RC Main Point questions...question Forum

Prepare for the LSAT or discuss it with others in this forum.
smoneill88

Bronze

RC Main Point questions...question

Post by smoneill88 » Thu May 20, 2010 12:26 am

Ok, RC has been my adversary for about a year now, and I've always known that probably the MOST frequent question I miss in RC sections is Main Point questions.

I just want to know what exactly these questions are asking for, because the idea of "main point" itself is really rather vague to me. Is it the conclusion that the author comes to? Is it just a general summary of what is in the passage? Or is it more the thesis of the passage?

Please give me pointers for these particular question types for RC. Also, if you have techniques, tricks, things to look out for, or anything of the like that can help me with these, please let me know.

(and if you answer back "main point questions are asking for the main point," I will literally reach through my computer and punch you in the jaw).

THHHHAAANNNNKKKKSSSSS

Sandro

Gold

Re: RC Main Point questions...question

Post by Sandro » Thu May 20, 2010 1:16 am

nothing is worse than missing the first question and main points. How can you miss the freaking MAIN POINT of the passage? hate em.

Advice? Look for the LSAT answer. Might not always be what you think, because my main point prephrase for a lot of passages is "What the fuck did I just read about, classical painting in ancient rome?"

bartleby

Silver

Post by bartleby » Thu May 20, 2010 1:42 am

Make sure you choose the one that addresses the entire passage, not just something brief in the first paragraph. Even if I see a main point answer choice I really like, I'll quickly scan the rest of the answers to see if there is a better answer choice. I don't advise this because it is time consuming but I'm a little anal about getting the first question right.

autarkh

Bronze

Post by autarkh » Thu May 20, 2010 3:58 am

bartleby wrote:Make sure you choose the one that addresses the entire passage, not just something brief in the first paragraph. Even if I see a main point answer choice I really like, I'll quickly scan the rest of the answers to see if there is a better answer choice. I don't advise this because it is time consuming but I'm a little anal about getting the first question right.
This.

Main point questions are like elimination questions on the LG section. They should be free points: you know they are going to ask, so be prepared for it.

The right answer will always encompass the whole passage. When you read, make sure you are aware of how many points of view are expressed, and the author's attitude toward each. Usually, the right answer will just be a paraphrase of the sentence(s) that most clearly express the author's point of view.

BigA

Bronze

Post by BigA » Thu May 20, 2010 4:42 am

I have a question: do they mean anything different when they ask for the "main point" and the "main idea"? Subtle difference or two ways of saying the exact same thing?

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

smoneill88

Bronze

Post by smoneill88 » Thu May 20, 2010 3:28 pm

^^^ Thanks for the advice everyone, but BUMP for BigA's question. I'm assuming same thing, but please clarify.

bartleby

Silver

Post by bartleby » Thu May 20, 2010 4:01 pm

Same thing.

CEEJ22

New

Post by CEEJ22 » Thu May 20, 2010 4:20 pm

Sandro777 wrote:.... my main point prephrase for a lot of passages is "What the fuck did I just read about, classical painting in ancient rome?"
hahahaha

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Return to “LSAT Prep and Discussion Forum”