Score dips

jarofsoup
Posts: 1952
Joined: Tue Jul 01, 2008 2:41 am

Score dips

Postby jarofsoup » Thu May 13, 2010 1:35 am

Hello,

I have anxiety about my test score a bit. My highest reported score is a 154. I have been practice testing very high this time around my highest a 171 and on average a 166. However, the last week I have gotten a 162 on two tests. Is this dip in score normal.


I have also noticed that my raw score is pretty consistent around 80-89. But the scaling screws me on certain tests.

Anyone else experience this?

I am having some test anxiety.

madcherrylimas
Posts: 40
Joined: Sun Nov 08, 2009 12:41 pm

Re: Score dips

Postby madcherrylimas » Thu May 13, 2010 3:14 am

it may be that you're just too nervous and studying too hard. your brain needs a break. seriously. I did a practice test everyday and watched my score drop from 172 to like 162 in three days and panicked. You also need to eat enough protein. I happened to go vegetarian for a couple days and saw a significant drop in my scores.

edinbourgh
Posts: 43
Joined: Sun Jan 20, 2008 9:04 am

Re: Score dips

Postby edinbourgh » Thu May 13, 2010 3:33 am

It sounds like burnout to me. Or less likely an outlier (unlikely since it happened twice). If your raw score has been pretty consistent so far, just take some time off to relax and you'll be able to come back refreshed.

User avatar
PLATONiC
Posts: 358
Joined: Mon Oct 05, 2009 8:13 pm

Re: Score dips

Postby PLATONiC » Thu May 13, 2010 4:15 am

It really sounds like burnout. But it might also be the case that you simply don't fully understand the material yet. Keep workin at it, because score dips happened to me many times. I made the mistake of letting it get to my head, and it made my scores even worse.

What PTs are you drilling on? I'm also thinking that it might be because you're transitioning into the newer PTs? I don't know. We need more information in order to determine what the cause of this score dip is.

jarofsoup
Posts: 1952
Joined: Tue Jul 01, 2008 2:41 am

Re: Score dips

Postby jarofsoup » Thu May 13, 2010 11:16 am

PLATONiC wrote:It really sounds like burnout. But it might also be the case that you simply don't fully understand the material yet. Keep workin at it, because score dips happened to me many times. I made the mistake of letting it get to my head, and it made my scores even worse.

What PTs are you drilling on? I'm also thinking that it might be because you're transitioning into the newer PTs? I don't know. We need more information in order to determine what the cause of this score dip is.



I take am getting into the modern practice test. My first 162 was on 54 and my last 162 was on like 14.

The good news on the new tests is that I do good on the LG, but a 170 on 54 is like a
-9. I got an 82 which was a 162. looking back I made a lot of stupid mistakes on the LR I think it is burn out. I get sick looking at the problems.

But I got a 169 on 53 so that concerned me.

I am going to take a break, still got a lot of time.

User avatar
iwanta170
Posts: 445
Joined: Sat Apr 24, 2010 2:27 pm

Re: Score dips

Postby iwanta170 » Thu May 13, 2010 7:08 pm

I think I'm having the same problem..

Got a 171 on a practice test yesterday but today I feel dead for some reason and don't feel like doing much. I did 3 timed sections today (2 LR and 1 Games) and did much worse than usual overall.

How long of a "break" should I take so I can come back refreshed?

User avatar
Ragged
Posts: 1509
Joined: Wed Oct 21, 2009 12:39 pm

Re: Score dips

Postby Ragged » Thu May 13, 2010 7:13 pm

Check your room for wet paint or some other chemicals.

jarofsoup
Posts: 1952
Joined: Tue Jul 01, 2008 2:41 am

Re: Score dips

Postby jarofsoup » Thu May 13, 2010 8:46 pm

iwanta170 wrote:I think I'm having the same problem..

Got a 171 on a practice test yesterday but today I feel dead for some reason and don't feel like doing much. I did 3 timed sections today (2 LR and 1 Games) and did much worse than usual overall.

How long of a "break" should I take so I can come back refreshed?



I am taking off till monday. Still practicing logic games though. I think I am going to get drunk a couple time to, that usually helps some what for me.

User avatar
BigA
Posts: 448
Joined: Sun Nov 22, 2009 7:22 am

Re: Score dips

Postby BigA » Thu May 13, 2010 9:00 pm

can someone explain "burnout" to me. I don't understand how studying too much can make your score go down. I plan on studying virtually non-stop until the test June 7.

But yes, score dips happen to me too. For example, I experienced a huge one recently. I attribute that to much harder RC in the tests in the forties :roll:

jarofsoup
Posts: 1952
Joined: Tue Jul 01, 2008 2:41 am

Re: Score dips

Postby jarofsoup » Thu May 13, 2010 9:02 pm

BigA wrote:can someone explain "burnout" to me. I don't understand how studying too much can make your score go down. I plan on studying virtually non-stop until the test June 7.

But yes, score dips happen to me too. For example, I experienced a huge one recently. I attribute that to much harder RC in the tests in the forties :roll:



Its when you understand the material, but you cant really get into the test and 100% of your mistakes are stupid. For me I start to loose speed and also fail to see the suttle things in problems and it mostly effects my LR score.

edinbourgh
Posts: 43
Joined: Sun Jan 20, 2008 9:04 am

Re: Score dips

Postby edinbourgh » Thu May 13, 2010 9:25 pm

jarofsoup wrote:
I think I am going to get drunk a couple time to, that usually helps some what for me.


+1. That is what is helping me stay sane with all this lsat studying.




Return to “LSAT Prep and Discussion Forum”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 2 guests