Going from 165-171 to 170s in Six Weeks... Possible? Help!!

PLATONiC

Going from 165-171 to 170s in Six Weeks... Possible? Help!!

Postby PLATONiC » Sat May 15, 2010 10:03 pm

Hey guys,

I'm working really hard on improving my score for the Asia June 2010 LSAT. I have exactly forty-two days until the exam is administered. The problem for me is that I've only reached 170+ once. I also took one after the wopping 171 score, but in the middle of it I quit, because my shoulder pains were a bit too much for me to handle.

How do 170+ LSAT takers do approximately six weeks before the test? Have any of you experienced consistent scores in the 170s about one month before the test? Or was it a six-week-long consistent 170+ test taking that eventually got you the 170+ test scdore on the day of the test?

[Update]

My scores:

PrepTest 38 - 169
PrepTest 39 - 168
PrepTest 40 - 167
PrepTest 41 - 171
PrepTest 42 - 171
PrepTest 43 - 170
PrepTest 44 - 168
PrepTest 45 - 169
Last edited by PLATONiC on Mon May 24, 2010 3:33 am, edited 2 times in total.

bk1

Re: Going from 165-171 to 170s in Six Weeks... Possible? Help!!

Postby bk1 » Sat May 15, 2010 10:47 pm

I'll tell you in 2 months. :P

But really, what part is giving you trouble? How long have you been studying?

PLATONiC

Postby PLATONiC » Sat May 15, 2010 10:56 pm

Are you taking the test too??

Well, I've been studying for a reaaaallly long time. Nine months, almost. This is because I have a full time job that consists of 55+ hours a week, and I sort of had to study at a slower pace. Lately, for the past three weeks, I've been taking three practice tests a week.

The biggest CHALLENGE to my entire LSAT prep regimen is my health. I'm developing a kind of neck pain that almost seems chronic. And it's worrying me. Despite the fact that I wear glasses, and have been told that the prescription I have is at the optimal level by various optometrists, I have a difficult time reading the small fonts on preptest. I have no choice but to curl my neck face down on the paper. The stress/pain has accumulated and now it hurts. So when my neck/shoulder pain isn't too bad, I hit high 160s (I've been scoring in this range for the past frour weeks), but if my physical condition is horrible, I get about 165.

I almost see the LSAT as a concentration test. I almost understand all of the material, but if I'm in bad shape, then I fail to see certain logical gaps in LR passages.

Oh yeah: my most recent PT raw score:

PT 40
LR: -1
LG: -2
RC: -5

d34d9823

Postby d34d9823 » Sat May 15, 2010 11:05 pm

Your assessment of the LSAT as a concentration test is right on. Once you can hit 170s, it's 90% mental discipline from that point forward.

A few thoughts on your situation:

Why can you not see the test? If you're at the right prescription, I would think you would have to have astigmatism or something.

Can you improve your ergonomics? E.g. bend your back instead of your neck or something.

Sorry if this is ignorant (I don't know your condition), but I would think that painkillers the morning of the test would be a magic bullet.

Are you regularly missing a lot on RC? RC and LG are the two easiest sections to improve on, ideally you would be able to go to -0s on these with enough study. LR is much more difficult to improve.

PLATONiC

Postby PLATONiC » Sat May 15, 2010 11:16 pm

d34dluk3 wrote:Why can you not see the test? If you're at the right prescription, I would think you would have to have astigmatism or something.

This. I was physicall unqualified to join the military during the mandatory military draft in my home country, so I'm currently serving as a public interest personnel.

d34dluk3 wrote:Sorry if this is ignorant (I don't know your condition), but I would think that painkillers the morning of the test would be a magic bullet.

This sounds like an awesome plan for me. Do you have any recommendations as to which pain killers I should take? I've never believed in pain killers... so I never take them unless I'm sick with a flu or something. Our family wasn't as well off, so all we had was tylenol when we're sick. That was pretty much it.

As to RC and LG being the easiest, I can see LG being easy. But nothing can be far from the truth for me when it comes to RC. The best I've done was -3, and I'm trying my best to reach -3. LR seems to be something that I naturally get, since I've always enjoyed thinking critically on small things, rather than trying to pull up a synthesis of ideas. I've gotten -0 on both LG and LR, but never on RC, and I doubt that I'll ever be able to. I always thought my English was better than what the average American's would be, but the LSAT is truly a humbling experience for me...

But when it comes to the actual question that I asked on the original post, do I have a good chance of pulling a 170+ score in six weeks? Some anecdotal evidence would be great:D

bk1

Postby bk1 » Sat May 15, 2010 11:24 pm

Talk to a doctor about what sort of medication would best alleviate your symptoms (Ibuprofen, Acetaminophen, Aspirin, etc).

