Can anyone explain this discrepancy?

iwanta170

Can anyone explain this discrepancy?

Postby iwanta170 » Sun May 16, 2010 12:34 pm

On a diagnostic I took last week, I got a 171 and missed 1 on RC
On a diagnostic I took today, I got a 168 and missed 8 on RC

Both times the RC was Section 4

Does difficulty of the RC vary from test to test? Does performance on this section depend on luck or what kind of day a person is having? I don't think I changed my strategy so I'm wondering why I did so poorly in comparison to the former test.

Edit: I noticed that in Reading Comprehension I went 10-0 on type 1 questions on the test where I only missed 1 (I'm using a resource that gives the breakdown of the types of questions missed), but I went 9-7 on type 1 questions in RC today, if this means anything..

One more edit: Also, if it means anything, today's diagnostic was taken after 1.5 days of rest from the LSAT, whereas on the one last week I had done timed sections the day before

iwanta170

Re: Can anyone explain this discrepancy?

Postby iwanta170 » Sun May 16, 2010 2:21 pm

I just went through the questions I missed and noticed I missed a lot of easy ones. I think my timing was a little behind so I felt rushed and as a result I made bad decisions.

So I'm changing my question to this--How can I improve my timing on RC? It always seems to be an issue with me. Often I go into the 4th passage with less than 7 minutes remaining

Presently I underline things I find important to help with retention, and thats ALL I do in terms of writing stuff down/making notes

Postby 09042014 » Sun May 16, 2010 2:23 pm

I improved my RC by timing individual passes to 8 minutes, and doing a bunch.

iwanta170

Postby iwanta170 » Sun May 16, 2010 2:53 pm

Desert Fox wrote:I improved my RC by timing individual passes to 8 minutes, and doing a bunch.

Does this really help with timing? I haven't done too many reading comprehension passages over the last few weeks because I figured if I just concentrated on logical reasoning, it would help my understanding of reading comprehension. I think it has indeed helped my understanding on RC, but not my timing unfortunately.

Do you do one passage at a time and then stop for a minute or 4 passages back to back?

Has anyone else found a strategy that improved their timing on RC significantly?

For some reason the first passage always kills my timing and puts me a minute behind my intended pace

Postby 09042014 » Sun May 16, 2010 3:05 pm

iwanta170 wrote:
Desert Fox wrote:I improved my RC by timing individual passes to 8 minutes, and doing a bunch.

Does this really help with timing? I haven't done too many reading comprehension passages over the last few weeks because I figured if I just concentrated on logical reasoning, it would help my understanding of reading comprehension. I think it has indeed helped my understanding on RC, but not my timing unfortunately.

Do you do one passage at a time and then stop for a minute or 4 passages back to back?

Has anyone else found a strategy that improved their timing on RC significantly?

For some reason the first passage always kills my timing and puts me a minute behind my intended pace

I did one after another for a couple hours. Maybe take a break for TLS, or to get a snack.

I was already good at RC, I just had timing problems. This helped.

Return to “LSAT Prep and Discussion Forum”