Which prep-course to take? Any recommendations?

typ3

Re: Which prep-course to take? Any recommendations?

Postby typ3 » Thu Jun 03, 2010 1:49 am

OP you're asking the wrong question.

It's not which prep course to take, it's which prep course has the best instructor.

Do research in your area and talk to the instructors teaching the local courses (ask for student referrals, sit in on a class, etc) and make your choice that way. I took a TM and a Kaplan, and my Kaplan course was much better due to the instructor. The difference in material between the courses is negligible. You shouldn't give too much thought about the quality of the text explanations- you're paying for a live person so use them for examples and problems you're having answering question types. The prep materials of the big companies aren't significantly different, they all use the same pool of actual LSAC questions. Just find the best instructor who can explain things to you and go from there. Personally, I don't think the PScore bibles are the absolute to every LSAC question and section. I've gleaned important things from Kap, Nova, and PR at different point. Find a method that works for you and go with it.

JOThompson

Postby JOThompson » Thu Jun 03, 2010 1:52 am

The Kaplan course did very little for me. I noticed a fairly significant jump after committing myself to the PowerScore books though.

typ3

Postby typ3 » Thu Jun 03, 2010 2:07 am

It could have been your instructor. Mine scored a 179 actual and has taught the LSAT for nearly 4 years. I would've paid double to take a course with him. However, some of the Pscore stuff isn't what it's hyped up to be. I think the RC Bible is rather poor (Most likely because it is the newest addition to the series) Nova's is a lot better for RC imo.

HBK

Postby HBK » Thu Jun 03, 2010 2:19 am

tomwatts wrote:As "forty-two" indicated above, I mean the former. Back in the day (when Ken taught for us), we used to allow the latter as a qualification. I actually started in that era, so I didn't take the real test until I'd been teaching for a year and a half. But we changed the policy almost three years ago, and now all of our Hyperlearning teachers have to have real scores in the 98th percentile or above. The history is part of the reason for the confusion; if you talk to someone who took a Princeton Review class a long time ago, things were different.
HBK wrote:It didn't offend me, I just don't believe you.

I'm not sure why. It's all over our website. Instructor qualifications are a big deal to us now.

Thanks for clearing that up. I actually worked for PR, I guess before the change.

Why would I look at a PR website if I'm not looking for tutoring services? I wanted you to respond because you had the insight to answer my question. I wanted clarification regarding diagnostics v. actual tests, an issue that many companies try to obscure.

I'm glad your qualifications are such a big deal now, because I knew PR instructors who were functionally retarded when it came to understanding both the LSAT and general hygiene.

dhatfie1

Postby dhatfie1 » Thu Jun 03, 2010 2:26 am

Testmasters + practicing the methodology you learn on actual prep tests is TCR. I did this while working 40 hrs/week and still made a 12 point improvement. You also have to take into consideration the fact that Robin Singh works 1 on 1 with every instructor before he hires them to ensure their teaching ability and grasp of the material. It takes somebody who not only can ace the material but also who can verbalize it and "dumb it down" for others. Good luck :).

DGLitcH

Postby DGLitcH » Sat Jun 05, 2010 1:35 pm

ohiodem, thanks for posting about your experience with TM

Return to “LSAT Prep and Discussion Forum”