Three weeks until the big day

maxm2764

Three weeks until the big day

Postby maxm2764 » Sun May 16, 2010 9:50 pm

So I'm taking the June test and am about to go into quarantine to raise my score as much as possible. My question to anyone who wants to answer is what are the chances that I can take my score from the mid to high 150's into the low 160's in three weeks? I've been studying since February and hope to get at least a 161 on the test day. Is this a reasonable goal that I can reach in three weeks? Also, what would you guys suggest that I focus my studying on, practice tests, individual sections, etc? Thanks for reading my frantic question and please if you guys have any suggestions I'm all ears.

bludvl_prelaw

Re: Three weeks until the big day

Postby bludvl_prelaw » Sun May 16, 2010 10:08 pm

Which section would you say is your weakest?

Going from a 156-157 to a 161 in three weeks is definitely doable. It's just a matter of answering a handful of questions correctly. The difference is large in terms of admissions, but as far as number of questions correct, it isn't.

maxm2764

Postby maxm2764 » Sun May 16, 2010 10:20 pm

I don't really have any section that is substantially weaker than the other they're pretty much equal. I'm hoping that if I put in some serious quality time luck will go my way on the day of this bastard. I spent all today doing LG sections and I definitely felt myself getting better by the end of my study session. Should I be taking more practice tests or should I just keep doing section both time and untimed? I've take probably 12 fully timed tests and have gone from a 148 to a 157 and I just need a couple more points. Thanks for the encouraging words and the quick response I definitely appreciate all the advice I can get at this point.

theavrock

Postby theavrock » Sun May 16, 2010 10:30 pm

At this point you should be doing 5 section full length timed tests that simulate test like conditions (coffee shop, library, somewhere you are not familiar with. This isn't the time to be drilling individual sections as your main source of practice. If you don't feel comfortable right now you might want to think about postponing.

I took June 2009 when I wasn't ready. My PT's werent where I wanted them to be and I hadn't practices like I should, but I thought well maybe I will do alright. I ended up with a 155. Not the worst thing in the world but I wish I would have waited until I was ready.

That being said to go from a 158 to a 163 is a difference of getting 7-9 more questions right. Not an easy task if you are struggling with all of the sections across the board.

Just my opinion of course. If you are intent on taking it in June I would suggest doing as many 5 section PT's as possible and then heavily reviewing and spending days you are not taking full lengths or reviewing to tighten up what you find to be the major problems are to gain those extra 7-9 answers.

maxm2764

Postby maxm2764 » Sun May 16, 2010 10:37 pm

Well I doubt I'll be postponing but I appreciate the advice. I will be taking more practice tests in the next few weeks but in between days that I take a test I was going to review/drill more sections. I have been drilling since February so I definitely have some good time under my belt I'm just hoping to make that final jump. So you think I should dump all drilling and just take straight practice tests?

theavrock

Postby theavrock » Sun May 16, 2010 10:57 pm

In my opinion you need to prepare yourself for the test. The best way to do that is with 5 section times tests. This way you can get an accurate gauge of where you are.

Drilling is good if you are still having problems with some of the concepts, but I would say its more important to work with full length tests. Don't drop drilling completely but use it to help with the problems you identify from your full length tests.

Sandro

Postby Sandro » Sun May 16, 2010 10:59 pm

Just took PT 36, got a 168. Missed 9 on LG. 3 weeks of LG review for me.

maxm2764

Postby maxm2764 » Sun May 16, 2010 11:10 pm

That sounds like a plan, full length tests it is. Thanks again for your suggestions it will absolutely help me get where I need to be in these next three weeks.

jnorsky

Postby jnorsky » Sun May 16, 2010 11:15 pm

This way definitely worked the best for me. When I was doing drills i was scoring low - mid 160's. Started only doing full length practice tests 2 or 3 times a week and going over the ones I got wrong or had trouble with the next day until I understood why I didnt get it right. Did this for a month and was in the mid 170's consistently by the test. Also, start with something like test 45 and work your way up to the most recent PT's, the newer ones are a little different.

bludvl_prelaw

Postby bludvl_prelaw » Sun May 16, 2010 11:33 pm

Since you have no section that's clearly weaker, I'd say go ahead and keep taking full-length exams to build up your "test endurance."

Whatever you do, MAKE SURE you time yourself. The challenge of the LSAT isn't really in the questions themselves; it's the time constraint. I feel like many people could master the LSAT if they were given twice or thrice as much time (especially true for the games, where there is only one unambiguously right answer).

Return to “LSAT Prep and Discussion Forum”