Test day score drop

maxm2764

Test day score drop

Postby maxm2764 » Sun May 23, 2010 2:52 pm

I've been looking through the forum and it seems that many people see a drop in their score on the actual day of the test. It seems that test day jitters are the main contributor to this and I'm really hoping that I don't experience the drop off I've heard so much about since I'm PTing around 158-162.I know there's no concrete answer, but what do you guys think is the best way to stop or limit this game day drop in score?

DaveBear07

Re: Test day score drop

Postby DaveBear07 » Sun May 23, 2010 2:58 pm

For me I'm going to concentrate on the psychological aspects of it and make sure that I'm insanely pumped and focused and ready to go all out and perform flawlessly for 5 sections.

Other than making sure of that, I've been taking 5 sections under timed bubbled conditions with a wrist watch to not only get better but to make sure that I'm prepared for how the conditions are certainly going to be.

But yeah, it's mostly going to be mental for me.

theavrock

Postby theavrock » Sun May 23, 2010 3:18 pm

I experienced the test day drop in June of 2009. I missed my PT average by 8 points.

I chalk most of this up to not prepping the way I should have. I didn't use a scantron, didn't take 5 length tests. I practiced in the same place every time (my desk in my apartment). I used a digital timer on my comp as opposed to the analog one I would be using on test day. All in all the tests I was taking were not representative of what I would face on the real thing and hence my scores were not near my PT's. I just didn't prepare correctly.

I do think nerves had a little something to do with it, but had I prepared more accurately I feel that nerves would have been mitigated.

This time around I have been trying to simulate the testing conditions as much as possible. Adding a 5th section, analog watch, public locales and different locations, scantron etc. I'll have to report back if this prepares me better. The first time around I thought I was a special flower who wouldn't be subject to the drop but it definitely hit me.

WWAD

Postby WWAD » Sun May 23, 2010 3:38 pm

Remember that the lowest PT score is more accurate. I dropped 3 points from my PT scores and what got me on test day was all the filling stuff out right before the test. So this time when i take bubble sheet tests I am even writing out the statement. Remember too not to even give yourself an extra few seconds to fill out a bubble. When that 5 min warning comes on LG and RC it changes everything if you are not already doing that last game or reading. I am starting to use a timer for my first 30 min so when it goes off I know I have to use my watch and I get the real effect of a 5 min warning. On test day you need to have blinders on too. Complete focus. I have found that getting through the reading comp without worrying about the tough questions, just keep moving, helps a lot. You are likely to run out of time and not get to easier questions if you worry about the tough ones. Test day conditions as often as you can is all you can to to make sure there is no drop off.

maxm2764

Postby maxm2764 » Sun May 23, 2010 3:51 pm

Wow, thanks for the advice everyone. I've definitely been simulating testing conditions to the best of my ability (5 sections, 5 minute warning, different venue, etc.) so as to make it as realistic as possible. I am also hoping that the adrenaline of that day will get me that little extra kick to help me focus as well as I can. Please, if there are more suggestions keep them coming, I am trying to gather as much of the advice as I can.

pilawpcv

Postby pilawpcv » Sun May 23, 2010 10:36 pm

I often studied for my 2nd LSAT in a busy coffee shop with people always shouting this or that about lattes. When I go to test day, it felt so nice and quiet to me. Afterwards, my friend who had taken it in the same room was really upset about a noisy sniffler. I hadn't noticed.

Make your test conditions worse than you think they'll be (tiny desk, noisy environment, section ending early). Then on test day you'll be pleasantly surprised.

NoleinNY

Postby NoleinNY » Sun May 23, 2010 10:49 pm

maxm2764 wrote:I've been looking through the forum and it seems that many people see a drop in their score on the actual day of the test. It seems that test day jitters are the main contributor to this and I'm really hoping that I don't experience the drop off I've heard so much about since I'm PTing around 158-162.I know there's no concrete answer, but what do you guys think is the best way to stop or limit this game day drop in score?

Try to get 8 hours of sleep the night before (somewhere quite and comfortable). Eat a decent meal an hour before and something to perk you up (avoid the temptation of the 20oz coffee). Review a few questions about 2-3 hours before. Bring a bagel for the break. Breath, relax. Tell yourself you are GOING to get, say, a 164. If you are inclined toward it, pray.

Maddie

Postby Maddie » Sun May 23, 2010 11:05 pm

+1 to everything that has been said above.
In addition for the final 2 weeks I am doing 6 section tests with 2 RC sections in a row. I experianced a drop in Dec. when I had RC for my third section and got back after the break to see another RC. I was completely unprepared for it. As for the 6 sections I read on the "how to get over 160" thread someone who had gotten a 180 multiple times on the LSAT said that was the best advice they received. I figure this is another way to make my practice much harder than the actual exam.
Also don't even think about the test day drop. Put it out of your mind because the only people that will see a drop are the ones who didn't prepare as well as we have. If I knew about this website before taking the test for the first time I wouldn't have seen any drop. I actually wouldn't have taken the exam because I would have known how underprepared I was.

Mickey Quicknumbers

Postby Mickey Quicknumbers » Mon May 24, 2010 12:00 am

For me, taking the test twice was helpful (though probably not the best advice you were looking for), because there was no fear of the unknown the second time around. But, I went from dropping 8 points below my test average to dropping 4 points the second time sooooo.

bartleby

Postby bartleby » Mon May 24, 2010 12:51 am

I think giving yourself 34 minutes per section for a bit could be helpful. You never know when the proctor is going to hit the button on the timer. Test day time moves by so much faster than it does when you are sitting at your desk in your room.

kalvano

Postby kalvano » Mon May 24, 2010 12:54 am

My score was higher on test day.

Just do lots of PT's and get used to the test. Then it won't seem so nerve-wracking. It will be more like "Oh, I know how to do this."

entrechatsix

Postby entrechatsix » Mon May 24, 2010 2:55 am

there's a lot of great advice in this thread! i also experienced a drop (just 2 points, but still a drop) from my average. i got nervous/jittery. looking back, i think that something i could have focused on ahead of time was to write out/spend more time thinking about a timing game plan. for the first three sections, i spent way too much time (aka more than usual for me) on the first half of the section. i think that if i would have articulated my pacing strategy (or just stuck to what i usually did) i would have done a little better because i would have known when to move on.

hope this helps someone, good luck to everyone!

maxm2764

Postby maxm2764 » Mon May 24, 2010 8:07 am

Wow this thread is awesome! I've definitely been trying to use some of all these strategies since I began studying in January so I hope that it'll help me be prepared as I can be. This forum might be the best studying tool that I have had during this entire process with all the advice and hints that people have. Although my score isn't as stellar as some people on the forum, I've worked my tail off going from a 148 diagnostic to a 163 as my high PT so I'm just going to try and find some solace in that fact to help my mental stability on test day. Thanks again for the responses, keep them coming!

Here's to that 164 and to everyone achieving their goal score on test day.

Return to “LSAT Prep and Discussion Forum”