October Test Takers Prep starts HERE Forum

Prepare for the LSAT or discuss it with others in this forum.
glucose101

Bronze

Re: October Test Takers Prep starts HERE

Post by glucose101 » Tue Jun 15, 2010 7:44 pm

someone should seed the newer exams :lol:

CurlyKat

New

Post by CurlyKat » Tue Jun 15, 2010 8:58 pm

ashnicole wrote:
Scallywaggums wrote:
Dave wrote:Yea I downloaded every test 1-45 and explanations 1-56. Although I don't have tests 46-56.
Not the first to ask: where from?
There are preptests and other materials available as torrents on various websites on the internet. A viable option for some, perhaps, but keep in mind that it is illegal (same as music, movies, etc.).
Actually you can do it legally, too. Many PTs, sections and games are available to download from Cambridge LSAT, but it will cost you!

bookie

New

Post by bookie » Tue Jun 15, 2010 9:19 pm

Hi all,

I'm a junior undergrad at a private school. I want to get my LSAT in a bit early so I have ample time for internships/study abroad/travel/etc.

Signed up for Blueprint's online course this morning for the October LSAT. I've been reading TLS for the last 6 months, read a few books like the Ivey guide. Now it's my turn to do this. Making up a rough schedule tonight. Kind of excited :)

brickman

Bronze

Post by brickman » Thu Jun 24, 2010 9:49 am

for those who want to talk with other people prepping for the October LSAT via telephone please see:

http://www.top-law-schools.com/forums/v ... 6&t=121459

lastch2

Bronze

Post by lastch2 » Fri Jun 25, 2010 4:46 pm

Taking the lsat in october
shooting for 170+
highest PT so far is a 172, so here's hoping!

strongest so far is LG weakest LR definitely need to make my study plan and stick to it!

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

zplange11

New

Post by zplange11 » Fri Jun 25, 2010 5:21 pm

Alright,
Lost LSAT taker here. I was the first person in my immediate and extended family to take the LSAT this June. I did not study at all- I know, stupid. I merely signed up and showed up. I'll admit I didn't even know the format or types of questions. I took a logic class the semester before and that's it. My score came back today as a 151 48percentile. Not good. But being clueless and guinea pig of the family I feel this actually may be a good score considering.

First thoughts on my potential?
Second where do I start in studying. I'm going all in next time.

Please help, I spoke the honest truth and need some helppppp.

Thanks!

gdane

Diamond

Post by gdane » Fri Jun 25, 2010 7:19 pm

All right Oct LSAT whoo!!!! I cant wait! Bring it on!

ZPLANGE: No offense, but dumb move. Although I did the same thing on the SAT 5 years ago. I went in without studying and got a 1100, which isnt that bad, but couldve dont better. In any case, you have a little more than 3 months. I would highly recommend using PithyPike's guide. Its at the top if this forum. Also, take a look at LSATBlog's plan. All good stuff.

Good luck!

3|ink

Platinum

Post by 3|ink » Fri Jun 25, 2010 7:24 pm

Just signed up for October. Can't wait.

cinefile 17

Bronze

Post by cinefile 17 » Fri Jun 25, 2010 7:27 pm

Me to. My PT average before the June test was a 173/174. I scored a 169. Excited for October and ready to get back into it.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

crossingforHYS

Silver

Post by crossingforHYS » Fri Jun 25, 2010 7:29 pm

will be joining you all in october.
got a 165 shooting for a 170

Remnantofisrael

Bronze

Post by Remnantofisrael » Fri Jun 25, 2010 7:33 pm

I'm with you all. Registered right when I saw my score. I PT'd between 0-4 questions missed each test. On the actual June 10, however, I Fscked up my bubbling on LG and realized it with about 2 minutes left, had to break off to fix it, sped through my last questions, realized with 30 seconds left I answered #23 in the #24 bubble, and had to GUESS where I screwed up my FIX.

