that process work because someone advised me to do so? Does LSAC send my LSAT score later? What if they've already evaluated me?

I want to answer you...just didn't see your earlier post.

You can submit your apps before your LSAT score comes in.

If you have a previous LSAT score on record, *be sure to tell schools not to look at the applications until the new score comes in.*

The risk in this case is that the school might mistakenly look at the application with the prior LSAT score and rejected you without waiting to consider the newer score (even though you've told them - they're busy and stuff can get lost or forgotten). Once rejected in a cycle, that's it for the cycle.

If you have no previous score on record, your file wouldn't be complete until the LSAT score comes since they need to know your LSAT score before they evaluate your application. In this case, it woudn't be as big a concern.

All right, thanks a lot. How would I go about telling them not to evaluate me until the second score comes in?

TheTopBloke

Postby TheTopBloke » Fri Jun 25, 2010 8:41 pm

alphagamma wrote:
TheTopBloke wrote:I've got a good one for you that has even stumped a few philo profs I know.

PT #55 Sec 1 Q 25

-----------------------------
Some twentieth-century art is great art. All great art
involves original ideas, and any art that is not influential
cannot be great art.

Each of the following statements follows logically from the set of statements above EXCEPT:

a) some influential art involves original ideas.
b) some twentieth century art involves original ideas.
c) only art that involves original ideas is influential.
d) only art that is influential and involves original ideas is great.
e) some twentieth century art is influential and involves original ideas.
------------------------------

Everyone thought the correct answer was A, but according to LSAC it's C. Why? Does a Venn diagram help to resolve this question, or is it useless?

The question says that art that is not influential cannot be great art, which means that great art must be influential. However C says that influential art must be great art, which is the logical relationship flipped (or whatever you call it) and is wrong.

Ok, on that note, is answer A logically correct (and therefore the incorrect answer) because, seeing as ALL influential art involves original ideas, then it is logically correct to say SOME influential art involves original ideas?

LSAT Blog

Postby LSAT Blog » Fri Jun 25, 2010 8:44 pm

Rikkugrrl wrote:
LSAT Blog wrote:
Non-Chalant1 wrote:Here's my question to you guys because it appears no one wants to answer me. I still want to get my applications out early and so it looks like I'll be applying before my LSAT score even comes in. How does that process work because someone advised me to do so? Does LSAC send my LSAT score later? What if they've already evaluated me?

If you have a previous LSAT score on record, *be sure to tell schools not to look at the applications until the new score comes in.*

The risk in this case is that the school might mistakenly look at the application with the prior LSAT score and rejected you without waiting to consider the newer score (even though you've told them - they're busy and stuff can get lost or forgotten). Once rejected in a cycle, that's it for the cycle.

If you have no previous score on record, your file wouldn't be complete until the LSAT score comes since they need to know your LSAT score before they evaluate your application. In this case, it woudn't be as big a concern.

Good info, thanks. One more question along this line: which do you think would be a better idea, applying earlier without an LSAT score (I just have a cancel right now) or waiting a month or so for the score to come in after the October test? I always thought as long as they were out before Thanksgiving it would be okay, but if that'll hurt my apps I definitely will send them in earlier.

In that case, it doesn't really matter a whole lot.

If I were you, I'd make sure the everything else in the application is complete by the time LSAT scores are released (for the Oct exam, they'll probably come out Oct 29).

Law school admissions is conducted on a rolling basis. The earlier your application is complete, the better.

Non-Chalant1 wrote:All right, thanks a lot. How would I go about telling them not to evaluate me until the second score comes in?

A cancellation is not an LSAT score. They can't consider your application with only a cancellation, so don't worry about it.

cinefile 17

Postby cinefile 17 » Fri Jun 25, 2010 8:47 pm

LSAT Blog wrote:
cinefile 17 wrote:
alphagamma wrote:Anyway, the October-taker's club is totally going to be better than the June-takers club.

LOL Definitely!

Y'all should decide on a shared avatar theme. Like the Tiger Woods avatars from the September '09 exam (viewtopic.php?f=10&t=90293). (Before the scandal...)

Time moves on, and folks have changed their avatars since then, but you get the idea.

I'd be game.

Rikkugrrl

Postby Rikkugrrl » Fri Jun 25, 2010 8:54 pm

cinefile 17 wrote:
LSAT Blog wrote:
cinefile 17 wrote:
alphagamma wrote:Anyway, the October-taker's club is totally going to be better than the June-takers club.

LOL Definitely!

Y'all should decide on a shared avatar theme. Like the Tiger Woods avatars from the September '09 exam (viewtopic.php?f=10&t=90293). (Before the scandal...)

Time moves on, and folks have changed their avatars since then, but you get the idea.

I'd be game.

Me too! Extra points if the tar subject scandalizes himself/herself during the 2010-2011 cycle.

