Three weeks out, tell me what you are doing now....

burtonrideclub

Three weeks out, tell me what you are doing now....

Postby burtonrideclub » Mon May 17, 2010 1:41 pm

I have 7 tests left, spread three days apart. I'm averaging around 172, so it doesn't take me long to review each PT. I feel like I've been through nearly all the information out there, do you guys just do it over and over?

sluguy14

Re: Three weeks out, tell me what you are doing now....

Postby sluguy14 » Mon May 17, 2010 1:48 pm

Now that school is out, I'm turning my my full attention to mastering the concepts and question types that I seem to miss more frequently. I try to intersperse some full-length (5 section) tests, but I'm definitely not in the "more is better" school of thought with PTs. In my experience, it's best to recognize the point of diminishing returns and instead spend more time on individual sections and question types.

I'm also taking a Kaplan Advanced online course, which so far has been very helpful. I know, conventional wisdom on this board is that Kaplan is inferior, but I've seen my test averages jump about 10 points (now around 170).

Of course, we'll see what happens on test day.

malfurion

Postby malfurion » Mon May 17, 2010 3:50 pm

burtonrideclub wrote:I have 7 tests left, spread three days apart. I'm averaging around 172, so it doesn't take me long to review each PT. I feel like I've been through nearly all the information out there, do you guys just do it over and over?

I'm in pretty much the same situation as you are. I took PT52 today, and have 53-59 spread out over the next 3 weeks, with "experimental" sections inserted from other older tests. Also gonna be doing some individual sections from older tests on non-PT days, plus reviewing the LRB chapters for a few of the question types that I seem to missing more often. I just want to mostly keep doing what I've been doing, while applying minor tweaks here and there, but not making any major changes to how I do things.

TOMaHULK

Postby TOMaHULK » Mon May 17, 2010 4:46 pm

Practice test every couple of days. Reviewing each test after. Trying to master the info in the Bibles.

I have extra examples in books from Kaplan (Mastering, Pacing, Endurance, etc) which I "thought" I'd use for more examples, etc, however I think I'm going to stay clear because many of those are written by Kaplan, and I think my time would be better served with the actual test questions. Plus I can grab some more test if I need to.
Last edited by TOMaHULK on Mon May 17, 2010 5:15 pm, edited 1 time in total.

jpSartre

Postby jpSartre » Mon May 17, 2010 4:47 pm

malfurion wrote:
burtonrideclub wrote:I have 7 tests left, spread three days apart. I'm averaging around 172, so it doesn't take me long to review each PT. I feel like I've been through nearly all the information out there, do you guys just do it over and over?

I'm in pretty much the same situation as you are. I took PT52 today, and have 53-59 spread out over the next 3 weeks, with "experimental" sections inserted from other older tests. Also gonna be doing some individual sections from older tests on non-PT days, plus reviewing the LRB chapters for a few of the question types that I seem to missing more often. I just want to mostly keep doing what I've been doing, while applying minor tweaks here and there, but not making any major changes to how I do things.

+1 more or less, but make it 8 cause I have June 2007 to do, and make the average a 170 over the last 5 tests.

DaveBear07

Postby DaveBear07 » Mon May 17, 2010 4:58 pm

I'll be taking the latest 7 PT's every few days, with experimental sections.

Inbetween I'll review the tests and the Powerscore Bibles and Logic Game Workbook. I also have been making copies of the newest games sections to do for practice as well.

I have to make sure I perform my best on test day!!!

LSAT Blog

Postby LSAT Blog » Mon May 17, 2010 5:26 pm

TOMaHULK wrote:Practice test every couple of days. Reviewing each test after. Trying to master the info in the Bibles.

I have extra examples in books from Kaplan (Mastering, Pacing, Endurance, etc) which I "thought" I'd use for more examples, etc, however I think I'm going to stay clear because many of those are written by Kaplan, and I think my time would be better served with the actual test questions. Plus I can grab some more test if I need to.

