LSAT OCT 2010 Help

bargard

LSAT OCT 2010 Help

Postby bargard » Mon May 17, 2010 1:23 pm

Hi I am new here. I have taken the LSAT 3 times scored a 143 twice and 146 in Feb.

I want to raise my score to a 158-162. I took a kaplan course once but that was it, never had a chance to fully apply myself.

I want to take the exam in october and want some advice. I will be working this summer however I will have time to study a few hours a day.

I am 26 currently and won't turn 27 till next year. I want to get into a decent law school.
My college GPA was a 3.0, and I have decent work experience.

Here are my questions
1- Can I raise my score and reach my goal?
2- How so whats the best way, whats the best class to take ?
3- If I get my goal score will I have a good chance of getting into some decent schools?
4- By the time I enter law school I will be 27 is that too old?

I was hoping to go somewhere like Hofstra, Northeastern, New York Law School...Looking for NY-Boston Area. Thanks

yeff

Re: LSAT OCT 2010 Help

Postby yeff » Mon May 17, 2010 1:35 pm

If you have already taken the real LSAT 3 times you may have trouble taking it a fourth time, no?

DavidYurman85

Postby DavidYurman85 » Mon May 17, 2010 1:38 pm

You can certainly raise your score.

I would suggest that you purchase the Powerscore LGB and LRB and as many original prep tests as possible. Get a study plan/schedule (class, self-prep, etc...) and use the next few months to hit the books. I'm not sure about your goals, but with a 3.0 you might want to aim for a higher score - to mitigate that gpa.

Not sure about 27 being "too old", but I doubt it...

bargard

Postby bargard » Mon May 17, 2010 2:41 pm

I took a course only once and did not prep at all for the exam hardly did the work bc I was so busy with work.

Now I have the time to dedicate myself.

tomwatts

Postby tomwatts » Mon May 17, 2010 4:39 pm

bargard wrote:Here are my questions
1- Can I raise my score and reach my goal?
2- How so whats the best way, whats the best class to take ?
3- If I get my goal score will I have a good chance of getting into some decent schools?
4- By the time I enter law school I will be 27 is that too old?

1. It's certainly possible.
2. The best way is doing lots of real LSAT questions. That could be on your own, in a course, with a tutor, or whatever works best for you.
3. Look that sort of thing up on LSAC's website (the Official Guide to ABA-Accredited Law Schools, or whatever it's called), among other places.
4. It definitely isn't. A fair number of people go to law school in their 30's or even 40's.

pilawpcv

Postby pilawpcv » Tue May 18, 2010 4:31 am

If you have already taken the real LSAT 3 times you may have trouble taking it a fourth time, no?

Yeff is right...you can only take the LSAT three times in any two year period, so unless your first two were more than two years ago, you'll have to wait a bit.

Most of the people I've talked to agree (and I concur) that classes are useful mainly if you have trouble keeping yourself to a study schedule. If you need that reinforcement, go for it. Otherwise, check out lsatblog.blogspot.com for a study schedule and get cracking! Best of luck.

LateNight

Postby LateNight » Tue May 18, 2010 5:21 am

Study really, really, really hard.

Try for 2-3 hours a day 4-5 months out from the test; but don't burn yourself out, it is OK to take days off. Be aware that with 3 low scores (aside from having to wait 2 years from the date of your first test) you also have to show significant improvement a 155 (median score) isn't going to really help you as much as a 160 or higher.

In addition, your low GPA also requires that you get a HIGH last score to get into a "decent" law school (this depends on your definition of decent). If you are looking at a Top 75 school, which is how I would define decent (some define it at TOP100 or TOP 10), you should shoot for a 165-167 on your LSAT. You will still be locked out of most TOP30 schools, but anything below TOP50 you would have really good chances.

All of these soft factors you mentioned will help you this time around, especially if you show a drastic improvement on your past 3 LSAT scores. Good luck and study your ass off!

Return to “LSAT Prep and Discussion Forum”