Long story short, now I know it cost be 5 on LG, and who the hell knows on the following two scored sections because I was so screwed up in my brain from the whole ordeal, I couldn't even focus. THANK GOD my section 3 (right after my LG) was exp. because I don't even remember it that is how shitty I felt.

Compound this with the fact that I was in a non-air-conditioned room with open windows with dudes outside mowing the lawn, and it was possibly the worst experience of my life, or maybe just below kidney stones.

Anyway, I got a 170, but I'm really aiming for a 178+ and I believe I can do it with that test experience under my belt. Good luck to all!

JcM_LAW

New

Post by JcM_LAW » Fri Jun 25, 2010 7:39 pm

in... 159 in june, considered drinking bleach but decided instead to prep for october

timmna

Silver

Post by timmna » Fri Jun 25, 2010 7:44 pm

crossingforHYS wrote:will be joining you all in october.
got a 165 shooting for a 170
+1 165, shooting for 170

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

Non-Chalant1

Silver

Post by Non-Chalant1 » Fri Jun 25, 2010 7:55 pm

Here's my question to you guys because it appears no one wants to answer me. I still want to get my applications out early and so it looks like I'll be applying before my LSAT score even comes in. How does that process work because someone advised me to do so? Does LSAC send my LSAT score later? What if they've already evaluated me?

LSAT Blog

Silver

Post by LSAT Blog » Fri Jun 25, 2010 8:13 pm

Non-Chalant1 wrote:Here's my question to you guys because it appears no one wants to answer me. I still want to get my applications out early and so it looks like I'll be applying before my LSAT score even comes in. How does that process work because someone advised me to do so? Does LSAC send my LSAT score later? What if they've already evaluated me?
I want to answer you...just didn't see your earlier post.

You can submit your apps before your LSAT score comes in.

If you have a previous LSAT score on record, *be sure to tell schools not to look at the applications until the new score comes in.*

The risk in this case is that the school might mistakenly look at the application with the prior LSAT score and rejected you without waiting to consider the newer score (even though you've told them - they're busy and stuff can get lost or forgotten). Once rejected in a cycle, that's it for the cycle.

If you have no previous score on record, your file wouldn't be complete until the LSAT score comes since they need to know your LSAT score before they evaluate your application. In this case, it woudn't be as big a concern.

gdane

Diamond

Post by gdane » Fri Jun 25, 2010 8:15 pm

Law schools will get your new score and evaluate you from there. If you want you can get everything ready (PS, DS, Addendum if nec., transcripts, etc) and the second you get your LSAT score you can hit submit application. I reckon we'll get our Oct LSAT scores at the latest the first week of Nov.

alphagamma

Bronze

Post by alphagamma » Fri Jun 25, 2010 8:18 pm

Signed up for the October earlier today (after I got my score--UGH). There goes my summer...

Anyway, the October-taker's club is totally going to be better than the June-takers club.

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

Rudy

New

Post by Rudy » Fri Jun 25, 2010 8:18 pm

Signed up to retake in October- a 168 might get me in to the bottom of T14, but I want UPenn, and I know I can do better.

Banzai!

All I'm gonna bother with is drilling games till I can do all types in my sleep backwards.

cinefile 17

Bronze

Post by cinefile 17 » Fri Jun 25, 2010 8:21 pm

alphagamma wrote:Anyway, the October-taker's club is totally going to be better than the June-takers club.

LOL Definitely!

TheTopBloke

Bronze

Post by TheTopBloke » Fri Jun 25, 2010 8:24 pm

I've got a good one for you that has even stumped a few philo profs I know.

PT #55 Sec 1 Q 25

-----------------------------
Some twentieth-century art is great art. All great art
involves original ideas, and any art that is not influential
cannot be great art.

Each of the following statements follows logically from the set of statements above EXCEPT:

a) some influential art involves original ideas.
b) some twentieth century art involves original ideas.
c) only art that involves original ideas is influential.
d) only art that is influential and involves original ideas is great.
e) some twentieth century art is influential and involves original ideas.
------------------------------

Everyone thought the correct answer was A, but according to LSAC it's C. Why? Does a Venn diagram help to resolve this question, or is it useless?

