Do you think I could go from a 160-170 in 3 weeks?

fsugirl824
Posts: 14
Joined: Sat Oct 03, 2009 2:10 am

Re: Do you think I could go from a 160-170 in 3 weeks?

Postby fsugirl824 » Thu May 13, 2010 8:03 pm

The reason I'm avoiding the October exam is because I have a Fulbright for the following year in Bangladesh; they don't offer the LSAT there, so the closest place I could take it is in India. I'd have to obtain permission from my Fulbright director, but it could be done.

Do you all think it would/could be worth it?

hairy_pussy
Posts: 18
Joined: Thu May 13, 2010 8:06 pm

Re: Do you think I could go from a 160-170 in 3 weeks?

Postby hairy_pussy » Thu May 13, 2010 8:14 pm

never listen to these statements - "one need at least 3 months to score 170+" or "In three weeks you can maximum improve 10 points"- Always remember, Everything is possible and no preparation can guarantee anything ultimately everything is the test day-How you perform on this day- that is the key

User avatar
BigA
Posts: 448
Joined: Sun Nov 22, 2009 7:22 am

Re: Do you think I could go from a 160-170 in 3 weeks?

Postby BigA » Thu May 13, 2010 8:16 pm

fsugirl824 wrote:The reason I'm avoiding the October exam is because I have a Fulbright for the following year in Bangladesh; they don't offer the LSAT there, so the closest place I could take it is in India. I'd have to obtain permission from my Fulbright director, but it could be done.

Do you all think it would/could be worth it?


board's acting funky. Wouldn't alet me access the site for a while there. Anyway, my instinct would be to take it in June, then retake if you didn't hit it out of the park. I am probably going to be taking the October LSAT out of the country as well, as a retake. I'm a little nervous about that. At least one person on these boards thought the tests out of the country are harder (or more specifically that the games given in Asia are harder). Hopefully that's bs, but still worries me.

cubswin
Posts: 618
Joined: Mon May 25, 2009 4:40 pm

Re: Do you think I could go from a 160-170 in 3 weeks?

Postby cubswin » Thu May 13, 2010 8:17 pm

How is your Reading Comp? If it's not where it needs to be, I don't think you can improve quickly enough.

fsugirl824
Posts: 14
Joined: Sat Oct 03, 2009 2:10 am

Re: Do you think I could go from a 160-170 in 3 weeks?

Postby fsugirl824 » Thu May 13, 2010 8:26 pm

I had no idea that the test would be different in Asia! I think my LR is strongest, followed by RC and LG.

I feel like I'm going to have a meltdown. :oops:

User avatar
BigA
Posts: 448
Joined: Sun Nov 22, 2009 7:22 am

Re: Do you think I could go from a 160-170 in 3 weeks?

Postby BigA » Thu May 13, 2010 8:46 pm

fsugirl824 wrote:I had no idea that the test would be different in Asia! I think my LR is strongest, followed by RC and LG.

I feel like I'm going to have a meltdown. :oops:


Theoretically, it shouldn't be any different. I forget the thread but someone on here was convinced games in Asia are harder. Like I said, it's probably bs. I'd still take it in USA in June, just to be safe. I'm in the same boat.

User avatar
traehekat
Posts: 3195
Joined: Thu Apr 30, 2009 4:00 pm

Re: Do you think I could go from a 160-170 in 3 weeks?

Postby traehekat » Thu May 13, 2010 8:52 pm

hairy_pussy wrote:never listen to these statements - "one need at least 3 months to score 170+" or "In three weeks you can maximum improve 10 points"- Always remember, Everything is possible and no preparation can guarantee anything ultimately everything is the test day-How you perform on this day- that is the key


Gee, I wish I lived in Never Never Land, too...

fsugirl824
Posts: 14
Joined: Sat Oct 03, 2009 2:10 am

Re: Do you think I could go from a 160-170 in 3 weeks?

Postby fsugirl824 » Thu May 13, 2010 10:26 pm

Thank you everyone! I'm going to take another PT tonight and see how it goes.

User avatar
bk1
Posts: 18401
Joined: Sun Mar 14, 2010 7:06 pm

Re: Do you think I could go from a 160-170 in 3 weeks?

Postby bk1 » Thu May 13, 2010 11:02 pm

hairy_pussy wrote:never listen to these statements - "one need at least 3 months to score 170+" or "In three weeks you can maximum improve 10 points"- Always remember, Everything is possible and no preparation can guarantee anything ultimately everything is the test day-How you perform on this day- that is the key


ITT: Poster with absurd user name ignores the entire discipline of statistics.

