Insightful Books Forum

Prepare for the LSAT or discuss it with others in this forum.
txlawstudent

New

Insightful Books

Post by txlawstudent » Sat May 15, 2010 4:21 am

I was wondering if anyone could suggest any books or literary works that discuss logic and reasoning skills and how to improve them. I'm not talking about LSAT prep books, but more along the lines of any books that you may have come across that you feel really helped improve your critical thinking, logic, reasoning skills, or overall intelligence. With school out I am trying to create a summer reading list of books that could supplement my lsat studies that are not droll or necessarily test preparation books. I thinking of books along the lines of:

How to Read a Book by Mortimer J. Adler
Freakanomics by Steven D. Levitt
Influence: The Psychology of Persuasion by Robert B. Cialdini
How to win friends and influence people by Dale Carnige

Any recommendations for books that you feel really helped you grow intellectually or build skills that assisted you in your legal studies would be appreciated. Thanks!

quickquestionthanks

Silver

Re: Insightful Books

Post by quickquestionthanks » Sat May 15, 2010 4:27 am

I've read Freakonomics and Superfreakonomics. Both very interesting reads, and while I don't think they're going to help you on the LSAT, you can read them in a day or two. The theme behind them is pretty critical in understanding how the world works, so I'd go so far as saying you should probably read them, at the least the first one. I'd bet you find it at a used book store for a couple bucks since it was so popular.

My friend told me that after he starting reading a philosophy book, his RC score went from -2/3 to -0/1.

longdaysjourney

Bronze

Post by longdaysjourney » Sat May 15, 2010 3:43 pm

Read "The Magus" by John Fowles or "The Alexandria Quartet" by Lawrence Durrell, I know a guy that read these books and went from a 119 to a 186.

F458JE

New

Post by F458JE » Sat May 15, 2010 3:53 pm

Freakonomics is a joke. The author is a blatant hypocrite and it shows in the book itself. Intelligent people will quickly discover this in reading the book, but the mainstream public obviously have not due to the huge popularity of the book.

Read the review by Lawrence Kwong.
http://www.amazon.com/Freakonomics-Econ ... addOneStar

Speaking from experience, you would be a lot better off if you focused on using PrepTests for studying for the LSAT. General logic books are not going to be worth your time. Save books like that for the summer before you go to law school.

quasi-stellar

New

Post by quasi-stellar » Sat May 15, 2010 7:17 pm

F458JE wrote:Freakonomics is a joke. The author is a blatant hypocrite and it shows in the book itself.
A classic :)

I read Immanuel Kant a lot recently... kind of made me able to do LR sections in 32 minutes with -2 or so :P

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Return to “LSAT Prep and Discussion Forum”