do you listen to any music when studying LSAT?

fenway

do you listen to any music when studying LSAT?

Postby fenway » Mon May 17, 2010 7:35 am

any music suggestions? im sure the opinions range from uppers to downers and all in between but it'd be cool to see what people have found helpful. i guess any reading material used for prep/post study would be interesting as well

Learning Hand

Re: do you listen to any music when studying LSAT?

Postby Learning Hand » Mon May 17, 2010 8:08 am

theavrock

Postby theavrock » Mon May 17, 2010 8:39 am

I don't listen to any during full length tests for obvious reasons, but when I was drilling sections I would listen to Explosions in the Sky and This Will Destroy You.

wonderer

Postby wonderer » Mon May 17, 2010 8:54 am

When I'm doing practice questions (not timed) I listen to soft classical/instrumental, especially piano, or even soundtrack music. Otherwise lyrics or a beat I could dance to would distract me while reading. So, for instance, I frequently listen to Bach's piano concertos and Satie's piano works as well. I either listen to them or the instrumental station on Pandora.

Or, if you're open to more new age music similar to the sounds of nature, try creating a "Deuter" station on Pandora. Very soothing music that may help one focus.

TOMaHULK

Postby TOMaHULK » Tue May 18, 2010 4:05 pm

During practice test, nothing.

During normal study or even review of practice test, I've been listening to sounds of nature (i.e. rain/thunderstorm/ocean surf). It relaxes me and helps me concentrate. But testing is different and for that nothing.

brickman

Postby brickman » Tue May 18, 2010 11:38 pm

Erik Satie's Piano Works are exceptionally mild and makes a great study companion. Also a good listen, Jose Gonzalez's Solo Piano. Both are very quiet and zone-out-able.

pu_golf88

Postby pu_golf88 » Tue May 18, 2010 11:40 pm

I don't listen to anything while studying because I'd get distracted otherwise.

Right now I'm studying and about to do a timed PT with my roommate and some friends drinking at my place as background noise. I figure it can only help my concentration.

ZombiesAhead

Postby ZombiesAhead » Wed May 19, 2010 2:30 pm

I find I can listen to nearly anything (pop, electronic, classical, vocal or non) when doing LG but vocals throw me off big time for RC and LR.

fenway

Postby fenway » Sat May 22, 2010 3:40 pm

theavrock wrote:I don't listen to any during full length tests for obvious reasons, but when I was drilling sections I would listen to Explosions in the Sky and This Will Destroy You.

--if you like those check out "God is an Astronaut"... Brian Eno's "Music for Airplanes" is pretty tight too

theavrock

Postby theavrock » Sat May 22, 2010 4:06 pm

fenway wrote:
theavrock wrote:I don't listen to any during full length tests for obvious reasons, but when I was drilling sections I would listen to Explosions in the Sky and This Will Destroy You.

--if you like those check out "God is an Astronaut"... Brian Eno's "Music for Airplanes" is pretty tight too

Nice. Thanks for the suggestions. I have been looking for some new instrumental stuff.

LSAT Blog

Postby LSAT Blog » Sat May 22, 2010 4:28 pm

theavrock wrote:
fenway wrote:

Nice. Thanks for the suggestions. I have been looking for some new instrumental stuff.

+1 on Explosions in the Sky

For more instrumental rock, try Mogwai, Royksopp, and Godspeed You Black Emperor.

Electronic might also work since it has no vocals. Try Aphex Twin and Boards of Canada.

Listening to the Eno album right now. More minimalist than I'm accustomed to, but probably good for folks who want something that more easily falls into the background.

-Steve

fenway

Postby fenway » Sun May 23, 2010 10:48 pm

nice adds

jjlaw

Postby jjlaw » Sun May 23, 2010 10:55 pm

I sometimes watch the Simpsons and Family Guy while practicing LG, but usually no noise for LR or RC. I could do LG in the middle of a concert; for some reason I just don't need silence for it. Maybe because the movements are so mechanical and not as much mental reasoning?

fenway

Postby fenway » Sun Jun 06, 2010 6:13 pm

"Naima" and "Central Park West" by John Coltrane. great if you are in an old library (especially Widener)

kevin261186

Postby kevin261186 » Tue Oct 26, 2010 7:22 pm

I love 'explosions in the sky', but have recently discovered 'the american dollar'. I find songs with lyrics distracting when studying, and you would do well to beat these two bands for instrumental arrangements.

incompetentia

Postby incompetentia » Tue Oct 26, 2010 7:31 pm

LSAT Blog wrote: Royksopp[...] Aphex Twin

Marry me.

longdaysjourney

Postby longdaysjourney » Tue Oct 26, 2010 8:03 pm

Image Image Image Image Image Image --ImageRemoved-- Image Image Image Image Image
&
Last edited by longdaysjourney on Tue Oct 26, 2010 8:10 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Shooter

Postby Shooter » Tue Oct 26, 2010 8:08 pm

Miles Davis, Dave Brubeck and the Dave Weckl Band are all great for studying.

I also find that listening to Nile helps me concentrate. I understand this is pretty atypical, but there's just something about tremolo picking at a constant 260 bpm with Egyptian motifs.

Return to “LSAT Prep and Discussion Forum”