New Yorkers -- Which Test Center Do You Recommend?

MagnumLifeStyle

New Yorkers -- Which Test Center Do You Recommend?

Postby MagnumLifeStyle » Tue May 18, 2010 12:43 am

I know Kaplan has a good review of test centers nationwide, but I was wondering if any City residents here have taken the LSAT in Manhattan (recently), and have anything to say about the center (and why).

Pace University and NYU Law centers have pretty good ratings. Do they have good AC/Heating and bathroom arrangements?
I'll make sure to share once I take it in October.

Thanks =)

quasi-stellar

Re: New Yorkers -- Which Test Center Do You Recommend?

Postby quasi-stellar » Tue May 18, 2010 4:08 pm

I'd say Pace is pretty good. I did not take the actual test there, but I did make a visit to see specifically what the lecture halls were like as well as their typical classrooms. All the desks were pretty big, bathrooms were close by and none of the lecture halls I saw had any windows which is good probably in terms of external noises.
Another good thing is that it is easily accessible by subway from Brooklyn, which is where I live. Btw, the closest center to me is Brooklyn college and from what I heard from some of my friends it is really terrible.

Bert

Postby Bert » Tue May 18, 2010 4:15 pm

The one thing I didn't like about Pace were the conference hall chairs -- they are the seats that are attached to one of the table legs/supports and swivel out. I had a difficult time getting the chair just where I wanted it, and if you don't keep pressure, they just swung back out.

bceagles182

Postby bceagles182 » Tue May 18, 2010 4:18 pm

Staten Island

... just kidding

MagnumLifeStyle

Postby MagnumLifeStyle » Tue May 18, 2010 10:00 pm

hey Bert,
thanks for your insight on Pace. I never thought about the chairs that are attached to the tables.
Have you ever taken the test at any other location in Manhattan?

ohmy212

Postby ohmy212 » Tue May 18, 2010 10:14 pm

MagnumLifeStyle wrote:I know Kaplan has a good review of test centers nationwide, but I was wondering if any City residents here have taken the LSAT in Manhattan (recently), and have anything to say about the center (and why).

Pace University and NYU Law centers have pretty good ratings. Do they have good AC/Heating and bathroom arrangements?
I'll make sure to share once I take it in October.

Thanks =)

I took it at NYU and it was HORRIBLE. You take it in a large auditorium and the desks pull up from between the seats and they are very very small. I would not take it there if I had any other option. The second time I took elsewhere and I went up 9 points. There were other factors involved in the score change, of course, but it is something to think about.

GordonBombay

Postby GordonBombay » Tue May 18, 2010 10:31 pm

bceagles182 wrote:Staten Island

... just kidding

I took it at Hofstra the first time (meh) and the second time got bumped form Columbia to Wagner (on Staten Island). What did suck was the test getting canceled due to snow. BUT, and maybe this was just because it was a makeup of the February test, but my room had like 10 people and our proctor was amazing. Super cool about everything, young guy who wasnt a law student. Everything was very laid back and accommodating. I borrowed a car and got a hotel room for 100$ the night before.

So if you can get there, it's actually a good option...just not if there's snow in the forecast

memaha

Postby memaha » Tue May 18, 2010 10:45 pm

ohmy212 wrote:I took it at NYU and it was HORRIBLE. You take it in a large auditorium and the desks pull up from between the seats and they are very very small. I would not take it there if I had any other option. The second time I took elsewhere and I went up 9 points. There were other factors involved in the score change, of course, but it is something to think about.

I took my first one at NYU as well but was placed in a lecture classroom, with long tables, amble desk space, and an empty seat in-between every test-taker. So I guess it just depends on where you end up getting sent to.
But my problem with NYU is how long it takes before you actually start Section I. The process is very tedious and stupidly slow, we ended up starting the actual test around 10:30...

ohmy212

Postby ohmy212 » Thu May 20, 2010 2:08 pm

memaha wrote:
ohmy212 wrote:I took it at NYU and it was HORRIBLE. You take it in a large auditorium and the desks pull up from between the seats and they are very very small. I would not take it there if I had any other option. The second time I took elsewhere and I went up 9 points. There were other factors involved in the score change, of course, but it is something to think about.

I took my first one at NYU as well but was placed in a lecture classroom, with long tables, amble desk space, and an empty seat in-between every test-taker. So I guess it just depends on where you end up getting sent to.
But my problem with NYU is how long it takes before you actually start Section I. The process is very tedious and stupidly slow, we ended up starting the actual test around 10:30...

Are you a lefty? When I took it they separated out all of the left handed people and put them into rooms.

It did take forever to start.

Bert

Postby Bert » Thu May 20, 2010 2:18 pm

MagnumLifeStyle wrote:hey Bert,
thanks for your insight on Pace. I never thought about the chairs that are attached to the tables.
Have you ever taken the test at any other location in Manhattan?