While several of Kaplan's retail LSAT books contain Kaplan-written questions, the Kaplan coursebooks (which are what you're referring to - Mastery, Pacing, Endurance) consist of real LSAT questions. Only the explanations are Kaplan-written.

Prior to each section or below each question (depending on which book you're using), the book indicates which PrepTest/Section/Question the question is from.

TOMaHULK

Postby TOMaHULK » Mon May 17, 2010 5:35 pm

LSAT Blog wrote:
TOMaHULK wrote:Practice test every couple of days. Reviewing each test after. Trying to master the info in the Bibles.

While several of Kaplan's retail LSAT books contain Kaplan-written questions, the Kaplan coursebooks (which are what you're referring to - Mastery, Pacing, Endurance) consist of real LSAT questions. Only the explanations are Kaplan-written.

Prior to each section or below each question (depending on which book you're using), the book indicates which PrepTest/Section/Question the question is from.

Ah...good to know. Probably gonna crack those too then ;p

alphagamma

Postby alphagamma » Mon May 17, 2010 5:39 pm

I'm taking a PT about once every two days, reviewing missed questions extensively, etc. I'm concerned mainly with improving reading speed and focus now, as that seems like the key to further improvement (for me, at least).

jdstl

Postby jdstl » Mon May 17, 2010 6:19 pm

I've got one PT left for each weekday left before the test (so 15 now). I'm doing one PT each day and reviewing wrong answers. I'm only using tests from "10 more", and "the next ten" books, so I'm thinking about scrapping some of the older tests for the newer individual tests for my final few pt's.

I take weekends off, but might spend the Saturday before doing some final Logic Games work.

jjlaw

Postby jjlaw » Mon May 17, 2010 6:36 pm

I have about 5 PTs spread out over the next three weeks with some individual sections sprinkled in on non-PT days. I don't think I'll be taking it TOO easy during the couple of days before the test because I find that if I relax TOO much, I tend to lose focus. So, I'll probably do my last full-length PT on Saturday and then some practice sections on Sunday before game day.

smoneill88

Postby smoneill88 » Mon May 17, 2010 7:39 pm

I have about 8 PT lined up for the next few weeks, pretty much the most recent tests.

But I have a question... I set out a schedule to do a PT every Mon Wed Fri until the test...do u think this might create a bit of mental fatigue? I have already scored above my target, and am really just going for consistency with these PT's (RC is my only weakness). Should I take it a little easier so I don't overwork? I tried doing a PT today but in the middle of the first section just lost motivation so wasted one of my books (gonna devote the remaining sections to experimentals now I guess).

jman77

Postby jman77 » Mon May 17, 2010 8:00 pm

For the past month, I have been doing 1 PT each night on weekdays (took some nights off) and Saturdays and 2-3 PT's on Sundays, working all the way up to PT 36 last night. This week, I will just do sections, mostly LG's and reviewing the LG bible. Starting next week, I will go back to my old routine (1 PT per night, 2-3 on Sundays), all the way to PT 58.

Speaking of PT 36, anyone else think the games section was ridiculously easy (especially the pilot/co-pilot one)? Or is it just because the earlier games were especially tough? I have been hearing that the games get easier into the 40's and 50's... hopefully that is correct.

I will be retaking this June, but I never really did PT's before, aside from maybe 3 or 4. Pretty tough to study after working 9-10 hours each day, but you gotta do what you gotta do, right?

TOMaHULK

Postby TOMaHULK » Tue May 18, 2010 10:57 am

smoneill88 wrote:I have about 8 PT lined up for the next few weeks, pretty much the most recent tests.

But I have a question... I set out a schedule to do a PT every Mon Wed Fri until the test...do u think this might create a bit of mental fatigue? I have already scored above my target, and am really just going for consistency with these PT's (RC is my only weakness). Should I take it a little easier so I don't overwork? I tried doing a PT today but in the middle of the first section just lost motivation so wasted one of my books (gonna devote the remaining sections to experimentals now I guess).