Sandro
Posts: 2526
Joined: Sat Jul 18, 2009 12:12 am

Re: Do you think I could go from a 160-170 in 3 weeks?

Postby Sandro » Fri May 14, 2010 12:45 am

160-170 isnt that perposterous in 3 weeks. Depends on the situation. I'm scorind mid/low 160's with an avg of -11 LG. Recently i've gotten a LOT better with LGs (spec. recent ones) and shaving a good amount of incorrect answers off my score could put me in 170s... so its not outrageous.

User avatar
traehekat
Posts: 3195
Joined: Thu Apr 30, 2009 4:00 pm

Re: Do you think I could go from a 160-170 in 3 weeks?

Postby traehekat » Fri May 14, 2010 1:07 am

Sandro777 wrote:160-170 isnt that perposterous in 3 weeks. Depends on the situation. I'm scorind mid/low 160's with an avg of -11 LG. Recently i've gotten a LOT better with LGs (spec. recent ones) and shaving a good amount of incorrect answers off my score could put me in 170s... so its not outrageous.


Well, like a few of us have said, if your problem is LG then it is possible. LG is the most learnable portion of the LSAT.

User avatar
MURPH
Posts: 854
Joined: Wed Dec 10, 2008 12:20 am

Re: Do you think I could go from a 160-170 in 3 weeks?

Postby MURPH » Fri May 14, 2010 1:15 am

You can improve your logic games in three weeks. I was an LSAT tutor for a while. None of my students improved 10 points in three weeks but a few improved 5 points in just a couple of days when they learned to diagram games properly. Imporvements of 7 - 10 points are pretty reasonable if you are a beginner who is just learning to time yourself and diagram and learn the rules of the LSAT.

Even if you only score in the high 160's you will be better off retaking in June instead of waiting.

If you have been studying for a while and you're still maxing out around 160 then you might want to wait. It took me 9 months of tutoring others and studying myself to go from 170 to 175. Diminishing returns.

cubswin
Posts: 618
Joined: Mon May 25, 2009 4:40 pm

Re: Do you think I could go from a 160-170 in 3 weeks?

Postby cubswin » Fri May 14, 2010 1:46 pm

bk1 wrote:
hairy_pussy wrote:never listen to these statements - "one need at least 3 months to score 170+" or "In three weeks you can maximum improve 10 points"- Always remember, Everything is possible and no preparation can guarantee anything ultimately everything is the test day-How you perform on this day- that is the key


ITT: Poster with absurd user name ignores the entire discipline of statistics.


Who needs statistics when you have platitudes about positive-thinking?

User avatar
bk1
Posts: 18401
Joined: Sun Mar 14, 2010 7:06 pm

Re: Do you think I could go from a 160-170 in 3 weeks?

Postby bk1 » Fri May 14, 2010 6:22 pm

Nobody here is saying that 160-170 is impossible. We're just saying that it isn't likely in that period of time. Could it happen? Of course, but I wouldn't count on it.

Though I'll agree with Sandro777, in that if you're missing a bunch on LG and correct this within 3 weeks then that is the most likely way to go from 160-170 in a short period of time.

sangr
Posts: 459
Joined: Sun Jun 07, 2009 4:45 pm

Re: Do you think I could go from a 160-170 in 3 weeks?

Postby sangr » Fri May 14, 2010 7:49 pm

MURPH wrote:You can improve your logic games in three weeks. I was an LSAT tutor for a while. None of my students improved 10 points in three weeks but a few improved 5 points in just a couple of days when they learned to diagram games properly. Imporvements of 7 - 10 points are pretty reasonable if you are a beginner who is just learning to time yourself and diagram and learn the rules of the LSAT.

Even if you only score in the high 160's you will be better off retaking in June instead of waiting.

If you have been studying for a while and you're still maxing out around 160 then you might want to wait. It took me 9 months of tutoring others and studying myself to go from 170 to 175. Diminishing returns.


you mention your tutoring experience boosting you up to 175. Can i ask you then, do you think its bullshit about the prevailing opinion of these boards that...for example..people say " How many PTs do you have left? The amount of PTs you have left may indicate how much more you can improve"

Because by being a tutor im guessing you resaw the material over and over...

JasonR
Posts: 421
Joined: Fri Jan 01, 2010 9:09 am

Re: Do you think I could go from a 160-170 in 3 weeks?

Postby JasonR » Fri May 14, 2010 7:57 pm

sangr wrote:" How many PTs do you have left? The amount of PTs you have left may indicate how much more you can improve"


Anyone who says that is an idiot.