I know nothing about this, but if the font is that hard for you to read, is it possible to talk to LSAC and get accommodations for this, such as a test printed in a larger font?

7ED

Postby 7ED » Sat May 15, 2010 11:30 pm

stop worrying and u'll be fine. 6 weeks is more than enough time to get a 170 if u start out with 165.

d34d9823

Postby d34d9823 » Sat May 15, 2010 11:34 pm

PLATONiC wrote:This sounds like an awesome plan for me. Do you have any recommendations as to which pain killers I should take? I've never believed in pain killers... so I never take them unless I'm sick with a flu or something. Our family wasn't as well off, so all we had was tylenol when we're sick. That was pretty much it.

I like Ibuprofen. There's stronger stuff you need a prescription for, but that usually makes you loopy. I would try a few over the counter painkillers on your PTs to find one that works and doesn't screw with your mind.

PLATONiC wrote:As to RC and LG being the easiest, I can see LG being easy. But nothing can be far from the truth for me when it comes to RC. The best I've done was -3, and I'm trying my best to reach -3. LR seems to be something that I naturally get, since I've always enjoyed thinking critically on small things, rather than trying to pull up a synthesis of ideas. I've gotten -0 on both LG and LR, but never on RC, and I doubt that I'll ever be able to.

My perspective: RC is the easiest, if I miss an RC I'm pissed. Why? Because there's not actually any subtle reasoning going on (in most questions), you just regurgitate what the passage says.

This is obviously not your perspective. When you read a short passage, do you come out with a feeling of understanding of what the writer's goals, main points, views on the topic. etc. were? If not, this is what you need to work on. I would just get articles from WSJ, The Economist, etc., print them out, read them, and then try to write out a really good summary of what the author thinks, what his main points in the piece are, what he's trying to accomplish, how he's trying to get you to agree with him, etc.

PLATONiC wrote:I always thought my English was better than what the average American's would be, but the LSAT is truly a humbling experience for me...

Don't think this way. You are awesome compared to the average. Everyone gets depressed when they realize there are people out there who are way, way smarter (and this is true for 99.99% of people). You are scoring in the top 5% of a test given to people who are already self selected for career ambition (and thus likely to be intelligent). That's really good!

PLATONiC wrote:But when it comes to the actual question that I asked on the original post, do I have a good chance of pulling a 170+ score in six weeks? Some anecdotal evidence would be great:D

I think it could be reasonable if you work hard. 6 weeks is 42 days. That's still enough time to take all the practice tests if you go hard. (Note: don't do this).

I think if you take a test at least every other day and work on your weaknesses, it's doable. Also, I'm not really finding it credible that 3 months of study is any better than 6 weeks. Diminishing returns kick in pretty quickly once you know the material.

I don't have a score yet either, but in about a month of practicing so far, I've pushed my average from 174 to 179, so it seems doable.

PLATONiC

Postby PLATONiC » Sat May 15, 2010 11:52 pm

The biggest problem that I have with RC is actually the only one: Being able to comprehend the material in such a short time period. I try my best to finish reading a passage before 3 minutes and 15 seconds.

But lately, I've been trying my best to relate (if possible) all my answer choices to the main point of the article. I do in fact keep in track of the author's opinions as well as critics/proponents. I think I just need to learn to calm down and practice the rhythm.

I'm also relying on a -0 for LG, since LG supposedly gets easier (what's your opinion of this?). I'm taking PT 42 tomorrow, and have all the other PTs distributed through LSAC... only if I knew amazon sells that at a cheaper price when purchased in bulk... blah..

Ibuprofen... I'll look into that.

I don't plan on trying to have LSAC accomodate this problem of mine; I see it as something that I'll need to overcome. I'm already receiving physical therapy for it, but there's really no effect. The problem is the kind of workload and stress that I go through in conjunction with the inevitable terrible posture that I have when going through practice tests. My doctor suggests that these symptoms will probably disappear after I'm done with the test. I hope so.

I have a 3.42 GPA (LSAC) right now, with good grade trends toward the end, since at the end of my sophomore year I had a 3.05 or something ridiculous like that. I would be so god damn happy if I got like a 173... your 179 sounds so nice :( Would I be able to get into MVP if not Cornell/GULC with a 171/3.42???? I'm worried.

d34d9823

Postby d34d9823 » Sun May 16, 2010 12:10 am

PLATONiC wrote:But lately, I've been trying my best to relate (if possible) all my answer choices to the main point of the article. I do in fact keep in track of the author's opinions as well as critics/proponents.

I like what you said here. To go a little farther, I want to have that feeling that I know the author: know his opinions, his rhetorical style, what he thinks of the guy he's refuting, all that kind of stuff. I want to feel like I could get a beer with him and discuss the issue he wrote about without missing a beat.

