Short rant - Advice would be appreciated Forum

Prepare for the LSAT or discuss it with others in this forum.
iwanta170

Bronze

Short rant - Advice would be appreciated

Post by iwanta170 » Sat May 22, 2010 6:01 pm

Two things

1) I took yesterday off to relax and today I took the September 2009 practice test. I could not focus for some reason and felt out of it. I just didn't have the energy I usually have. I was even having problems understanding answer choices because of this lack of focus. My brain was just unwilling to wrap itself around ideas that would usually not seem so hard. I don't know how to explain this because I was definitely relaxed and well-rested. Maybe it's because I didn't do any warmup questions? I do them sometimes before practice tests, but not always.

Also, usually I play "The final countdown" 10 minutes before I start a test and it gets me semi-pumped. I didn't do that today and I started the test in a lethargic mood. Could this be the reason?

Anyway I got a 163 which is a good score but it's a significant decrease from my last few scores so I was very disappointed. What could explain this drop?

2) I am averaging 1-3 problems wrong on logical reasoning, which I am content with, but I am mostly missing problems between 4 and 9! What could be the reason for why I am missing the ones that are supposed to be easy and nailing the ones that are supposed to be difficult???

TCScrutinizer

Bronze

Re: Short rant - Advice would be appreciated

Post by TCScrutinizer » Sat May 22, 2010 6:27 pm

iwanta170 wrote:Two things
Also, usually I play "The final countdown" 10 minutes before I start a test and it gets me semi-pumped. I didn't do that today and I started the test in a lethargic mood. Could this be the reason?
yes

iwanta170

Bronze

Post by iwanta170 » Sat May 22, 2010 6:28 pm

TCScrutinizer wrote:
yes
do you do something similar and notice it helps?

TCScrutinizer

Bronze

Post by TCScrutinizer » Sat May 22, 2010 6:31 pm

iwanta170 wrote:
TCScrutinizer wrote:
yes
do you do something similar and notice it helps?
It's probable that your lethargic mood was responsible for you not bothering to listen, not the other way around.

I'd chalk it up to a bad day and just keep testing. There are outliers in every data set.

TCScrutinizer

Bronze

Post by TCScrutinizer » Sat May 22, 2010 6:32 pm

Also, if you consistently find yourself missing questions earlier in the section, then I think you clearly benefit from a bit of "rev-up." Rather than listening to Europe, try reading a WSJ article or doing a set of logic games before sitting down to do the test. More to the point, try to finish your LR section with a few minutes to spare so you can review the first 10 or so questions before time expires.

iwanta170

Bronze

Post by iwanta170 » Sat May 22, 2010 6:39 pm

TCScrutinizer wrote:It's probable that your lethargic mood was responsible for you not bothering to listen, not the other way around.

I'd chalk it up to a bad day and just keep testing. There are outliers in every data set.
You're probably right. I don't know why I was lethargic though. I definitely didn't intend to be for this particular test. I wanted to own this one.
TCScrutinizer wrote:Also, if you consistently find yourself missing questions earlier in the section, then I think you clearly benefit from a bit of "rev-up." Rather than listening to Europe, try reading a WSJ article or doing a set of logic games before sitting down to do the test. More to the point, try to finish your LR section with a few minutes to spare so you can review the first 10 or so questions before time expires.
Perhaps I should've done some warmup. I always try to get through a LR section as fast as I can. Sometimes I get through it with a few minutes to spare and other times I stumble on a problem or two between 4-9 and take longer than i should (which are ultimately the problem(s) i get wrong so not only do they kill time but the time is wasted for nothing) and when that happens i barely finish on time.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Return to “LSAT Prep and Discussion Forum”