GPA Variance

GPA Variance

Postby signature17 » Fri May 21, 2010 11:04 pm

How much do law schools take into account GPA variation in schools?

I'm a biochemistry major @ USC and my GPA is around 3.2... well below average for most of the law schools I am considering. I feel this is a pretty decent GPA for my major since everything is curved. Outside of the heavy sciences (writing, etc) I have closer to a 4.0.

How do schools take this variation into account? Are law schools really aware of how much more difficult a B.S. is from a B.A.?

...Obviously LSAT scores will play a role, but is there any other way law schools standardize students undergrad GPA?

Re: GPA Variance

Postby trojan » Sat May 22, 2010 2:55 am

From what I've heard, they don't really take course rigor into account too much.
That being said, they still have to take it into account to an extent in order for there to be diversity in undergrad majors entering law school. Theres no real way to know for sure, but be confident that it will probably give you a small boost above a candidate with the same gpa.

Maybe add some courses to pad your gpa and make sure to KILL the LSAT and you should be fine.

Fight On!

Return to “LSAT Prep and Discussion Forum”