Combining Kaplan and Powerscore

armette

Combining Kaplan and Powerscore

Postby armette » Tue May 18, 2010 5:07 pm

I'm getting ready to start studying for the October LSAT, but I've got a few questions. I'm registered for a Kaplan course that starts in June. I've been reading through this forum for a few weeks and have seen a lot of good reviews about Powerscore. I was thinking about combining my studying between Kaplan and Powerscore. Would it be a bad idea trying to use both to study? Maybe a conflict of strategies or something?

If I do use both, would it be best to use Kaplan strictly for class and then do all my outside studying with Powerscore? Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

forward

Re: Combining Kaplan and Powerscore

Postby forward » Tue May 18, 2010 5:31 pm

Last edited by forward on Tue Sep 21, 2010 12:52 am, edited 1 time in total.

armette

Postby armette » Tue May 18, 2010 6:33 pm

I'm pretty much locked into the Kaplan course for now. All in all, though, you think the combination of PS and Kaplan works?

digitalcntrl

Postby digitalcntrl » Tue May 18, 2010 8:13 pm

armette wrote:I'm pretty much locked into the Kaplan course for now. All in all, though, you think the combination of PS and Kaplan works?

Kaplan is crap. Let me say again Kaplan is crap. This is not just my opinion. Numerous other TLSers and people who have taken both courses agree.

Besides, how are you locked into Kaplan if it starts in June?

armette

Postby armette » Tue May 18, 2010 9:06 pm

I go to school in MS, so my options are limited.

Are you saying its crap enough that I'd be better off studying on my own?

digitalcntrl

Postby digitalcntrl » Wed May 19, 2010 2:33 am

armette wrote:I go to school in MS, so my options are limited.

Are you saying its crap enough that I'd be better off studying on my own?

It can be. Some of the tactics taught by Kaplan are horrendous according to many TLSers. Besides I believe that TestMasters (PowerScore's parent) does offer weekend classes in Mississippi.

tomwatts

Postby tomwatts » Wed May 19, 2010 3:24 am

You might consider an online course. I have at least one or two online students from Mississippi right now.

KaplanLSATInstructor

Postby KaplanLSATInstructor » Wed May 19, 2010 8:41 am

There's a lot of bias against Kaplan on this board, much of which I feel is utterly unwarranted.

OP -- if you have any questions about the Kaplan course that you signed up for, let me know. I'll be happy to give you honest feedback.

That being said, stick with the course and I think you'll find that Kaplan isn't nearly as bad as some people on these boards make it out to be. In fact, having taught the methods now for over six years and having seen them help students score in the 160s and 170s, I can attest that they are solid.

Make up your own mind. As for combining them with PowerScore methods, I know this is a popular idea, since people love the PowerScore Bibles. With a couple of stand-out exceptions, you're not going to find a lot of conflicting information.

That being said, I don't think it's ideal, since you're liable to confuse yourself with the different terminology (e.g., Linear vs. Sequencing Games, Must Be True vs. Inference). Also, personally, I find consistency to be better than trying to juggle information two different sources. However, if you're okay with that, it's not something I would necessarily endorse as a Kaplan teacher -- but I wouldn't say it will be detrimental to your studying.

- Chris

armette

Postby armette » Wed May 19, 2010 11:56 am

KaplanLSATInstructor wrote:That being said, I don't think it's ideal, since you're liable to confuse yourself with the different terminology (e.g., Linear vs. Sequencing Games, Must Be True vs. Inference). Also, personally, I find consistency to be better than trying to juggle information two different sources. However, if you're okay with that, it's not something I would necessarily endorse as a Kaplan teacher -- but I wouldn't say it will be detrimental to your studying.

- Chris

Those are exactly the type of things I was originally concerned about.

I haven't received my Kaplan study material yet. Is there enough study material with Kaplan that I can do rigorous studying this summer? Or will I need to order more study supplies (this is where I though PS would come in)? I plan on studying ~4hrs/day, 5 days a week.

I'm obviously still very much in the preliminary stages of my LSAT preparation, so any general advice is also welcome. In the mean time I'll continue to browse TLS.

KaplanLSATInstructor

Postby KaplanLSATInstructor » Wed May 19, 2010 1:00 pm

armette wrote:I haven't received my Kaplan study material yet. Is there enough study material with Kaplan that I can do rigorous studying this summer? Or will I need to order more study supplies (this is where I though PS would come in)?

As part of your materials, you will get four books that contain more than ample material to study throughout the summer. Plus, you will have access to every single released PrepTest (over 60) through your online account. Nothing out there will provide you with anything additional in terms of actual LSAT material.

I can give you greater detail about these materials if you'd like to PM me.

- Chris

hiromoto45

Postby hiromoto45 » Wed May 19, 2010 1:03 pm

Last edited by hiromoto45 on Wed May 19, 2010 2:50 pm, edited 1 time in total.

HiLine

Postby HiLine » Wed May 19, 2010 1:40 pm

I noticed the strategy sheet that Kaplan distributes to their students uses a very similar terminology for LR and RC as Powerscore. The major drawback lies in the Logical Games approach, which is quite inefficient in my opinion.

Return to “LSAT Prep and Discussion Forum”