3 weeks - LG Mission

Sandro

3 weeks - LG Mission

Postby Sandro » Mon May 17, 2010 3:19 pm

I have 3 weeks to cement my LG skills. I feel I have a good grasp of powerscore's techniques and can effectively diagram almost anything. On older PT's I continue to score -9,-10 from not being able to get inferences on one game and having to guess on 3 or 4+ questions in that game.

On the new PT's i'm somewhat better. Last recent one I took was PT 54 and i scored a -4, good grasp of each game and mistakes were silly.

Does anyone have any advice on how I should spend the next 3 weeks on LG? On the last 4 or 5 PT's LG is singlehandedly keeping me from 170+, with my last PT a 168 - with 9 missed on LG (PT 36). I think my biggest problem is I get into test mode and my mind works so fast I miss inferences/restrictions on games that would help me a lot....

Saltqjibo

Re: 3 weeks - LG Mission

Postby Saltqjibo » Mon May 17, 2010 4:53 pm

I just hit 179 (-1 LG -1LR) on my last past test after struggling like crazy with games for over a month

viewtopic.php?f=6&t=117782

might help or might not.

Sandro

Postby Sandro » Mon May 17, 2010 10:47 pm

did you start doing them timed or untimed?

Saltqjibo

Postby Saltqjibo » Tue May 18, 2010 12:32 am

I timed them individually. with an emphasis on speed over accuracy, as I found lack of time contributed most to me panicking and bombing the whole section. That said I did go through powerscore and had some basis in setting up diagrams and I also let myself go way over 8 mins on games that I needed to (cambridge organizes by difficulty which is nice). After every game I'd go back and check the answers in the back of the passage and figure out where I went wrong before moving on to the next. To be honest I think the key for me was the sheer volume of games I did as doing so many (literally 4 straight hours of games for a few days straight) really cemented the analytical process and got rid of my dread of the section. Also speeding up the easy games was key as there seems to be alot more of those on the newer tests. If I can get the two easiest done in 5 minutes each (totally possible with the new games) that leaves 12-13 for the harder ones - which is plenty of time to plug and chug!

You can definitly get the games down, I was in a similar situation as you like 10 days ago, trapped in the 160s (-10 on games). I feel much less intimidated now and my scores are much better. Just grab some grouped games from whatever company and plow through them, you will notice the difference almost immediately!

not trying to plug cambridge LSAT at all, but the fact that they only pull from tests 1-40 is great because you don't spoil recent tests - also you can just download them off their website
--LinkRemoved--

Sandro

Postby Sandro » Tue May 18, 2010 12:06 pm

We have the same problem. When I start to panic my mind freezes up. When i'm reviewing the section later on I almost instantly see what I should have saw. My -9/10/11s aren't evenly distrubuted throughout the whole LG section - I'll miss 3 or so on 3 of the games, and then have to guess on 5 or so on another game because i completely froze up.

i've found going through some of the older sections untimed helps me get a better feel of what they will be testing me on - there are only so many parts to a game they could work into 5-7 questions. Im starting to see a general pattern of questions relating to placement of variables, limited distributions, and checking to see if you can recognize certain instances that violate rules that require you to link 2 or 3 up.

My recent -4 on PT 54 was very encouraging. Hopefully getting good at the older games will help me towards -0 on test day. Hopefully.

Sandro

Postby Sandro » Wed May 19, 2010 10:56 pm

Obviously just trying to speed through these games isnt helping much. I'm missing 2-3 on some. Going to try untimed for a while then ease into timed.

hellokitty

Postby hellokitty » Wed May 19, 2010 10:58 pm

Good luck! Games are my toughest section as well, still haven't quite mastered them! I think untimed and then transitioning into timed sounds like a pretty solid plan though!

Sandro

Postby Sandro » Fri May 21, 2010 12:10 am

I sure hope so.... It is killing me how bad I am on LG compared to LR and RC. It makes no sense and I need to figure out why.

Return to “LSAT Prep and Discussion Forum”