LSAT Blog

Silver

Post by LSAT Blog » Fri Jun 25, 2010 8:25 pm

cinefile 17 wrote:
alphagamma wrote:Anyway, the October-taker's club is totally going to be better than the June-takers club.

LOL Definitely!
Y'all should decide on a shared avatar theme. Like the Tiger Woods avatars from the September '09 exam (http://www.top-law-schools.com/forums/v ... 10&t=90293). (Before the scandal...)

Time moves on, and folks have changed their avatars since then, but you get the idea.

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

alphagamma

Bronze

Post by alphagamma » Fri Jun 25, 2010 8:27 pm

TheTopBloke wrote:I've got a good one for you that has even stumped a few philo profs I know.

PT #55 Sec 1 Q 25

-----------------------------
Some twentieth-century art is great art. All great art
involves original ideas, and any art that is not influential
cannot be great art.

Each of the following statements follows logically from the set of statements above EXCEPT:

a) some influential art involves original ideas.
b) some twentieth century art involves original ideas.
c) only art that involves original ideas is influential.
d) only art that is influential and involves original ideas is great.
e) some twentieth century art is influential and involves original ideas.
------------------------------

Everyone thought the correct answer was A, but according to LSAC it's C. Why? Does a Venn diagram help to resolve this question, or is it useless?
The question says that art that is not influential cannot be great art, which means that great art must be influential. However C says that influential art must be great art, which is the logical relationship flipped (or whatever you call it) and is wrong.

Rikkugrrl

Bronze

Post by Rikkugrrl » Fri Jun 25, 2010 8:30 pm

LSAT Blog wrote:
Non-Chalant1 wrote:Here's my question to you guys because it appears no one wants to answer me. I still want to get my applications out early and so it looks like I'll be applying before my LSAT score even comes in. How does that process work because someone advised me to do so? Does LSAC send my LSAT score later? What if they've already evaluated me?
I want to answer you...just didn't see your earlier post.

You can submit your apps before your LSAT score comes in.

If you have a previous LSAT score on record, *be sure to tell schools not to look at the applications until the new score comes in.*

The risk in this case is that the school might mistakenly look at the application with the prior LSAT score and rejected you without waiting to consider the newer score (even though you've told them - they're busy and stuff can get lost or forgotten). Once rejected in a cycle, that's it for the cycle.

If you have no previous score on record, your file wouldn't be complete until the LSAT score comes since they need to know your LSAT score before they evaluate your application. In this case, it woudn't be as big a concern.
Good info, thanks. One more question along this line: which do you think would be a better idea, applying earlier without an LSAT score (I just have a cancel right now) or waiting a month or so for the score to come in after the October test? I always thought as long as they were out before Thanksgiving it would be okay, but if that'll hurt my apps I definitely will send them in earlier.

deathviaboredom

Bronze

Post by deathviaboredom » Fri Jun 25, 2010 8:31 pm

edited

LSAT Blog

Silver

Post by LSAT Blog » Fri Jun 25, 2010 8:33 pm

Should probably start a separate thread for Qs from recent exams. You don't want to spoil newer PTs for anyone.

Also, the mods don't like it when you post the text of questions. LSAC doesn't like it either (that's probably why the mods don't like it.)

The following is an explanation for choices A, B, and C of PT55, Sec 1, Q25. Skip the rest of this post if you want to save that question for later in your prep.

The answer is not A because we KNOW that great art exists since at least some 20th century art is great art. Therefore, there must be some overlap between influential art and art with original ideas.

The answer is not B because my chain (below), which is formed by connecting pieces of the stimulus, creates a conditional relationship between 20th century art and original ideas.

The answer is C because the stimulus does not give us any conditional relationship between "influential" and "original ideas." All we know about them is that they're both necessary conditions for great art.

............................................-> Influential
Some 20th cent art -> G Art -> Original ideas

The above is the diagram I use for this question. I don't believe a Venn diagram is useful.

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “LSAT Prep and Discussion Forum”