Working through LR Bible this close to June LSAT?

UFmark

Working through LR Bible this close to June LSAT?

Postby UFmark » Sun May 23, 2010 8:03 pm

Alright, so this is my predicament...I began studying for the June LSAT a little late (beginning in mid April), and have not yet worked through all of my study material!!! All I have done for preparation thus far is work through the LG bible and take a few PT's. The LG bible has effectively aided me in consistently missing only 0-2 questions in LG, an improvement from my diagnostic where I missed 5!

I scored a 161 on my diagnostic and have since increased to the 167-169 area. However, my score did not gradually increase, but simply jumped up to this region as a result of missing little to none in the LG section while my LR/RC misses have remained the same. I consistently miss ~8-11 questions in total in LR. Although I am relatively happy with consistently scoring in the high 160's, I feel that an obvious improvement can be made in LR to push me into the 170s. However, do you believe that working through the LR bible could possibly throw me off in LR this close to the test date? I do not want to work through the bible without enough time to practice the actual concepts and in turn score lower attempting to partially apply the concepts outlined.

Ultimately, I would like an opinion on whether or not I should attempt to work through the LR Bible or simply rely on my own reasoning abilities for this LSAT?

Thanks in advance!

PS: I just worked through a PT so please excuse any unintelligible sentences or poor grammar, my mind is fried.

Sandro

Re: Working through LR Bible this close to June LSAT?

Postby Sandro » Sun May 23, 2010 10:55 pm

if you are that good at LG and not terrible at RC there is no reason to take the LSAT when you are missing 8-11 on LR, especially not having done the LR bible. With the LR bible and some extensive PT review and tracking of missed question types you should improve a lot... atleast in my case I did. Went from missing 15 on Sep 09 LSAT to now averaging -2 per LR section. Had my first perfect LR section the other day (-3 on the other one). I've also only done about 5 or 6 full LR sections and have increased a lot from writing out each answer why it was wrong/right. I can only imagine how much more my LR will improve with the other 20+ PTs I have left to do...

Thats my opinion.

UFmark

Postby UFmark » Mon May 24, 2010 1:28 am

Sandro777 wrote:if you are that good at LG and not terrible at RC there is no reason to take the LSAT when you are missing 8-11 on LR, especially not having done the LR bible. With the LR bible and some extensive PT review and tracking of missed question types you should improve a lot... atleast in my case I did. Went from missing 15 on Sep 09 LSAT to now averaging -2 per LR section. Had my first perfect LR section the other day (-3 on the other one). I've also only done about 5 or 6 full LR sections and have increased a lot from writing out each answer why it was wrong/right. I can only imagine how much more my LR will improve with the other 20+ PTs I have left to do...

Thats my opinion.

I will be taking the LSAT on June 7th, so postponing is not an option.

I would just like to know if working the LR bible with 2 weeks left is pointless. I have all the time in the world to focus on my LSAT studies coming up to test day.

cubswin

Postby cubswin » Mon May 24, 2010 1:34 am

It is worth doing. Obviously, you can't do a lot of drills to make what they teach you second nature, but doing all the examples in the book and reading the explanations really helped me. I did the entire LRB about 2 weeks prior to taking the LSAT. I was usually getting 4 or 5 wrong per LR section and ended up getting -2 in each section on test day.

UFmark

Postby UFmark » Mon May 24, 2010 1:38 am

cubswin wrote:It is worth doing. Obviously, you can't do a lot of drills to make what they teach you second nature, but doing all the examples in the book and reading the explanations really helped me. I did the entire LRB about 2 weeks prior to taking the LSAT. I was usually getting 4 or 5 wrong per LR section and ended up getting -2 in each section on test day.

This was the type of answer I was looking for.

Obviously the more and more drilling and practicing the better off you are, but I just do not have the time at this point. However, I would have ample time to work through the LR bible and still do at least 5 more PT's with my new knowledge.

WWAD

Postby WWAD » Mon May 24, 2010 4:15 am

There are some great sections on right and wrong answers and tips, but you will have to cruse through it. I am going back through it now. I think it can help, but make notes to remind you where the good stuff is. Skip the drills, take more tests, but get the book, and good luck.

Sandro

Postby Sandro » Mon May 24, 2010 10:25 am

if you have 2 weeks try and pick out some of the chapters you are weakest in. the long chapter on formal logic might not be as much help as say, how to attack assumption questions or flaw questions.

cavebat2000

Postby cavebat2000 » Mon May 24, 2010 10:40 am

you know you can cancel and retake, right?

UFmark

Postby UFmark » Mon May 24, 2010 6:57 pm

Sandro777 wrote:if you have 2 weeks try and pick out some of the chapters you are weakest in. the long chapter on formal logic might not be as much help as say, how to attack assumption questions or flaw questions.

This sounds like a good plan, I'll be working through some of the LR Bible tonight and let you guys know how it goes!

cavebat2000 wrote:you know you can cancel and retake, right?

And thanks cavebat...but I've been PT'ing in the upper 160 range so unless I feel like I bombed it I don't see myself canceling a possible 168-170, which I would be more then pleased with.

I plan on returning to UF for their tax law program and practicing in Florida. I do not need a 176 on this test like some of you t-14 hopefuls.

bartleby

Postby bartleby » Mon May 24, 2010 9:59 pm

I think two weeks is enough. Just read the summaries to must be true, main point, evaluate, parallel reasoning, weaken, method of reasoning.

Read and drill conditional reasoning, causal reasoning, strengthen/justify/assumption, and numbers.

Return to “LSAT Prep and Discussion Forum”