Reading Style

Megablix

Reading Style

Postby Megablix » Fri May 21, 2010 1:01 pm

I am a very auditory learner and reading comprehension has always been a bit tougher for me, which is not to say that I do not understand what I read just that I tend to miss important details on occasion. I was wondering if anyone had strategies for RC or LR that help them conceptualize the argument as they read.

bartleby

Re: Reading Style

Postby bartleby » Fri May 21, 2010 2:21 pm

Powerscore and other strategies like Voyager's or LSATBlog's are helpful but I think the best way to get acquainted with the language and the arguments is to just do a ton of problems. A crap ton of problems. Then review.

halfwaygone

Postby halfwaygone » Sun May 23, 2010 8:24 am

For RC:

Do you have a good reading "voice"? That is, when you read, is there a voice literally reading the passage to you and another voice interacting with it, analyzing the text? You mentioned you're an auditory learner, and this is a common reading issue for you that's affecting your RC. So, it might not be JUST an LSAT issue. You might need to become a better reader.

I took a few graduate classes in Reading Education to get certified (been teaching abroad before I start LS in 2011) and, honestly, my RC has improved a lot by learning how to teach reading. I was already a good reader, but I became a great reader and I'm sure that helped my LSAT score. Anyway, "reading voice" is a common issue a lot of people have. I never even thought about it before reading Chris Tovani's books (probably not a good use of your time if you're cramming, though). I'm an auditory learner, too, but I "hear" what I read now.

For LR:

The issue is more seeing the patterns than reading. It shouldn't matter whether you're an auditory learner, as the passages are so short. What matters is your grasp of conditions and phrasing. A lot of that is just practice, practice, practice, with a thorough review of your wrong answers AND your right answers.

Megablix

Postby Megablix » Mon May 24, 2010 1:39 pm

I do have a reading voice in my head as I read, but it seems that I do not explicitly analyze as I read, more of just getting a feel of that passage as I read.

Return to “LSAT Prep and Discussion Forum”