Breakfast / Sleep Cycle

iwanta170

Breakfast / Sleep Cycle

Postby iwanta170 » Wed May 19, 2010 11:11 pm

This may sound like a silly question but it has me a little worried.

I usually wake up right before 9 and then eat breakfast. I'm worried that if I do this the day of the test, I'll be hungry by the time the test starts.

Should I start getting into the habit of waking up later?

Sandro

Re: Breakfast / Sleep Cycle

Postby Sandro » Thu May 20, 2010 1:17 am

I'm not sure what i'm going to do either. Dont really want to eat right before the test...

bk1

Postby bk1 » Thu May 20, 2010 4:36 am

Bring snacks into the test?

Kilpatrick

Postby Kilpatrick » Thu May 20, 2010 4:41 am

Why don't you want to eat before the test? There is no swimming portion.

bk1

Postby bk1 » Thu May 20, 2010 4:43 am

Kilpatrick wrote:Why don't you want to eat before the test? There is no swimming portion.

This made me lol. :lol:

Marionberry

Postby Marionberry » Thu May 20, 2010 7:59 am

Kilpatrick wrote:Why don't you want to eat before the test? There is no swimming portion.

No? Fuck. I have been sorely misguided in my test prep strategies then...

Oh, and I'm eating lunch around 11:30. Kashi veggie pizza, high protein, complex carbs, some but not too much fat. Also eating pretty consistently that morning: wake up: big bowl o' oatmeal. Hit the gym for 30 min vigorous cardio. Protein shake. Possibly a snack bar. Then 3/4 of Kashi pizza. Take another snack bar for the break at the test.

High protein, high (complex)carbohydrate, and moderate fat is the winning formula, imho. And I should know, I took an introductory nutrition class my junior year.

k77

Postby k77 » Thu May 20, 2010 9:00 am

Here's a suggestion based on anecdotal evidence:

A couple months ago I started a primal/paleo diet -- it's high fat, relatively high protein, and low carb (see marksdailyapple.com). A lot of people get uncomfortable with bucking the conventional wisdom on what's "healthy," but I can tell you this: since starting it, I always have constant energy levels, I don't get tired until it's time to go to bed, and (most importantly for you), I basically never get hungry.

Just an option :) Though I wouldn't switch sooner than a week before the test cuz everyone reacts differently at first. good luck

Marionberry

Postby Marionberry » Thu May 20, 2010 10:29 am

k77 wrote:Here's a suggestion based on anecdotal evidence:

A couple months ago I started a primal/paleo diet -- it's high fat, relatively high protein, and low carb (see marksdailyapple.com). A lot of people get uncomfortable with bucking the conventional wisdom on what's "healthy," but I can tell you this: since starting it, I always have constant energy levels, I don't get tired until it's time to go to bed, and (most importantly for you), I basically never get hungry.

Just an option :) Though I wouldn't switch sooner than a week before the test cuz everyone reacts differently at first. good luck

I agree with the basic idea of this diet for everday nutritition, but I find that having adequate carbs when I take tests keeps my energy levels from dropping and keeps me from getting hungry. I can do without so many carbs when I'm not exercising, but when I'm working out daily and not eating a lot of carbs I am literally hungry every hour. So i think it depends a lot on what your needs are, and what works for you.

JuTMSY4

Postby JuTMSY4 » Thu May 20, 2010 10:39 am

Do as much as normal as you can for test day:

If you eat breakfast at 9, eat breakfast at 9

Take a 10am dump? Do that

Drink 7 cups of coffee every AM? Do that (but watch out if you have to pee during the test).

The worst part of my test was the the 16 oz of water I drank when I walked in and went through me with a section to go...

My advice though, do everything as you normally would...and maybe pack some snacks and/or eat a little something beforehand. Most people are nervous before and during the test, but grab a little brainfood. Nuts and bananas are great for both the brain and hunger

TexasDemocrat

Postby TexasDemocrat » Thu May 20, 2010 11:47 am

Eat a bigger breakfast or bring food (they allow you snack breaks). I'd go with the latter. You don't want to start your test feeling miserably full.

Sandro

Postby Sandro » Thu May 20, 2010 1:02 pm

TexasDemocrat wrote:Eat a bigger breakfast or bring food (they allow you snack breaks). I'd go with the latter. You don't want to start your test feeling miserably full.

thats what I was trying to get at. I guess a moderate "snack" could work.

Shrimps

Postby Shrimps » Sat May 22, 2010 1:52 am

Be careful about any low-carb diets. Nasty headaches, "brain fog" and nausea are very common side effects of getting into ketosis. It usually clears up after a few days, but I certainly wouldn't recommend going on a ketogenic diet this soon before the test.

Also, how about a jog on a treadmill and a nice, long shower just before heading out to the test center? Should help with that afternoon slump, I would hope. Along with some Red Bull and a cigarette.

Return to “LSAT Prep and Discussion Forum”