PLATONiC wrote:I'm also relying on a -0 for LG, since LG supposedly gets easier (what's your opinion of this?).

LG is maybe easier, it's definitely different. On a relative difficulty scale of 1-10, the old tests have 4 games of like 4,5,6,7. The newer tests have 2,3,5,9. It's not really harder overall, but you can tell they're trying to differentiate their test takers. I have a feeling they saw too many bimodal distributions on LG in the past.

PLATONiC wrote:Would I be able to get into MVP if not Cornell/GULC with a 171/3.42???? I'm worried.

You probably know these already, but the three best sites are lawschoolnumbers, lawschoolpredictor, and hourumd.

Going off LSP (http://www.lawschoolpredictor.com/wp-co ... ograms.htm), 171/3.42 gives you a definite shot at MVP. You are going to be close to a splitter, so those few points from 168-172 are crucial.

Another thing I don't think people realize is how big of a deal date of application and ED are. If I was in your shoes, I would get my applications in the day the window opens and ED to either Michigan or Virginia.

PLATONiC

Postby PLATONiC » Sun May 16, 2010 1:14 am

Thank you Mr Lion.

Above all else, what you said about RC 'simply regurgitating' the material presented throughout the passage, resounds in my head. I think what's important is for me to deveop the kind of confidence displayed in those statements. I'm going to try and simplify my attitude towards reading these passages...

As to LSP, I still have a problem, and maybe this is due to this risk averse personality that I have (I got ZERO loans during undergrad; I worked 40+ hours a week during semesters and I have no regrets because I have no loans), and the "CONSIDER" prediction really makes me feel like it's a rejection. Perhaps it's the human tendancy to seek subjective reassurance and what not...

bk1

Postby bk1 » Sun May 16, 2010 1:20 am

It's reasonable to worry about admissions, especially as a splitter. I would say that the only guarantees you will get will be the letters in the mail and just put it out of your mind and to focus on what you can control. Just get that LSAT as high as you can. :)

d34d9823

Postby d34d9823 » Sun May 16, 2010 11:20 pm

bk1 wrote:It's reasonable to worry about admissions, especially as a splitter. I would say that the only guarantees you will get will be the letters in the mail and just put it out of your mind and to focus on what you can control. Just get that LSAT as high as you can. :)

TITCR.

Also, consider is supposed to represent ~50% chance of getting in. So do your best on your apps, apply to more schools than just your top choice, and you'll be fine.

Sandro

Postby Sandro » Sun May 16, 2010 11:33 pm

I took PT 36 today. I missed 14 questions, and 9 on LG. Im going over the LG and I immediately see what I missed and what I should had done. Ugh.

Mr. Pablo

Postby Mr. Pablo » Sun May 16, 2010 11:51 pm

OP, I doubt I could give you better advice about the test than has already been given, but I do want to support the idea of ibuprofen. Tylenol does something to deaden nerves, but ibuprofen actually acts as and anti-inflammatory.
I'm not a doctor, so take this with a bit of salt: I have had a lot of back and neck pain over the years and ibuprofen has worked wonders, but when my pains have been really severe I take a good bit more than is recommended. I don't do it a lot, but every so often I'll take something like 1600mg in a single go and it really does the trick- the thing is to be sure that you eat with it. Ibuprofen in large amounts will cause your body to produce a large quantity of stomach acid, and that can cause heartburn, so eat a good portion of food and have something with calcium in it to counteract the HCl.

PLATONiC

Postby PLATONiC » Mon May 17, 2010 8:17 pm

I think the self-medicating approach (i.e. 1600mg) would be interesting. I have a feeling that the recommended dose might be much lower than what an extremely risky dose would be.

But for what it's worth, I hit 171 once again yesterday. I'm feeling good about that, but just like any PT'er, I feel like it might be a fluke. I'll ahve to get 170+ a good ten more times to feel secure.

d34d9823

Postby d34d9823 » Mon May 17, 2010 8:54 pm

PLATONiC wrote:I think the self-medicating approach (i.e. 1600mg) would be interesting. I have a feeling that the recommended dose might be much lower than what an extremely risky dose would be.

But for what it's worth, I hit 171 once again yesterday. I'm feeling good about that, but just like any PT'er, I feel like it might be a fluke. I'll ahve to get 170+ a good ten more times to feel secure.

Dude, don't take more than the recommended dose without talking to your doctor. Seriously, it's a terrible idea.

Also, grats on the 171!

PLATONiC

Postby PLATONiC » Wed May 19, 2010 1:22 am

d34dluk3 wrote:
PLATONiC wrote:I think the self-medicating approach (i.e. 1600mg) would be interesting. I have a feeling that the recommended dose might be much lower than what an extremely risky dose would be.

Dude, don't take more than the recommended dose without talking to your doctor. Seriously, it's a terrible idea.