Nope, sorry. I took it twice at Pace (I am convinced that the chair thing f'ed up my score the first time). The second time I took it, we were in a normal classroom, with the normal college desk/chair combos that fit slightly more than one sheet of paper. The proctor was really nice and set up the chairs so that each student taking the test had two such desk/chair combos next to each other for more space (arranged kind of like 7L). One desk held the test and the other one was pencils, highlighters, etc. I really didn't think that not being able to spread out hurt me the second time.

memaha

Postby memaha » Thu May 20, 2010 2:22 pm

ohmy212 wrote:
Are you a lefty? When I took it they separated out all of the left handed people and put them into rooms.

It did take forever to start.

I am a lefty, but I was in a room with both right and left-handers. We all waited outside in the courtyard until some woman came out and said anyone from A-H was going upstairs and so on...

Bert

Postby Bert » Thu May 20, 2010 2:30 pm

memaha wrote:But my problem with NYU is how long it takes before you actually start Section I. The process is very tedious and stupidly slow, we ended up starting the actual test around 10:30...

That mus't've sucked. Pace was definitely efficient in this regard.

At Pace, everybody congregated in the lobby at the scheduled time, the head proctor lady announced that those not taking the test should leave, and then took everybody up to the testing area. She counted out how ever many people needed to go into each room and then moved on to the next room, so that each room could do its thing.

jl2032

Postby jl2032 » Thu May 20, 2010 3:00 pm

I was also bumped from Columbia and took mine in some high school in Brooklyn, and the little wooden desks made me feel like a kid again. At first, it felt weird, but then I got flashbacks to taking standardized tests in high school and I was always very comfortable with those. So, maybe that helped.

BUT it was administered by a very unprofessional woman who kept stealing my watch to check the time and interrupted us a few times during the exam. She also made a phone call during the exam to ask a question about what to do with a student who wanted to cancel his score (again, this was during the exam not between sections). I think it was her first time. She didn't even bring a watch with her and there was no clock in the classroom. I assume this would not have happened at Columbia.

GordonBombay

Postby GordonBombay » Thu May 20, 2010 3:04 pm

Im assuming your referring to the HS on the bay far SE in Brooklyn. I avoided that one like the plague. No clock in the room at Hofstra which was brutal, Just a large test center in general and thus unfriendly. I still reccomend zipcar/ hotel room/ wagner

gilagarta

Postby gilagarta » Thu May 20, 2010 3:12 pm

Eleanor Roosevelt HS on the Upper East Side was AMAZING. Probably about 100-150 ppl there taking the test, about 20 per classroom. Each person gets a typical high school desk, not huge put plenty of space to spread out your pencils, answer sheet/booklet, etc. The proctors there are in general pretty relaxed - mine didn't care if we kept our water bottles out during the test and he was really good about giving the 5 minute warnings. It was completely quiet there and I had no troubles at all. I live close so it was easy to get to, but even if you have to travel to get there I would highly recommend.

clintonius

Postby clintonius » Thu May 20, 2010 4:00 pm

I took mine at New York Law School in Tribeca. The center itself was great. I was in a lecture hall with long tables instead of desks, which provided more than ample room, and there was a clock. It's a large test center and starts late because of that -- we began around 10:30 and didn't finish until well after 3. If that kind of disorder will throw you off, I wouldn't recommend it, but I do think the roominess is a big plus.

Of course, it may also be the case that other rooms are not as accommodating.

I'd also caution against making a decision based on reports of a bad proctor. I'm under the impression that these proctors rotate and that there's no way to know who you'll get.

tamago12

Postby tamago12 » Thu May 20, 2010 9:22 pm

gilagarta wrote:Eleanor Roosevelt HS on the Upper East Side was AMAZING. Probably about 100-150 ppl there taking the test, about 20 per classroom. Each person gets a typical high school desk, not huge put plenty of space to spread out your pencils, answer sheet/booklet, etc. The proctors there are in general pretty relaxed - mine didn't care if we kept our water bottles out during the test and he was really good about giving the 5 minute warnings. It was completely quiet there and I had no troubles at all. I live close so it was easy to get to, but even if you have to travel to get there I would highly recommend.

I second Eleanor Roosevelt HS! My first LSAT was there, and everything proceeded very smoothly, with a polite and professional proctor who started the test on time. Each room had few students (maybe 15 in mine), with plenty of space to work and a decent temperature on the thermostat.

My second LSAT was at a hotel in the financial district, which was pretty horrible overall. But I don't think they usually hold LSATs there, so it may not even be an option this time. If it is, stay away from the Marriott!

Return to “LSAT Prep and Discussion Forum”