If you're almost out of fresh PTs, you will soon lose your ability to accurately gauge your performance (in a practice setting, at least) on a 5-section LSAT. You will also have to let some time pass between retakes to lose your familiarity with questions. But unless you are knocking out a -0 on every test 3 months after you took it the first time, you still have something to gain from the old PTs.

h4rryp0tter
Posts: 26
Joined: Tue Jan 22, 2008 10:18 pm

Re: Do you think I could go from a 160-170 in 3 weeks?

Postby h4rryp0tter » Fri May 14, 2010 8:13 pm

im averaging a 157~ I need at least a 170. If I study 10 hours a day for the next 3 weeks is this attainable? Also, if I study all summer long will it most likely improve my score moreso than if I studied hard hardcore these next 3 weeks? Im trying to get the highest score possible...it doesnt matter when I take it...but I am worried that if I take it in October and I somehow bomb it for some odd reason, then Im screwed. I am wondering maybe taking the June lsat and then cancelling my score would be the best because then I get practice with the anxiety factor. What do ya'all think?

User avatar
bk1
Posts: 18401
Joined: Sun Mar 14, 2010 7:06 pm

Re: Do you think I could go from a 160-170 in 3 weeks?

Postby bk1 » Fri May 14, 2010 8:31 pm

h4rryp0tter wrote:im averaging a 157~ I need at least a 170. If I study 10 hours a day for the next 3 weeks is this attainable? Also, if I study all summer long will it most likely improve my score moreso than if I studied hard hardcore these next 3 weeks? Im trying to get the highest score possible...it doesnt matter when I take it...but I am worried that if I take it in October and I somehow bomb it for some odd reason, then Im screwed. I am wondering maybe taking the June lsat and then cancelling my score would be the best because then I get practice with the anxiety factor. What do ya'all think?


How many are you missing on LG? If correcting all these would push your PT's over 170 then I think you have a shot. If not then I'm not entirely sure you can realiably break 170 in the short time period. If you wait till October you will have a better shot. And you also have December as a backup, albeit not the best but still an option.

fenway
Posts: 178
Joined: Thu Mar 25, 2010 12:30 pm

Re: Do you think I could go from a 160-170 in 3 weeks?

Postby fenway » Fri May 14, 2010 8:49 pm

10 hours a day? really? i respect your ambition but that seems a little lofty. nonetheless, you are better off not setting such a rigid goal. just study as much as you can for 3 weeks, take a final practice test, see how you do, and if you are somewhat close to your mark then take the test--if not, take a job for a year and keep at it. thinking about/predicting your score is going to do little to change it. also, this site can create some distorted expectations as far as the LSAT goes. if everyone could put his or her head down and drive through to a 170, it wouldn't be the 98% percentile. not saying you should shy from giving it your best shot, but it'd probably serve you well to take some pressure of yourself. you don't need a 170 in the same way you don't need to go to a particular school. if you haven't enrolled (much less graduated) in law school yet there is no conceivable way you could rationally form such a strict path for your life. you haven't taken a single law class, how could you possibly know what you want to study let alone pursue professionally? i don't mean any of this derisively, i just think you might want to be aware of the less than hopeful bind you are placing yourself in. best of luck though (be easy)

fenway
Posts: 178
Joined: Thu Mar 25, 2010 12:30 pm

Re: Do you think I could go from a 160-170 in 3 weeks?

Postby fenway » Fri May 14, 2010 9:05 pm

**for the exceptions to what I said about significant (and in this case rapid) improvement on the LSAT, props, you're a g. unfortunately, not everyone can be a g thus people like the OP should take any anecdotes with a nice swig of brine

h4rryp0tter
Posts: 26
Joined: Tue Jan 22, 2008 10:18 pm

Re: Do you think I could go from a 160-170 in 3 weeks?

Postby h4rryp0tter » Fri May 14, 2010 9:06 pm

fenway wrote: you don't need a 170 in the same way you don't need to go to a particular school. if you haven't enrolled (much less graduated) in law school yet there is no conceivable way you could rationally form such a strict path for your life. you haven't taken a single law class, how could you possibly know what you want to study let alone pursue professionally? i don't mean any of this derisively, i just think you might want to be aware of the less than hopeful bind you are placing yourself in. best of luck though (be easy)



Not to be rude or anything, but, there is no possible way in which you could know what I need or don't need. I disagree with you that about having not enrolled or graduated from law school means there is no way I can form such a strict path for my life. Even if you have graduated from law school, of course you can form a strict path for your life, but there is no need to. You don't need a strict path just as much as I don't need one, or vice versa. You couldn't be more wrong.

h4rryp0tter
Posts: 26
Joined: Tue Jan 22, 2008 10:18 pm

Re: Do you think I could go from a 160-170 in 3 weeks?

