PT 46 ... Section 2 ... Question 20

ReadingNation

PT 46 ... Section 2 ... Question 20

Postby ReadingNation » Sat May 22, 2010 11:33 am

Can someone explain question 20, section 2 pt 46 to me?

For starters, what is the second error?

More importantly, what is the difference between B) and D) in relation to the stimulus?

I originally choose E) as my correct answer ...

Thank you ...

malfurion

Re: PT 46 ... Section 2 ... Question 20

Postby malfurion » Sat May 22, 2010 11:41 am

The flaws are 1) just because something has a certain quality doesn't mean that its individual components have that same quality, and 2) inferring an absolute statement from a relative statement.

Answer (B) does both of these. (D) only does the second.

ReadingNation

Postby ReadingNation » Sat May 22, 2010 12:59 pm

Hey Malfurion,

thanks for responding ... I saw the first error but unfortunately I still can't see the second ... Let me explain were I coming from so hopefully you're better able to help me out ...

let's call Professor D's exam (the whole) "A" and the questions (the components) on those exams "B" ... I understand that "B is C" is unwarranted if all you have to go on is "A is C" ... I get that ... However, what I don't see is the 'relative aspect' ... I understand that the first sentence is making a relative comparison of Professor D's and Professor C's exams but I don't see how it relates to the conclusion .... Hopefully you can understand me if not I'm lost on this but nevertheless, thank you for your help

ReadingNation

Postby ReadingNation » Sat May 22, 2010 4:12 pm

Rotfl ...

Nevermind Malfurion ... I get it know .... I don't know why the hell I didn't get it but I just glad it's obvious right now : )

For any unfortunate soul who will have the same difficulty sometime in the future below is Malfurion's second statement fleshed out ...

Idiocy 102 is harder than Idiocy 101 but I'd be hard press to defend anything about Idiocy 102 as hard

malfurion

Postby malfurion » Sat May 22, 2010 6:25 pm

Yeah, you got it. All we know is that one is more difficult than the other, but who knows, they might be the 2 easiest of them all, so we can't make any claims about whether or not they are difficult in general.

Return to “LSAT Prep and Discussion Forum”