Non-Chalant1

Postby Non-Chalant1 » Fri Jun 25, 2010 8:58 pm

LSAT Blog wrote:
Rikkugrrl wrote:
LSAT Blog wrote:

Good info, thanks. One more question along this line: which do you think would be a better idea, applying earlier without an LSAT score (I just have a cancel right now) or waiting a month or so for the score to come in after the October test? I always thought as long as they were out before Thanksgiving it would be okay, but if that'll hurt my apps I definitely will send them in earlier.

In that case, it doesn't really matter a whole lot.

If I were you, I'd make sure the everything else in the application is complete by the time LSAT scores are released (for the Oct exam, they'll probably come out Oct 29).

Law school admissions is conducted on a rolling basis. The earlier your application is complete, the better.

Non-Chalant1 wrote:All right, thanks a lot. How would I go about telling them not to evaluate me until the second score comes in?

A cancellation is not an LSAT score. They can't consider your application with only a cancellation, so don't worry about it.

I didn't cancel, my score...I was under the impression that the LG that I saw first was the one that mattered. I was wrong. I got -2 on that and on the one that counted -13 or 14...I was just really flustered and as everyone on here can attest to....I just didn't believe that it could've between the one that counted....I almost wish it was first...I couldn't have convinced myself of such nonsense subconsciously. So I guess I should just wait until my score comes in on October 29th most likely and then hit the submit button. This is easily the worst testing day of my life....I've never retaken anything, but the SAT and I already had a good score...that was just to do it.

am060459

Postby am060459 » Fri Jun 25, 2010 9:00 pm

Took the LSAT in June 2010 and scored a 159

Biggest Strength: Logic Games

Biggest Weakness: Reading Comp/Logical Reasoning

Target: 160+ (hopefully 2 months of studying will result in more than a 1 point move upward)

Plan on studying August and September

here's to retaking

crossingforHYS

Postby crossingforHYS » Fri Jun 25, 2010 9:26 pm

timmna wrote:
crossingforHYS wrote:will be joining you all in october.
got a 165 shooting for a 170

+1 165, shooting for 170

are you applying with the 165 and then retaking? oh by the way...anyone know where uni of maryland is?

Patriot1208

Postby Patriot1208 » Fri Jun 25, 2010 9:28 pm

crossingforHYS wrote:
timmna wrote:

+1 165, shooting for 170

are you applying with the 165 and then retaking? oh by the way...anyone know where uni of maryland is?

college park

crossingforHYS

Postby crossingforHYS » Fri Jun 25, 2010 10:09 pm

Patriot1208 wrote:
crossingforHYS wrote:
timmna wrote:

+1 165, shooting for 170

college park

is it a nice place to take the lsat? I'm from LA and will be in DC for a semester and it was the only thing open...so

Patriot1208

Postby Patriot1208 » Fri Jun 25, 2010 10:12 pm

crossingforHYS wrote:
Patriot1208 wrote:
crossingforHYS wrote:
timmna wrote:
+1 165, shooting for 170

college park

is it a nice place to take the lsat? I'm from LA and will be in DC for a semester and it was the only thing open...so

Where in DC will you be? I have only ever been there once but it will probably be a bit of a commute for you depending on when your taking it and where you are staying. I've never been in a classroom there but I imagine it'll be some big lecture hall with seats and the little desk things that come out and fold up.

alphagamma

Postby alphagamma » Fri Jun 25, 2010 10:18 pm

TheTopBloke wrote:
alphagamma wrote:
TheTopBloke wrote:I've got a good one for you that has even stumped a few philo profs I know.

PT #55 Sec 1 Q 25

cannot be great art.

Each of the following statements follows logically from the set of statements above EXCEPT:

Everyone thought the correct answer was A, but according to LSAC it's C. Why? Does a Venn diagram help to resolve this question, or is it useless?

The question says that art that is not influential cannot be great art, which means that great art must be influential. However C says that influential art must be great art, which is the logical relationship flipped (or whatever you call it) and is wrong.

Ok, on that note, is answer A logically correct (and therefore the incorrect answer) because, seeing as ALL influential art involves original ideas, then it is logically correct to say SOME influential art involves original ideas?

We don't know if ALL influential art involves original ideas. We just know that all great art must be influential, and all great art involves original ideas. So, since there is at least one piece of great art (or else some 20th century art couldn't be great art), we know there it as least one piece of art which involves original ideas and is influential.

Does that make sense?

crossingforHYS

Postby crossingforHYS » Fri Jun 25, 2010 11:29 pm

is it a nice place to take the lsat? I'm from LA and will be in DC for a semester and it was the only thing open...so[/quote]

Where in DC will you be? I have only ever been there once but it will probably be a bit of a commute for you depending on when your taking it and where you are staying. I've never been in a classroom there but I imagine it'll be some big lecture hall with seats and the little desk things that come out and fold up.[/quote]
oh that wont be fun...I will be at american...everything closer was taken, I'll try to get on a waiting list maybe they will switch me..

lastch2

Postby lastch2 » Sat Jun 26, 2010 9:53 am

i am so glad i'm not the only one who joined this immediately after i got my june scores in (163 shooting for 170) :oops:
anyways, any ideas on what to do now? I feel like starting all over again is kind of a waste of time since my PT scores were mid 170's pretty consistently. I'm thinking just take a zillion practice tests??? anyone else in this boat??