IMHO, at this point I think the more material and questions that you see. That is, up until like a day or 2 before the test. At that point I think it should be lightened up a bit. I don't think mental fatigue can really last more than a day or two. I'd say keep up with the practice test and wean(sp?) back the weekend before test day. That way come test day, you've seen every damn question available. Again, JMO. :wink:

NonTradHealthLaw

Postby NonTradHealthLaw » Tue May 18, 2010 11:02 am

I'm doing two one PT during the week and one PT on the weekend. The rest of the time I'm outlining LRB and trying to write additional wrong answers (F, G, H) to any LR questions I've missed on previous tests. Haven't gone through all of the tests and I refuse to spend another dime so I'm having to get creative. I'm so bored with studying it's the only way I can keep motivated.

To keep my LG/RC fresh I'm doing Sudoku and other logic puzzles and reading The Economist & New Yorker with my 3 month puppy on my lap to mimic distractions. Wish this bastard was tomorrow.

LSAT Blog

Postby LSAT Blog » Tue May 18, 2010 11:13 am

jman77 wrote:For the past month, I have been doing 1 PT each night on weekdays (took some nights off) and Saturdays and 2-3 PT's on Sundays, working all the way up to PT 36 last night. This week, I will just do sections, mostly LG's and reviewing the LG bible. Starting next week, I will go back to my old routine (1 PT per night, 2-3 on Sundays), all the way to PT 58.

Speaking of PT 36, anyone else think the games section was ridiculously easy (especially the pilot/co-pilot one)? Or is it just because the earlier games were especially tough? I have been hearing that the games get easier into the 40's and 50's... hopefully that is correct.

I will be retaking this June, but I never really did PT's before, aside from maybe 3 or 4. Pretty tough to study after working 9-10 hours each day, but you gotta do what you gotta do, right?

I hope you're spacing out those Sunday PTs with plenty of breaks. You're doing a lot of PTs per week - are you spending enough time reviewing what you complete? Scale back if you feel yourself experiencing burnout.

PT36, G4 (pilot/co-pilot) is probably one of the easiest games ever, but PT36, G3 is particularly difficult, and PT36, G1 has an annoying rule (W -> F or T) and a question with double-negatives (Q5) that many find difficult.

Games do get a bit easier in 40s and 50s.

smoneill88 wrote:I have about 8 PT lined up for the next few weeks, pretty much the most recent tests.

3/week on MWF sounds fine. I don't think this is the sort of thing that would lead to burnout.

Don't lose motivation - just keep your eyes on the prize. There are only 3 more weeks!

jman77

Postby jman77 » Tue May 18, 2010 11:23 am

LSAT Blog wrote:
jman77 wrote:For the past month, I have been doing 1 PT each night on weekdays (took some nights off) and Saturdays and 2-3 PT's on Sundays, working all the way up to PT 36 last night. This week, I will just do sections, mostly LG's and reviewing the LG bible. Starting next week, I will go back to my old routine (1 PT per night, 2-3 on Sundays), all the way to PT 58.

I hope you're spacing out those Sunday PTs with plenty of breaks. You're doing a lot of PTs per week - are you spending enough time reviewing what you complete? Scale back if you feel yourself experiencing burnout.

PT36, G4 (pilot/co-pilot) is probably one of the easiest games ever, but PT36, G3 is particularly difficult, and PT36, G1 has an annoying rule (W -> F or T) and a question with double-negatives (Q5) that many find difficult.

I have been averaging in the 175-178 range, so I think I'm alright...for now. I've always been pretty adept at LR and RC, and it was just the LG that held me back in the past (-10 when I took the December 2009 LSAT). I am cognizant of the potential for burnout, though, hence the scale back this week. Last night, I watched the entire Laker-Suns game and just worked on 2 LG sections. I'm probably going to do the same tonight.

