Sudden Dip in LR!

Prepare for the LSAT or discuss it with others in this forum.
jjlaw

Bronze

Sudden Dip in LR!

Postby jjlaw » Mon May 17, 2010 11:41 am

Hey all,

I've been pretty confident with LR, but for the last 2-3 PTs, I've missed on average 10 LR questions overall, whereas before I was missing about 4 total. It's really affecting my score, and with three weeks left, I'm a little worried about this. During the PT, I feel pretty confident about the questions, which scares me even more when I start scoring it and realize how much I've missed.

Does anyone have any advice on how to fix this? Thanks!

JJ

Atlas LSAT Teacher

Bronze

Re: Sudden Dip in LR!

Postby Atlas LSAT Teacher » Mon May 17, 2010 11:57 am

Your past performance may be making you too confident and so more likely to fall for simple traps. Focus on working from wrong-to-right, and don't fall in love with the first pretty answer that walks by -- instead say "I've probably been fooled, so let me find a better answer." This approach take a bit of willpower to implement, so start by trying it out on a single section, then a double, and then a full preptest. You have to coach yourself before starting that that is how you want to take that section.

Good luck!

gbpackerbacker

Silver

Postby gbpackerbacker » Mon May 17, 2010 12:08 pm

I had the same problem but on different proportions. In was averaging about 7 wrong per test on LR until I suddenly was batting at -10 or -11. First thing I did was look at the types of Q's I was missing. Before my "dark ages" I missed 3 flaw questions over about ten tests. In contrast, I missed 12 or 13 over 2.5 tests. Obviously I drilled flaw types (you can but packets online or sort them yourself), but also I read the summarization on every chapter in LGB, stressing the fundamentals. I still go to -7 sometimes, but most all of my tests (and my last 5) have been -4 or less. I plan to be averaging -3 or less on my next ten PTs.

Go back to the basics. Don't freak out. I am glad I started messing up because before I was content with -7, now that is wayy too much for me. Use this to gain some energy and momentum.

Good luck.

jjlaw

Bronze

Postby jjlaw » Mon May 17, 2010 12:49 pm

Thanks everyone! I will definitely slow down and go back to the basics. I think that I am not thinking as hard about each question as I should (cockiness) and just being sloppy in general because I miss most questions in the first 10, which is ridiculous. I will review my LR notes, do some practice sections and pay more attention in general.

Dinho

New

Postby Dinho » Mon May 17, 2010 12:52 pm

jjlaw wrote:Thanks everyone! I will definitely slow down and go back to the basics. I think that I am not thinking as hard about each question as I should (cockiness) and just being sloppy in general because I miss most questions in the first 10, which is ridiculous. I will review my LR notes, do some practice sections and pay more attention in general.

I think the fact that the majority of your mistakes come in the first 10 suggest that you're over-thinking. Maybe try the first ten questions of a section and review after each one so you get your thinking process for the easier questions back in shape.

jjlaw

Bronze

Postby jjlaw » Tue May 18, 2010 10:04 pm

Just did a practice LR section and missed 4 -- still not as good as I'm hoping for (-1/-2), but better than 10! I think I just need to be well rested and get back into my usual LR mode.

Is it possible to lose LR mojo? lol

Return to “LSAT Prep and Discussion Forum