Dany

Postby Dany » Sat Jun 26, 2010 12:45 pm

Hey guys! I just took the June LSAT, and thankfully will not be retaking in October, but I wanted to drop in and give you guys a piece of advice. After taking the June test, I STRONGLY recommend taking 5-section PTs. On the test, I missed a combined -3 on the first three sections... and -5 on the last section alone. After looking at the PDFs, I realized that I missed a couple on the last section that I probably shouldn't have. Now, some of this could just be that it was a tough section. Some of it could be game-day nerves. But I really think it was mostly due to fatigue, since I had never taken a test that long before. Now, I'm thrilled with my score, for sure, but I just thought I'd pass along something that I think would've helped me!

Good luck to you all! Work hard, but more importantly, work smart, and you'll kill it come October! :)

TheTopBloke

Postby TheTopBloke » Sun Jun 27, 2010 8:56 pm

alphagamma wrote:
TheTopBloke wrote:
alphagamma wrote:

PT #55 Sec 1 Q 25

cannot be great art.

We don't know if ALL influential art involves original ideas. We just know that all great art must be influential, and all great art involves original ideas. So, since there is at least one piece of great art (or else some 20th century art couldn't be great art), we know there it as least one piece of art which involves original ideas and is influential.

Does that make sense?

Yes that does make sense, however, how do we know there is at least one piece of great art which involved original ideas?

the argument states, "Some twentieth-century art is great art." So how do we make the leap to say that answer A "Some influential art involves original ideas"?

Am I getting caught up on the word 'involve'? I understand the negation of, Great Art --> Influential Art and NOT Influential Art ---> NOT Great Art. I suppose I'm just not seeing the connection that would allow us logically to conclude that "Some influential art involves original ideas".

TheTopBloke

Postby TheTopBloke » Sun Jun 27, 2010 9:02 pm

OK< maybe I just answered my own question.

Great Art ---> Involves original ideas

Does this 'logically follow' the argument? In that case then A would be logically correct? I know this might sound stupid but I just want to clarify what I've studied is accurate. Thanks.

LSAT Blog

Postby LSAT Blog » Sun Jun 27, 2010 9:09 pm

Yes, choice A logically follows. I went over this more on the previous page.

viewtopic.php?f=6&t=118414&start=125#p3143955

Visirale

Postby Visirale » Mon Jun 28, 2010 12:01 am

Just started my PowerScore virtual course today. Going to start intense studying too. I'm in and out of court most days for my job shadowing so this will keep me busy at night.

Summer of my senior year. Obviously I'm aiming for a 180 but I'd be happy if I could test consistently in the 170+ range. I'm pretty good at all standardized tests so I'm hoping this won't be an exception.

acadec

Postby acadec » Mon Jun 28, 2010 11:50 am

First -0 today, on PT 14. I'm stoked for October already.

coffeeonthepatio

Postby coffeeonthepatio » Mon Jun 28, 2010 11:58 am

Starting actually putting time into the test today! I procrastinated for June and didn't get much done at all, and ended up with a 161. While this is the median for my dream school (osu), I've decided (after thinking, and with the help of some on this board) that with my 3.9, a few more points (like 4ish) could put me in contention for scholly $! Since I didn't study much the first time around, I figure going through the bibles & taking more than 3 practice tests can only help!
Goodluck all!

boogie

Postby boogie » Wed Jun 30, 2010 2:42 pm

Another October test taker here.

I haven't done a diagnostic yet but will start studying for 4 hours per day as of Monday. I'm excited and terrified all at the same time. I have the Bibles and will use pithypike's plan for now.

Background: 10 years out of UG
Terrible UG grades from a foreign university but have GPA addendum prepared.
Currently completing my MBA
Need to ACE the LSAT to compensate for poor GPA so I'm aiming for 180.

hennenr

Postby hennenr » Wed Jun 30, 2010 3:43 pm

Can't get over the 162 hump. Aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaah.

carboy67

Postby carboy67 » Wed Jun 30, 2010 4:03 pm

Took the LSAT June 2010 and scored in the high 160's. Taking again and hoping to score high enough to get into UT, USC, or UCLA Law with ease.

Target: 176+

Grizz

Postby Grizz » Fri Jul 08, 2011 2:17 pm

Visirale wrote:Just started my PowerScore virtual course today. Going to start intense studying too. I'm in and out of court most days for my job shadowing so this will keep me busy at night.

Summer of my senior year. Obviously I'm aiming for a 180 but I'd be happy if I could test consistently in the 170+ range. I'm pretty good at all standardized tests so I'm hoping this won't be an exception.

Thought you already had a T14 level LSAT there bro

http://top-law-schools.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=111429&p=2724366#p2724366

Return to “LSAT Prep and Discussion Forum”