Postby h4rryp0tter » Fri May 14, 2010 9:15 pm

bk1 wrote:
h4rryp0tter wrote:im averaging a 157~ I need at least a 170. If I study 10 hours a day for the next 3 weeks is this attainable? Also, if I study all summer long will it most likely improve my score moreso than if I studied hard hardcore these next 3 weeks? Im trying to get the highest score possible...it doesnt matter when I take it...but I am worried that if I take it in October and I somehow bomb it for some odd reason, then Im screwed. I am wondering maybe taking the June lsat and then cancelling my score would be the best because then I get practice with the anxiety factor. What do ya'all think?


How many are you missing on LG? If correcting all these would push your PT's over 170 then I think you have a shot. If not then I'm not entirely sure you can realiably break 170 in the short time period. If you wait till October you will have a better shot. And you also have December as a backup, albeit not the best but still an option.


Well I'm missing about 5 on each section except for LG which is about 2 on each section. I think if I could go through each problem faster than I would lower my mistakes-because some of my errors are due to omits. Will studying till October guarantee a higher score than taking it in 3 weeks? I just am not sure if I will a. run out of material b. studying longer means higher scores c. spreading out studying over a long period of time is better than cramming d. I know nothing is "guaranteed", but are my chances much better if I just wait and take my time studying? I ask this because I am not an experienced LSAT taker/studyer. I consider myself a good test taker so I know I can improve. Time is a factor right now. And also, if I took it in October, I would probably get extra time due to disability reasons.

I havn't gone through much material as of now. Havn't had much time to study because of school. I did take the testmasters course without doing any of the homework.

j nyc
Posts: 38
Joined: Mon Sep 28, 2009 1:43 pm

Re: Do you think I could go from a 160-170 in 3 weeks?

Postby j nyc » Fri May 14, 2010 9:23 pm

-
Last edited by j nyc on Thu Aug 19, 2010 3:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.

h4rryp0tter
Posts: 26
Joined: Tue Jan 22, 2008 10:18 pm

Re: Do you think I could go from a 160-170 in 3 weeks?

Postby h4rryp0tter » Fri May 14, 2010 9:27 pm

j nyc wrote:agree with difficult but not impossible.

couldn't break 162 a month prior to my lsat... i started taking practice tests regularly and studying at least every other day for 4-6 hours... i got into "the zone" and ended up getting a 175. getting the timing down of the sections really helped me. LR just clicked.

everyone's different though. good luck!


What would you do? Study 10 hours a day for the next three weeks (taking 1 to two practice tests a day) Or study all summer for 5 hours a day/every other day, while upping my reading abilities by reading a lot at night. I have nothing to do over the next 3 weeks thats why it is tempting to take it in June. But, I could also devote my whole summer to studying for the lsat/doing community service work.
A problem for me is-I tend to reread a lot of the LR problems/parts in RC passages because sometimes, especially on the wordy problems, I don't understand the language/zone out.

Options:
Take the June LSAT-if I am not up to what I want I can cancel with a "no-show"---How bad does this look?
Study for October LSAT-take it once-and hope that a whole summer of studying guarantees the score I want.

I don't have any other plans this summer.
Last edited by h4rryp0tter on Fri May 14, 2010 9:31 pm, edited 1 time in total.

fenway
Posts: 178
Joined: Thu Mar 25, 2010 12:30 pm

Re: Do you think I could go from a 160-170 in 3 weeks?

Postby fenway » Fri May 14, 2010 9:31 pm

you are absolutely correct. i have no clue what you presently think you need/want/desire. but what i can say is that there are too many variables ahead that prevent you from locking yourself into a black and white/do or die condition of where you "need" to attend LS (note: based on your score mark, you are probably applying to schools where being in the range is no guarantee of an acceptance). i didnt mean to say you couldnt know what you might want in terms of a potential field of study/area of practice at the present moment; i was contending more against the notion that your goal(s) are going to be static throughout life. since this predominately not the case, its somewhat neurotic to delude oneself into thinking there's only one option. everyone wants a good Lsat score. everyone wants to go to the best school. you have to fit yourself into reality though and broaden your perspective/options. if you end up getting into your dream school, that's awesome--i hope you do. but be fair to yourself and look at the numbers (percentiles, acceptance rates etc) to form some alternative plans that might also lead to your goal. again goodluck




Return to “LSAT Prep and Discussion Forum”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: addie1412, dontsaywhatyoumean, Instrumental, theboringest and 12 guests