Tell me how you review your mistakes on LR!

roranoa

Tell me how you review your mistakes on LR!

Postby roranoa » Fri May 21, 2010 11:47 am

I've read various "How to...." threads on study methods
but none of them are really really specific on how to review mistakes.

Maybe it's because it's just different for everyone but,

Can you share with me what you guys do for LR review after PT's?

I mean, I need a strict guideline that I can always follow during review sessions.

For example, like....first do this, then do that kind of guideline

Help please?

TUP

Re: Tell me how you review your mistakes on LR!

Postby TUP » Fri May 21, 2010 11:57 am

Understand why your choice is wrong and why the correct answer is right ... The other 3 are almost always obviously wrong, so that review is quick. If you're struggling with understanding the "why" maybe write out a couple sentences of explanation for the most challenging questions.

As far as review methodology, what more are you looking for?

jjlaw

Postby jjlaw » Fri May 21, 2010 12:28 pm

Pick out patterns in the stimuli and try to predict what kind of question you'll be asked. Then try to predict the answer choices (or prephrase).

d34d9823

Postby d34d9823 » Fri May 21, 2010 12:31 pm

TUP wrote:Understand why your choice is wrong and why the correct answer is right ... The other 3 are almost always obviously wrong, so that review is quick. If you're struggling with understanding the "why" maybe write out a couple sentences of explanation for the most challenging questions.

As far as review methodology, what more are you looking for?

TITCR. A lot of times for me it's the "most" or "always" in the answer that I paraphrased in my head as "more" or "most of the time".

roranoa

Postby roranoa » Sat May 22, 2010 2:29 am

bump (for more opinions)

srpaik

Postby srpaik » Sat May 22, 2010 2:44 am

roranoa wrote:I've read various "How to...." threads on study methods
but none of them are really really specific on how to review mistakes.

Maybe it's because it's just different for everyone but,

Can you share with me what you guys do for LR review after PT's?

I mean, I need a strict guideline that I can always follow during review sessions.

For example, like....first do this, then do that kind of guideline

Help please?

Just go over each answer choice, and see why the answer choice is right, and why other ones are wrong. Also what I found helpful was that I treat everyday stuff as LSAT question.

For example, if you google "No Transpassing" you'll see a sign that says "No transpassing: Violators will be shot. Survivors will be shot again." From this, I try to find any flaws, assumptions, or to strengthen or weaken the argument. In this case, I could say that the assumption is that whoever transpasses will be caught and that will lead to being shot. So if I don't get caught, I won't get shot. Try finding contrapositive to that and so on... goes forever.

Guess LSAT has taken over my brain. I'm always asking "what if..." to everything that I do, see or hear. While driving, i know that I'll be fined if I ignore the red lights, but I ask "What if... (i don't get caught?)"

afa_brandon

Postby afa_brandon » Sat May 22, 2010 9:19 am

how i do it:

1. don't indicate the correct answer in your test booklet, just mark the question as wrong
2. wait a few hours after you take the test
3. go back to the question(s) you got wrong.
4. read the stim and Q... prephrase the answer as though you were going at it the first time.
5. select a new answer (obviously it won't be the same you selected last time)
6. say OUTLOUD why this answer is superior to your last answer. if you don't say it outloud, you might be tricking yourself into thinking you're giving this step the proper respect. this is important.
7. check your new answer. if it's wrong, go to the right answer, and speak outloud why it's right, but, more importantly, speak outloud what the difference is between that and the others.

ex:

PT 50, section 4 #19

I got this one wrong, i selected "E"

i prephrase something like "there is no or a negative correlation between caffeine and heart disease"

thus, i select "A," which is the correct answer.

Now, i compare A and E.

E - my first time through, i thought this weakened the argument because it cast doubt on a causal link between the two factors by alluding to the existence of a common cause. in hindsight, i realize that the conclusion is only a correlation, and a common cause is not mutually exclusive with a correlation. even absent that explanation, it only alludes to the fact that there might not be a link, which isn't a very strong "weaken" answer.

A - i don't know how i eliminated this one the first time through, probably reading too quickly. This says that there is a NEGATIVE correlation between the two, which is the straight opposite of the conclusion AND in line with my prephrase.

Now i understand where I made the mistake, and I resolve to, in the future, read more closely and focus on the classic cause/correlation confusion.

i went from missing 3-4 per section of LR to missing 0-2, so hopefully this method is helpful!

ps - also, circle the ones where you weren't sure if you had the correct answer. if you got it right, still address it much as you would if you got it wrong, except focus on articulating the difference between the correct answer and the other answer(s) you were convinced might be correct.

robotdreams

Postby robotdreams » Sat May 22, 2010 11:11 am

Thanks I needed tips on reviewing mistakes on LR too, I have reached a consistent mark now and needed to get out of the slump :mrgreen:

shoop

Postby shoop » Mon May 24, 2010 11:18 am

I usually look at the question and the credited response, shout "that doesn't logically follow!!!!" plus some obscenities, stare silently at it for several minutes, interrupt my boyfriend's FIFA '10 marathon to force him to listen to me reading the question, credited response, and my selected answer, and then sullenly accept that I got it wrong. Maybe review the relevant LR bible section if it's something I wouldn't have missed if my formal logic skills were a little sharper.

Deep Trench

Postby Deep Trench » Tue May 25, 2010 11:55 am

I grade the LR and RC questions myself without looking at the answer key, and I find that this process in itself is a good review for me. I can usually find all of the questions I missed except two or three in the entire test. It is time consuming since I have to look at every question all over again. However, I find this method helpful since I am not biased by knowing which questions I missed and what the correct answers were. I don't even bring the answer key to the library when I take the practice test so I won't be tempted to look up the answer key and find out what my score is right after taking the test.

Return to “LSAT Prep and Discussion Forum”