Also, grats on the 171!

Thanks! I got a 170 today as well!

Preptest 43
LR: -2
LR: -3
LG: -0
RC: -7

I think two things really hurt my performance on RC, which were 1. using the actual LSAC test booklet as opposed to using "copied" versions of either the cambridge LSAT printable PTs or the Actual Official series, and 2. having a huge fight with my gf. I'm still feeling optimistic about my prospects for a good score insofar as I learn to calm down and focus on reading the passage effectively. After all, we're only asked to regurgitate what's being said on those passages.

bk1

Postby bk1 » Wed May 19, 2010 2:04 am

PLATONiC wrote:Thanks! I got a 170 today as well!

Preptest 43

I think two things really hurt my performance on RC, which were 1. using the actual LSAC test booklet as opposed to using "copied" versions of either the cambridge LSAT printable PTs or the Actual Official series, and 2. having a huge fight with my gf. I'm still feeling optimistic about my prospects for a good score insofar as I learn to calm down and focus on reading the passage effectively. After all, we're only asked to regurgitate what's being said on those passages.

Grats on the 170! Why do you think using the LSAC booklet over the printed test/LSAC 10 test series/etc hurt you? And I think getting a 170 in spite of the fight means that you are on track.

Also, are you planning on doing all the PT's prior to the test? If so, good luck as I am trying the same (though you are a few ahead of me and have more time due to taking it in Asia :P).

BigA

Postby BigA » Wed May 19, 2010 2:27 am

I'll be curious how the test for you goes in Asia. I'll probably be re-taking there in October

PLATONiC

Postby PLATONiC » Wed May 19, 2010 3:49 am

Have you already taken a test at Yonsei before? I'm really curious about how the test center is and what not. Well, I could technically visit the university on my breakday from work, which I will do, but that's still very different from how testday would be. Could you please tell me about it?

PLATONiC

Postby PLATONiC » Wed May 19, 2010 3:52 am

bk1 wrote:
PLATONiC wrote:Thanks! I got a 170 today as well!

Preptest 43

Grats on the 170! Why do you think using the LSAC booklet over the printed test/LSAC 10 test series/etc hurt you? And I think getting a 170 in spite of the fight means that you are on track.

Also, are you planning on doing all the PT's prior to the test? If so, good luck as I am trying the same (though you are a few ahead of me and have more time due to taking it in Asia :P).

Thanks! I'll be taking the test in Asia too. The Korea LSAT at Yonsei on June 27. Yes, I will be completing all the practice tests... on a 55+ hour workweek up until test day (three five-section PTs/week)! But that's an over-exaggeration. I'll be taking about five days off on the two weeks preceding the exams, so I'll be good. How's your LSAT prep going? Could you tell me how your RC is doing?

edit: Using the test booklet made me kind of nervous, and I noticed that I was doing things differently here and there during the test. Like I'd get quirks in my head once in a while and snap out of it. This test is such a pivotal stage in my life that even the little things really bother me. For instance, I can't stand taking a practice test unless I'm using my Dixon Ticonderoga pencils that my girlfriend (actually, fiance) bought for me.

bk1

Postby bk1 » Wed May 19, 2010 4:33 am

RC is going well, probably due to my natural affinity for reading, but my weakest point is LR. I usually make stupid errors on LR. Thankfully my scores have been improving since the first PT I took (the average of my last 10 PT's is 4 points higher than the average for the first 10 PT's I took). Aiming for perfect score and the pipedream that is a T6 for me, but will be content with a decent score in the 170's.

My main concern at this point is the change in difficulty for the later PT's (in addition to finishing up the rest of the PT's before June 7th for me), especially the new LG question in the past few tests (even though it is only 1 question, at 170+ 1 question almost always means 1 point).

PLATONiC

Postby PLATONiC » Wed May 19, 2010 4:38 am

Man... so you're aiming for a perfect score, eh?

That's inspiring in a way, and makes me feel like I ought to push myself a little more. I doubt that I could ever get -0 or even -1 on RC, but... I think I could make this as my goal:

RC: -3

Perhaps that could yield mid 170s for sure:D

BigA

Postby BigA » Wed May 19, 2010 4:39 am

PLATONiC wrote:Have you already taken a test at Yonsei before? I'm really curious about how the test center is and what not. Well, I could technically visit the university on my breakday from work, which I will do, but that's still very different from how testday would be. Could you please tell me about it?

No. I haven't taken it. But if I need to re-take, which I expect I will, I will take it in Hong Kong because that will be the closest center to me in October. I'd just like to know how it goes for you. Someone on these boards SWORE that games are harder in Asia, because Asians are so good at them. It's probably retarded, but still makes me nervous

Return to “LSAT Prep and Discussion Forum”