Yeah, Game 3 is the most challenging one in PT 36, but once you are able to establish the 2 possible positions for the G-H aisle block, it becomes significantly easier... you can build a couple of templates and just work with the other rules. For some reason, I did not find Game 1 difficult at all. The other game (live call, taped call, Seattle, Vancouver) was pretty easy as well. A tough game from something I've recently done (can't remember the PT no.) would be the one with the Lighting, Production, Rehearsal, etc. schedule.
Last edited by jman77 on Tue May 18, 2010 11:25 am, edited 1 time in total.

CryingMonkey

Postby CryingMonkey » Tue May 18, 2010 11:25 am

I've been taking a break - took a PT on Friday and a PT on Saturday then decided to take off S-M-T and start back up again tomorrow. I'm kind of chomping at the bit, but I think a breather was necessary. I think I'm going to take 7 more PTs (for a total of 16) and try to finish all the games sections from the tests I'm not taking. The nine PTs I've taken over the last three weeks have been pretty consistent (within four points) so I'm trying to focus mainly on execution and working with distractions, etc.

LSAT Blog

Postby LSAT Blog » Tue May 18, 2010 11:30 am

jman77 wrote:
LSAT Blog wrote:

I have been averaging in the 175-178 range, so I think I'm alright...for now. I've always been pretty adept at LR and RC, and it was just the LG that held me back in the past (-10 when I took the December 2009 LSAT). I am cognizant of the potential for burnout, though, hence the scale back this week. Last night, I watched the entire Laker-Suns game and just worked on 2 LG sections. I'm probably going to do the same tonight.

Yeah, Game 3 is the most challenging one in PT 36, but once you are able to establish the 2 possible positions for the G-H aisle block, it becomes significantly easier... you can build a couple of templates and just work with the other rules. For some reason, I did not find Game 1 difficult at all. The other game (live call, taped call, Seattle, Vancouver) was pretty easy as well. A tough game from something I've recently done (can't remember the PT no.) would be the one with the Lighting, Production, Rehearsal, etc. schedule.

Good for you on PT36, G1.

Yes, for PT36, G3, I agree that drawing templates based on the two positions for the G-H rule is the way to go - b/c it's the only concrete rule. The others are conditional. You then learn that when G-H is on 2&3, K must be in either the window of 1 or aisle of 1.

Lighting, Production, Rehearsal is PT19, G2. That is a tough one.

jman77

Postby jman77 » Tue May 18, 2010 12:10 pm

LSAT Blog wrote:
jman77 wrote:
LSAT Blog wrote:

Good for you on PT36, G1.

Yes, for PT36, G3, I agree that drawing templates based on the two positions for the G-H rule is the way to go - b/c it's the only concrete rule. The others are conditional. You then learn that when G-H is on 2&3, K must be in either the window of 1 or aisle of 1.

Lighting, Production, Rehearsal is PT19, G2. That is a tough one.

The easiest games for me are those that involve in-out scenarios (birds in the forest, fruits in the fruit stand, etc.) and sequencing (clowns coming out of a car, etc.). I have the toughest time wtih mapping and pattern games, and to a lesser extent, advanced linear games. The LG bible has helped me tremendously to shore up my LG skills. I've gone from -10-12 to -3-5. Hopefully I can improve even more in the remaining 3 weeks. LR and RC have always come naturally to me, thankfully.

makingwaves

Postby makingwaves » Tue May 18, 2010 1:03 pm

I'm doing A TON of practice questions and finishing up my BP Movie course this week. The next two weeks (starting Satuday) are a PT every other day with review on the off days. I tried this with half of last week and I noticed that taking the day off and only reviewing the test, then watching tv/reading/whatever for the rest of the day is REALLY helping my brain put all the concepts together and i'm coming back stronger each time. Happy to report LR is finally coming together for me, and not a moment too soon!!!

Return to “LSAT Prep and Discussion Forum”